1 2 3 4 ... 60
Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/22/18 4:44 p.m.

wait.... you don't love square bodies? What is wrong with you?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
2/22/18 8:45 p.m.

We all have our own personal Albatross that we have to bear. laugh

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
2/23/18 6:46 p.m.

I love these trucks.  I have since I was about 12.  My first pickup was a rust bucket '65 longbed fleetside that I used WAY more than most rational people would.  It appears you have a typical example..."factory installed rust" and all.  I'm happy to read and watch as you enjoy it!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
2/23/18 7:06 p.m.

Also...I assume you've probably seen the Gibson63 uTube channel...but if you haven't, prepare to get a preview of what you'll be going through smiley:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4UL-VTK-NDesf2m-5bSMwQ

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/4/18 9:45 a.m.

THE PLAN SO FAR...

Since this is currently at the school, I selected a small group of my most trusted Level 2's to help go through this truck and get it road-worthy.  It just needs to make it the 25km to my house, where it will be properly molested.

Master Cylinder is rebuilt. I used two kits, just didn't use the residual pressure valve in the clutch cylinder.  The Master is a dual-piston unit, one piston for brakes, and another beside it for the clutch.  Strangely, the clutch piston is on the right, and the brake piston is on the left.  I haven't looked under the dash to see how they worked that magic.

Front Wheel Cylinders are rebuilt.  The wheel bearings are BALL bearings, and are properly knackered. I greased 'em anyway and I'm running them.  They'll get me home. Apparently replacement bearings are made out of Parkay, and don't last.

Rear Wheel Cylinders will be done next time we're in the shop (The Level 2's theory unit this week is Brakes, how fitting!).

Clutch Slave piston was stuck at the bottom of the bore, but I soaked it in Acetone overnight and heated it with a rosebud torch and it popped out ok. Seals are knackered, and I cannot get a kit for it. I -might- be able to hokey something, or I'll just cough up the $30 for a new one for that 25km drive.

All the while, I've been obsessing on how I want to build this, and what parts to use.

The latest thought is not to cannibalize my '77, as by the time I need the drivetrain, it will all be 9 years old and likely in need of a refreshing.  If I'm going to refresh anything, I'm not convinced it's going to be that driveline.

The other waffling debate is whether I want to stay stick (though not THIS stick), or go Auto. I -have- a high-mileage 700R4 on a shelf that worked when I pulled it.  Going auto means sourcing an auto column (want), or a hole in the floor (don't want). Building the 700R4 properly, for another snotty engine, means $1000 in parts (including higher stall torque converter).

Over the past few weeks, as I drove my '77 around (TH350, 2500-stall converter, 3.73 gears) as well as my wife's '02 Buick Century, I thought really hard about what I want (what I really really want </spice>). I like having a column-shift automatic when I'm carting my boys around, but truthfully, once this truck is done, one will be graduating and the other will be getting his own licence. Hauling them around will be limited. I like the auto for the ease of backing my trailer up my steep and curved driveway, but there really is only enough room to do it if you are very good, or lucky, or both. Lately I just drive straight in, and turn around in the back yard. I don't need an auto for that. And truthfully, as a control-freak, I truly prefer rowing the gears.

So it looks like I'll go stick.

Then.... which stick?

AND, I want A/C, which means driving with the windows up, so I don't really need the lump cam and the marginal fuel economy that goes with it (though that is hard to let go). So I might as well build a motor for torque. If that's the case, then the 350 in the '77 needs different heads and a different cam - and if I'm going to plunk the money down to do that, why do THAT motor at all?

So, I'm leaning towards a refreshed junkyard 5.3LS, with a stick of some sort (NV3500, WCT5, T56, TKO, whatever). I like the idea of cheap/easy to replace for "When Things Go Wrong."

"Over-thinking" is one of the reasons why I don't sleep.

All this means that I'll flog the '77 in the local classifieds when the time comes. With my philosophy of spending no more than $1000/year on a vehicle, by the time the '61 is done, the '77 will owe me nothing.

Still obsessing over the suspension mods.....

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/18 11:28 a.m.

Partial to the NV3500, that's what's in my '91 ext cab, but not too sure how it would handle 400+ hp.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/18 5:36 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Enabler......wink

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/5/18 11:36 p.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/7/18 7:29 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

Not much of a pickup left. I'd be ok with two low spots fore/aft of the axle, but that looks kind of silly.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/18 8:39 p.m.

I dunno, still seems useful. Similar to a flat deck. If you really want some sides I guess you could put those stake pockets to use.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/16/18 1:45 p.m.

Weren't there some Apache's Called "Dog Soldiers" Or were they Sioux.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/16/18 9:17 p.m.

A handful of my most trusted students have been going through the brakes and clutch and make them work.

Today we got a functional clutch pedal. Rebuilt the master, and got a new slave since I couldn't find a kit.

Brakes have all new kits in the cylinders, just needs to be bled. Rebuilt master. Shoes are all acceptable.

The front wheel bearings are POOCHED (but will get me home), and replacement flex lines just arrived today.

The truck needs to drive into my shop in the back yard; a tow truck will not fit.

Once we have brakes, we'll get it fired it up.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/6/18 12:13 a.m.

Kids bled the brakes today.  Now have brakes.

Next week the kiddies will try and fire it up!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/11/18 11:29 p.m.

The '61 ran today. 

I continued to lead my three students through bringing it to life.

Tank/pickup/lines are P-L-U-G-G-E-D nasty, so we just filled the float bowl. Accel pump worked.

Battery in - no drama. Lights worked, horn worked. Cranked fine, but no spark - points were corroded and were not grounding, but some fine sandpaper fixed that and we had spark.

Coughed a bit, and then I remembered "Is there a knob on the dash that is labeled "C" ?" Kid pulled the choke and it fired right up, and purred like the sewing machine the 235 is.

I'll pick up some 5/16" fuel line tomorrow so we can run it off a jerry can, and see what it does.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/12/18 9:48 p.m.

Drove it around the parking lot at work today. Wow we've come a long way since '61.

DEEP 1st. Still deep 2nd. Even 3rd, in a parking lot, isn't all that quick. HEAVY steering, and lots of it. Needs shocks like 30 years ago needs shocks.  Buyer's remorse??

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/28/18 5:39 a.m.

Drove the '61 home today.

I haven't been more scared in a very long time.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/28/18 6:29 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Lol. Why?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/18 8:54 a.m.

That's exciting! What's up first?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
4/28/18 10:59 a.m.
RossD said:

In reply to SkinnyG :

Lol. Why?

Because old trucks like that ‘61 take control inputs as suggestions...

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
4/28/18 11:38 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

Drove it around the parking lot at work today. Wow we've come a long way since '61.

DEEP 1st. Still deep 2nd. Even 3rd, in a parking lot, isn't all that quick. HEAVY steering, 

I still have not so fond memories of trying to parallel park my 63 GMC

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/28/18 12:07 p.m.
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/29/18 6:43 p.m.

Neglected the "troubleshooting and first starting" video.

"The drive home" will be uploaded next.....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/18 12:37 a.m.

"And I have never been more scared."

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/6/18 9:10 p.m.

Now parked until fall.  I'm twitching, wanting to get into it, but I owe my sweetie some house and home attention.  If I touch it, it will consume me as my projects do.

1 2 3 4 ... 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vgez6jT2PiiHuImcLGdE0tRR6PIZq0wHZMli7llSoqskZdfDFSWXRh2uYoY6xyjm