1 2 3 4 5
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/21 8:20 p.m.

I love these cars so much and yet have neither the patience nor the skill to sort one out as you are.  I will live vicariously through you, but rest assured I'll be looking at these on Marketplace shortly...

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
11/26/21 4:33 p.m.

Pulled the cams to put in some lopey boys... because hot rod

Did VCs in wrinkle red also because hot rod 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/26/21 4:36 p.m.

Oooh the wrinkle looks nice

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/6/21 3:29 p.m.

92mm billet snoot

stock is 74mm

thatll do nicely 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 4:32 p.m.

Daaaang

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/21 7:15 p.m.

Quick scrolling I was like "new bellhousing! manual swap!" when I saw the side-by-side intakes.

I guess you could say I'm disappointed?  Except I'm not.  Not even a little bit.

This is awesome.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/9/21 6:50 p.m.

Waiting on 1 gasket to get the blower assembly back together but in the interim I took a look at the A/W intercooler, one of the common things with the m113k cars as well as most cars with the cooler stuffed in the V is heat soak. Im approaching the cooling from another angle but that's another phase.

Having never taken one of these cars apart i'm kinda learning as I go with what's what. When I pulled everything apart I found the factory fittings are 1/2 inch. 

I pulled the fittings out and ran a bore scope into the end tanks, the drivers side was full 1/2 inch all the way to the rear and the passenger side was half inch for a short run then opened up. So with the idea of the more cold water I can get in and out the more I can deal with heat....

I opened them up to 3/4 on both sides and got some 12AN fittings burned on

So now the cooling circuit will be 3/4" from front to back, i'm going to run a trunk tank and a rowdy pump plus an interchiller so we'll see how well it all works 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/21 8:06 p.m.

Well this turning out quite fun. I also thought the new snout was a replacement bellhousing. 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/10/21 7:52 p.m.

Have plenty of DEI stuff laying around 

maybe it will do absolutely nothing but hey, hot rod

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/21 8:39 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

That DEI stuff absolutely does something, especially on heat soaking supercharged cars.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
12/10/21 9:10 p.m.

I don't know why I didn't see this thread before. You're doing great work, I love your simple solutions to the heat soak problem. 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/11/21 2:20 p.m.

Gaskets won't be here until monday which is a bummer but such is life. Got the meth nozzles together, going to run 800cc before the rotors and 400cc post IC. 

With the thickness of the mounting spot on the bottom side of the intercooler I got .250 extended  nozzles to get the nozzle face some protrusion past the material 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/21 3:09 p.m.

surprise  wowwwww, sweet build.  wish $4500 SL55s existed in my neck of the woods, vandalized or not.  

I don't think I realized they were SOHC engines...I knew they were twin plug, but never realized they only had 1 cam in each head.

el_cid
el_cid New Reader
12/13/21 3:18 p.m.

Any chance you still have the ABC pump around?

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/13/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to el_cid :

Yea man sitting on the shelf, you need it?

el_cid
el_cid New Reader
12/15/21 2:36 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

I do; the one on my S500 has been trying to die for a few years...

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/15/21 3:45 p.m.

In reply to el_cid :

all yours, I don't know if it's the original or had been replaced at some point but worked fine before I pulled it out. PM me your address and i'll send it to you.

BMWGeoff
BMWGeoff GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/21 3:48 p.m.

I love these crazy Benz projects... I wish I had the balls to attempt one someday.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/21 10:00 p.m.

This is epic. There's one of these all but abandoned locally. I really shouldn't stop by and inquire, but now I REALLY want to

golfduke
golfduke Dork
12/16/21 9:01 a.m.

Jeez.  this thread went from 0-200 VERY QUICKLY.  Well done.  Always loved the looks of this gen. 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/16/21 2:17 p.m.

Got gaskets and such, started making lines for the meth and IC. Going to cut off and change the fittings on the end tanks doesn't have enough clearance they way they are.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/16/21 2:32 p.m.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/21 2:52 p.m.

Really neat project.  Thanks for sharing!

Looks like it'll be completely bonkers when it's done.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/19/21 12:50 a.m.

dry run to check clearance

I added phenolic spacers in a continuation of trying to mitigate heat and add some more space for fittings and lines under to blower. I added studs as well to aid in keeping everything lined up 

snug under here but it's going to work once the fittings get moved

meth nozzle clears so that's a win

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/19/21 9:16 p.m.

I wish to nominate "meth nozzle clears so that's a win" as the GRM Sentence of the Week.

Carry on.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5O6Mv8rPYnuOJ03kcy2TCjfRQhSiRCCteWjOPzPBw2EZFqbqMUQ9QGYpMEAez2Dd