1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/16/21 9:18 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Katy track is in.....wait for it.....Katy! About 10 miles west of the mall just north of 10. If you know the new Bucees heading out that way you can just about see it from there. 

Woods riding is in the Sam Houston National Forest near New Waverly. There are actually two sets of trails, about 80 miles old them in the east part of the forest and another 50 or so in the west. We've just been riding the east side because it's a bit closer and we're far from bored with them. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/17/21 12:55 p.m.

This thread started out as a way to document me turning into a motorcycle racer and has sort of veered off into "all the motorbikes!" which is fun, but I am still actively trying to become a better racer. Even with riding 2-4 days a week, my fitness isn't what it needs to be to ride the NSF100 for 5-7 sprint races. By my 5th race the other weekend I was tired and not performing how I wanted to. Enter this hateful thing. 

I'm a very on again off again runner. I've done a bunch of 5 and 10k races, half marathon, trail running, fixed a bunch of biometric issues by learning to barefoot run, it's a long story. The big takeaway is that when I can comfortably knock out a 6-10 mile run once a week, I'm in shape and I can't to that now. 

The plan is to very very very very slowly ramp up from what's comfortable now, half a mile at a 10 minute mile pace, to that 6-10 miles by the end of the racing season. Going to focus more on foam rolling and stretching and keeping myself limber and feeling good than anything else. When I'm in Michigan this summer and I can run outside easier I'll work on mileage a bit more. Blech. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/21 5:05 p.m.

I hate exercise.  My wife gets and immediate endorphin high when she works out.  I just want to lay down and take a nap after.  I feel better both physically and mentally and I can maintain my focus longer in the race car if I exercise regularly but I hate the actual act. In December of last year I bought a mountain bike and I've been riding that regularly.  Since then I've lost an inch off my waist and endurance has improved dramatically. 

I'm not sure what my point is except, good for you for committing to a regimen, it'll pay off and maybe try mountain biking.

I'll double up on the Mountain bike recommendation. It'll open up a whole other world of trails that you probably can't access on the dirt bikes. If the exercise is fun it makes it a lot easier to do, it will also keep your brain occupied as you pick lines through the rocks and trees carrying your speed along.

There are some amazing trails in Michigan, check out trailforks.com to see if anything is near you during the summer.

Only downside, you'll wonder why you are spending so much on something that doesn't have an engine and you'll likely be driving to trail heads. Maybe get a second bike for road/gravel riding...

mazdeuce - Seth
3/17/21 6:00 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I don't like running. I like that I went running. I do like mountain biking and have a semi functional rigid 29er that has a SS/fixed rear wheel that works well on the trails here that are low on elevation. The hitch is that the riding opportunities are basically in the same place that I ride dirt bikes in the national forest. Separate trail systems but the same forest/neighborhood. This means that mountain biking is a whole thing that I have to pack up and drive and all that. I like it, but not THAT much. I'd rather run and suffer and then spend my actual time doing fun things. All of this changes when I'm at my cottage and can do some nice gravel road biking right from my door. Then I bike more. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/17/21 7:37 p.m.

what is the name of the Katy facilitiy .............in KATY????

mazdeuce - Seth
3/17/21 8:30 p.m.
3/17/21 8:35 p.m.

Thank you Mr Lemke.....get back on your incline walker whodathoughtit and turn it up ....late

mazdeuce - Seth
3/19/21 10:13 p.m.

My friend Dave owns and operates Rally Ready outside Austin. I don't visit as much as I should. Today we took the bikes over and rode around on the stage roads and the couple miles of super tight singletrack. We also hung out on the porch and caught up on time missed. It was a good day. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/19/21 11:37 p.m.

I mostly hate running and have never done it enough to not suck at it.

Pressed for time, I did get on our treadmill a few weeks ago, and discovered that the Sufferfest app I use for cycling has some running workouts. Harder to map the requested efforts, but it still made it go by faster.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/21/21 5:07 p.m.

Dirt bike stuff. Lots of trails, kid#3 found the gentle motocross track at one place. I fell on the trails going zero mph (because bikes do that when they stop) and smushed a rib. Not "broken" broken but it's ouchie. 

Back at the track today to loan out the 70 to a friend who has been waiting in parts hell for almost two months with a 10 year old who already has leathers. He did great. Left the track tired and so happy with the 70 in tow. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/22/21 11:19 p.m.

How do the Groms do on track?

mazdeuce - Seth
3/23/21 6:24 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

They're the most popular single make at our endurance events. 17 bike field last time and 6 or 7 of them were Groms. 

That said, like all street bikes they're too soft and will drag metal bits around the corners as delivered from Honda. Upgraded suspension and higher pegs, strip off the lights and just go ride it. They ride like a weird mashup of a dirt bike and a street bike. The bike wants you to sit upright with elbows wide out like a dirt bike but the turn in is quick with the geometry and 12 inch wheels. They're not my favorite bikes to ride, but they are my favorite bikes to race because in our region you've always got someone to battle with and that's the real fun of racing. 

They are also the one and best option for a street legal bike to ride at the kart tracks. You can (and several people do) race your plated and insured race bike one day and take it to the store the next day. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/21 11:32 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Honestly groms make so much since for so many things, they are great commuters also. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/24/21 3:08 p.m.

The YZ125 was awesome last weekend, but the rear felt weird. Pulled the subframe and the rear shock and the swingarm would only move about 3 inches before hitting MASSIVE resistance. I pulled the linkage.

Going to have to find a good online source of bearing dust because it fell out when I pulled the sleeve. Lacking fresh bearing dust, or new bearings, I actually cleaned and repacked all the needles with fresh grease. Ideal? No, but I'm not going to let the bike sit for a week or two until I can get new bearings in. Things actually move mostly properly now. Going to be a whole new bike. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/24/21 3:10 p.m.

Oxygen!

3/24/21 3:53 p.m.

Is there a zerk antwhere to found????

mazdeuce - Seth
3/24/21 4:42 p.m.

Not that kind of bearing. I mean, you probably could theoretically drill for a zerk and drill the bearing shell to match and then make it all work, but these are quite small. They would make lovely wedding rings for not large hands. You're supposed to be a good dirt bike owner and take it all apart and grease it once a year or so. Probably takes a few hours to get all of them if they're in good shape. Nobody I buy bikes from seems to know this. 

3/24/21 4:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Not that kind of bearing. I mean, you probably could theoretically drill for a zerk and drill the bearing shell to match and then make it all work, but these are quite small. They would make lovely wedding rings for not large hands. You're supposed to be a good dirt bike owner and take it all apart and grease it once a year or so. Probably takes a few hours to get all of them if they're in good shape. Nobody I buy bikes from seems to know this. 

But as we all know, you are just the person to tackle such a task.....wanna do head gaskets on my DuraMax LB7?

mazdeuce - Seth
3/24/21 5:42 p.m.

Absolutely not. That sounds terrible. Have fun! laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
3/24/21 5:44 p.m.

In other news, my friend in Austin is heading back to his house with this beauty that I need to retrieve from him. 1989 TW200. I have the best friends. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/24/21 6:01 p.m.

Excellent buy! 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/21 7:00 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In other news, my friend in Austin is heading back to his house with this beauty that I need to retrieve from him. 1989 TW200. I have the best friends. 

If I could find a good deal on a tw200 I'd buy one all day. They hold there value better than any bike I have seen. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/25/21 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

This one was cheap enough that I couldn't NOT buy it. I was shocked it was still there when he got there. I sent him the CL ad when it was less than an hour old, so from the time of listing to selling it was about 2 hours and the guy said there were several other calls. No idea what I'll find when I start playing with it, but my friend is riding it around his yard having fun, so I think I'm going to do ok no matter what. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/25/21 8:44 a.m.

I've been looking at those on the market. Once I catch up on my to-do list I may need to get one "For the grandkids." From the Wiki:

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iIWVj0ifj56IrruzpvvZFCl47ivweqZsfESoqwLRJDGKuHsicWeJeNNiH25y5FM9