1 ... 20 21 22 23 24
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/29/21 2:52 p.m.

Long weekend. We drove to Dallas to ride the KartMoto track at MSR Creason. Well, the kid did, I was being responsible and trying to let my rin heal. Neat track, big and fast for a kart track. One of the other dads went out on the endurance bike and got knocked down hard enough that his helmet got retired. 

Kid#3 also finally found a bike she feels cramped on. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/29/21 3:13 p.m.

Drove back Saturday night planning on a quiet Sunday but woke up to a "Help!" text. My friend allllllmost made it home to Austin with the 1993 MR2 that he bought in Tennessee. So close. 

So that was my day from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM. Fun stuff. The major upside is that this is the same friend who picked up the TW last week and this moved the pick up date up a few weeks. 

She says no riding with just shorts again ever. Didn't burn herself but she felt the hot. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/21 3:30 p.m.

Every time I see a tw200 I search for one for a few days. 

I have buzzed around the yard and test rode bikes in shorts. The heat is real. 

kumar0raja
kumar0raja New Reader
3/29/21 4:29 p.m.

I'm super excited. We'll see which kids fit on it when I get them home from school.  teatv app  sbi hrms

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/21 4:46 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

She says no riding with just shorts again ever. Didn't burn herself but she felt the hot. 

They've faded quite a bit but in the right light you can still see the scars on my wife's leg that she got from the twin pipes on her CL 350 the one time she rode in shorts.  That event is also notable in that it's the first of the very few times in our 40 plus year relationship that she told me that I was right.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/7/21 6:47 a.m.

Out testing shock/spring combinations to try and reign in rear wheel chatter and I tried to get all artsy with pictures. I need to use a better camera. 

This got posted locally, tagged and titled big bore 110, made me think of you  the want is real. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

That would be a VERY good time. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/21 9:03 a.m.

Trying to create the culture I want to see in the mini community, so that means bringing three bikes to the track when it's just me so other people can take advantage of their one day off when they have a broken bike. We had a fun time, rode all the bikes, but it was my 5th day at the track and I was tired. Money shifted the XR100. sad It'd always shaken that off before but after this time it wouldn't rev past about 7k (usually goes to about 11k) though it still started fine and the compression felt good. I was still sad thinking that I may have killed the motor after so many reliable laps. Brought it home and pulled the valve cover to find this. 

Adjuster nut off and laying in the head, adjuster backed off all the way. I'm impressed it ran so well. I'm not 100% certain how an overrev caused that, but I put it back together and it seems to run fine. I'm going to do a cam chain adjustment in a few minutes and then take it back to the track to make sure it's ok. Tough little buggers. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/12/21 12:35 p.m.

I looked back at.the beginning of this thread and my first day on track was 5/26/19. Having no real experience, it took me a few days to get knee down, even on the little bikes. 

Yesterday, 4/11/21, not two years later, I had to change out my right elbow slider. 

Life is interesting. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/12/21 8:37 p.m.

More elbow is always a good thing ......be safe .....peace out

mazdeuce - Seth
4/16/21 6:16 p.m.

Races this weekend. Kids team is down to two riders for the 4 hour enduro. And it's supposed to rain for part of it. Should be an interesting day. Kid#3 does the oil change and safety wire herself like a pro now.  Putting the ill fitting plastics on still makes her want to throw tools across the room. We're working on that. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/16/21 10:12 p.m.

"throwing tools " is all part of this madness....maybe some words of caution, but please do not discourage....make sure you're not down range....wink

mazdeuce - Seth
4/20/21 8:56 a.m.

More racing. Blew up the purple bike. Fell down in the rain. Had a good time. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/20/21 9:13 a.m.

Do you have special rain tires?  A whole bike or two with a rain setup?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/21/21 7:14 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

We do have a spare set of wheels with rains for the Grom. But it's complicated. They're essentially grooved super soft tires, as rains are. You can't run very long in the dry with them before they melt off the bike. That means that you can really only run them in an endurance race if it's going to rain ALL DAY, or if the speed you pick up makes up for the time that it takes to change wheels. We haven't run them yet. We're waiting for the right event. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/21 7:18 a.m.

I get asked if there is any friction between karts and bikes at the track. I'd be lying if I said there were NO kart guys who think it's their track and they shouldn't have to share, but we've worked really hard to reduce that. I spend a lot of time helping to lift karts off stands, push starting the shifters, and all of the stuff where a kart guy needs a hand. We always talk to the karters and make sure everyone knows what the rotation is, especially when a kid kart shows up and there is an extra rotation thrown in. We especially give the coaching extra room often spending a day riding around cones that are on the bike line because that coaching brings extra money to the track and the guys who work there. Mostly though, we do all of this because the youngest karters are adorable and tiny kids in karts make the world better. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/21 10:30 p.m.

I don't know if you have come across the 44T youtube channel but this past year they have ran a small Suzuki in similar racing to you over in the UK. They just posted the video from their first race of this year, looks like a very hectic way to race with the number of bikes and abilities/classes/speed all on a kart track all at once.

The main guy in this video (who raced British Superbikes in the past) also did the Colin Edwards Boot Camp which looked like a lot of fun.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/4/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Colin's is a neat place. They have flat track events out there about once a month. Small bikes, all air cooled four stroke singles that max out at about 160ish cc when modified. Several of the kids that race with us do that and one of the girls (super fast) instructs at the boot camp events. It's 25 minutes from my house. 

Mixed class endurance racing is always chaotic, the bigger the speed differential and the more bikes on track the more that's true. We encourage everyone to endurance race with us to have the experience. The seat time and the situational awareness you gain is invaluable. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/21 9:08 a.m.

Seth, I've been listening to your podcast a bunch lately and I've really enjoyed it.  Obviously the topic is motor-sports, but I find a lot of your discussions thought-provoking in more general terms. 

The talks about mental preparation are ones that I would share with my teen kids.

Thanks for doing those.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/9/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thank you. Just thanks. The two of us have a shared document where we have ideas about future shows. We've filled quite a lot of space with interviews and talking about events, but we have a LOT of topic shows we want to record. If have a "thing" you want to talk about, let me know, we can get you on the show and tear your brain apart. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
5/9/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Kid#3 is getting a handle on the new bike. Playing with body position, lean angle, what is really faster, that sort of thing. I can't catch her on this bike either. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/9/21 5:49 p.m.

Amazing!!!!!....which bike is that? When will the T'shirts be available......I'll take XXl? 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/9/21 7:28 p.m.

Seriously, she’s going places. Kick ass.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/21 11:21 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thank you. Just thanks. The two of us have a shared document where we have ideas about future shows. We've filled quite a lot of space with interviews and talking about events, but we have a LOT of topic shows we want to record. If have a "thing" you want to talk about, let me know, we can get you on the show and tear your brain apart. laugh

I'm not really sure I've got any ideas for a show, but I'll keep it in mind.  From a motorsports perspective, I'm pretty squarely in the "newbie" category.

If you're going to do amateur psychology on me you'd better make it a double episode!

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2cTnzfl04ZI1agsaoWxQnXkVintAHEA4lxIO7hQwVY9VejNgk5lBhJGCKYXasp0