1 ... 21 22 23 24
bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
5/10/21 2:14 p.m.

Seth, I didn't realize you had a podcast.  I just listened to your race season wrap up episode, and wanted to mention how refreshing it is to hear your perspective on teaching/coaching, parenting, competition, and how it all ties together.  I get pretty worn out hearing about kids' ultra-competitive sports and how seriously the parents take it all.  It's nice to hear people doing fun things just to have fun.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/11/21 2:41 p.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

Thanks man. Sometimes I feel like the odd man out not believing and pushing my kid toward a pro-moto career, but there really are a bunch of us that believe that doing things just for fun is worth it, especially with our kids. 

And speaking of fun, this drone footage was taken a bit over a month ago when we were outside Dallas at Motorsports Ranch Cresson on their Kart Moto track. Three kids, two adults, I was out that day with a cracked rib from dirt bikes the weekend before. It's a cool track. Sound is terrible, but the footage is fun. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/21 3:37 p.m.

I recently listened to the DK#3 podcast.  Even without the introduction I would have known who's kid that was pretty quickly.  You can consider that a compliment to both of you.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/21 4:00 p.m.

The intro sequence with the riders buzzing the horizon, then getting chased down by the drone is awesome. Well composed.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/14/21 4:44 p.m.

Eyes forward!

Nader
Nader New Reader
5/14/21 6:32 p.m.

I don't believe there's a way to have more fun on wheels than racing small motorcycles.  (The thrill, economy, convenience, managed risk, and camaraderie with others who do it).

mazdeuce - Seth
5/15/21 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Nader :

Agreed. 

In other news, Mrs. Deuce may become a member of the dirtbike crew. This is her first time ever riding a bike with a clutch despite owning a manual car continuously since she was 17. She did great. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
5/15/21 11:10 a.m.

Motorcycle Momma!!

mazdeuce - Seth
5/15/21 5:55 p.m.

Kid#3 is now 0.1 off her fastest time on the old motor. About 6hp down. Corner speed is WAY up due to the kind gentle nature of the new bike. Even the knee puck is happy about that. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/15/21 6:13 p.m.

Seth , this is simply amazing .....what is she like after a session when she returns to the pits...."dad I stunk that up".....what I'm saying is does she beat herself up for not going faster???  This along with all the other knee/elbow to the pavement shots are priceless ......thank you so much be safe and mend up.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/21 2:24 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

She has bad days. Usually it's when she can't get the bike to behave either because of mechanical issues (jetting, tires) or because of weather. She does a good job letting things roll off of her. She does get tired. She's 85lbs of teen girl. Even the small bikes are big to her. For instance, we had fun on dirt bikes yesterday, but it was hot and the sand was deep and her bike was running GREAT which meant all the horsepower wanting to wheelie her off. Handful in the woods. We probably did one more loop than we should have because I was having fun and she was humoring me.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/18/21 1:50 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce is rough drafting some art. Maybe for a quilt? Maybe just digital? She hasn't decided. I'm amazed. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/28/21 2:57 p.m.

Riding with friends. Kid#3 had a chance to get some good laps in on an Ohvale GP-0. She got along well with it. Elbow achievement unlocked. 

Nader
Nader New Reader
5/28/21 4:18 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce needs to update the art.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/28/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

That would make such a cool quilt. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/28/21 8:42 p.m.

Have you had the chance to ride an Ohvale? Very curious about these bikes.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/30/21 6:35 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I've had plenty of chances but I don't ride them. I find them too small to get in a position to ride in a way I want to. I'm sure I CAN ride them, but I've always got my other bikes at the track so I turn down the opportunity. My daughter quite likes them now but when she rode one a year ago she came off and said "I'm not ready". The bikes ask a lot of you physically. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/12/22 8:57 a.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/12/22 9:05 a.m.

Im sooo glad to see you back man. Been missing you around here 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/22 9:36 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im sooo glad to see you back man. Been missing you around here 

Totally

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/22 10:09 a.m.

When I saw your comment in the OLOA thread I actually wondered if you guys were still racing bikes. Thanks for answering my question!

mazdeuce - Seth
4/12/22 11:44 a.m.

I wouldn't say I'm "back" at least not in the way that I was, but I have missed the lot of you. The last three years have been 200+ days at the track, over 10,000 laps on motorcycles, two endurance championships for me, one for my kids, a bunch of sprint race and championship wins. Competed in a handful of trials events and rode dirt bikes in the woods as often as possible. But, in the last year more car stuff has been creeping in, the podcast, helping out with Grid Life Touring Cup cars, and now back on One Lap with Bob. It's hard to stay away. 

My daughter has developed into a very fast, very confident young woman. She's made the decision to start college two years early in the same way that my older daughter did, even though that means essentially giving up motorcycle racing for that time. She has a passion for tires, how they work and more broadly how people interact with vehicles in dynamic and NVH ways and thinks that pursuing a degree in materials engineering is the best way to head in that direction. 

So I'm going to lose my riding buddy in a few months and I'll have to see how that affects my bike/car ratio and what I'm doing moving forward. I still have a lot of dear friends in both camps. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/22 11:58 a.m.

I listen to your podcast every week (fun!) and I was surprised to hear you talk about your daughter was going off to college.  I knew she was about the same age as my Sophomore daughter.  What program has her enrolling at 16?

And why have we not seen any trials pictures?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/12/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

The Texas Academy of Math and Science. It's really a weird overlap of the last two years of high school and the first two years of college. They admit them as a peer group that are all the same age and they live in a dorm together and have a bit different rules than normal freshman, which is good. My older daughter had an outstanding experience with the program and it opened a lot of doors for her as well as just providing something for kids that really are ready for college earlier than most. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
4/12/22 2:31 p.m.

Dammit Seth.  I had finally shaken the desire to buy a few minis and build a little dirt track at my house.  Then you come along and remind me how much fun I'm missing.  If we had a kart track close enough to home, I would already be riding/racing there thanks to this thread.  It's good to see you're still out there having fun.

1 ... 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JR0UAaE2PN0IV4Zj1X6KxQxxCfEgTOLasQL2KGtI9Hxd7QRm9LIU70mRWuH2Exww