birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/22 1:01 p.m.

Because this is GRM, I figure I might as well start a preemptive build thread for one of my next projects; a BBQ / smoker trailer. My hopeful budget is $250. I'm going to attempt to scrounge up enough scrap material to make this happen for as close to free as possible.

I'll start with this: $0 investment 

I have a stainless steel food cart I can use / sacrifice. $20 investment

I'll be stealing (taking) an old utility trailer out of the field behind the family farm: $0 investment. No pictures yet. 

There are a few shops in town where I can get free pallets and scrap angle iron. 

https://smokerplans.net/collections/propane-tank-air-tank-smoker

Has a ton of plans and ideas, but I'll likely just wing it and hope for the best. 

Anybody want to play?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/4/22 2:08 p.m.

I'll be following this build, as it's cool. 
But the compressor looks like I'd be worth more to me, as a compressor, than as a smoker! Same for the cart. 
I still like an old fashioned oil drum. Cut on a slant for a clam shell opening, rather than the typ. 1/2 cut or panel cut out door. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/22 4:55 p.m.
03Panther said:

I'll be following this build, as it's cool. 
But the compressor looks like I'd be worth more to me, as a compressor, than as a smoker! Same for the cart. 
I still like an old fashioned oil drum. Cut on a slant for a clam shell opening, rather than the typ. 1/2 cut or panel cut out door. 

I don't have three phase power at my shop and this thing is going to scrap if I don't re-home it soon. I COULD convert it to a 10hp motor off a standard 240V 50A plug, but that's a more expensive endeavor than I really care to take on right now. I'm not too keen on having a gas powered compressor that requires me to go start it and shut it off. I'm spoiled and want air on demand, with zero effort. I suppose I could sell the compressor for a handsome profit, but that's not as fun as a BBQ trailer. And I'll likely list the motor and compressor head once I remove them. 

The food cart is literally just sitting in my way currently. I had grand plans to make it a portable powder coat oven, but again, that costs more than I am wanting to put in to anything right now. 

I can get scrap metal for free. The trailer was free. The compressor was free. 

Heck, maybe I can sell the BBQ setup for a hefty profit when I'm done. Or, I'll be the most popular guy at car shows and races.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/4/22 11:04 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

I hadn't thought about the 3 phase! Not surprised now that I think about it, considering the look. 
Def. gonna be a cool build. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MDVMrWQVmTl4z2cDF8Cl7g1kqgO91Lqu5dU0rfAEisVBIwSx1Fer8QeSF67WGZzE