untchabl Reader
11/23/21 6:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Ah that makes more sense.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/23/21 6:51 a.m.

In reply to untchabl :

Yup! Its interesting that they almost clear the front brakes though. I doubt theyd be this close if they had more backspace though. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/21 6:58 a.m.

That looks a lot like an aero or bassett circle track steel wheel. They have a very deep recess in the center of the barrel an a fair amount of taper. Finding some brakes that fit inside and having to make caliper brackets is an idea, but not exactly bolt together.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 7:00 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to untchabl :

This is the rx8 front brakes. From the 18 inch wheel version of the car (largest brake package) that i was hoping to clear 15s on. 

But, the 8.8 rear discs clear the 15s perfectly 

Oh yeah I could have told you that'd be a problem. It's tight on the low end brakes for a 15.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 7:05 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Kinda what i assumed. And im super suprised that they even came this close to fitting, honestly. I could legitimately run them with a 3/4 inch spacer and never have an issue. Which may be a post challenge life solution, but then makes the overall width stupid wide, and i have no idea what that would do to the handling.....

Worst case i have free trade fodder in this set of wheels. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/21 7:19 a.m.

To put 15's on the front of Datsaniti (G35 front end that came stock with 17s) I had to run a 1" spacer and grind the caliper maybe 1/8" at the worst spot. Those were chunky OEM alloys though.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/24/21 8:57 a.m.

I am looking forward to watching this build. Hopefully you don't mind a couple of questions:

What bellhousing takes the ls to the GM 4 speed? 

Do you have to worry about bump steer and all the other stuff people talk about that I don't understand when swapping the RX8 steering over to a different car, or is that alleviated by using the entire donor front end parts? 

Do you have a horsepower goal for the LS to go along with the max rpm goal of 7k? 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/24/21 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Ask away! People asking questions makes me realize that theres things i haven't thought about yet. 

Bumpsteer: should remail the same as the rx8 was. My concern is in mounting the subframe assembly itself, as im sure any change of angle on it will affect something that i don't understand or know exists. Im hoping to get lucky, that mounting it parallel to the ground with the lower control arm mount in the same position as the amc stuff gets me close enough on the ride height and geometry and such. But i honestly have no idea, as im making completely wild guesses here. Seat of my pants engineering....

Bellhousing: big block/12 inch clutch bellhousing. Later 70s truck are the most common. This supposedly allows me to use an off the shelf four speed, off the shelf ls1 flywheel and clutch, and ls7 pilot bearing and have a simple, reliable, inexpensive manual trans. The other option is to use a one ton 6.0 flywheel from an 04 truck, as it spaces the clutch closer to the trans for more engagement. Ive seen it done both ways on lstech, so im going with the cheaper gamble first.

Power: id like to ket 300-350 at tbe wheels, and would be happy woth 6k rpm limit on a challenge budget. 7k would be much preferred though. 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/24/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

thanks any target weight goal or guess? 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/24/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Hopefully under 3k with driver 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/24/21 6:25 p.m.

met a nice guy named tim. Tim has a 496 powered 70 chevelle. Tim swapped from a four speed to a tremec. Tim sold me his Saginaw four speed, hurst shifter, big block bellhousing thats cracked, and used big block clutch and throw out bearing for $300. 

Other than picking up the ls when i have space again, i have all the major parts on hand for the build. 

Current budget total: 1360 with 0 recoup used. Oof. 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/26/21 4:57 p.m.

so i finally got the pressure washer done. Its better, and enough to start with in the spring. I at least feel better about it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/3/21 4:52 p.m.

untouchable is an awesome enabler. 

These were losted at late last night for 75 a set. Pirelli p zero trans am radial slicks in 275/690/15 (27x10.5x15) with only a few heat cycles. Take offs from so.e team. 

They were local to him, and he swung by and grabbed four sets for me. 

I think this confirms widebody and nascar wheels.....

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/21 6:32 p.m.

I think this deserves a "Hell yeah Brother!"

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/3/21 8:19 p.m.

Glad that I could do my part.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/3/21 8:53 p.m.
untchabl said:

Glad that I could do my part.

So am i!!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/21 9:24 p.m.

How big are those relative to the 15" hoosiers you got me

Dusterbd13-michael
12/3/21 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

If i could remember what hoosier i got you....

But probably the same size, plus or minus half an inch. Assuming the Hoosier are the f40 i ran in 2017

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/21 9:39 p.m.

Ok those are ginormous for my needs, still have the bagged f40's because I decided not to challenge the wartburg 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/10/21 1:34 p.m.

fireproof shift boot assembly: 15

4x nascar hood hinges $15

1x nascar trans crossmember: 10

Also, i scored a spare, completely unknown 5.3(? May even be a 4.8) for $50 from my scrap metal guy. It was in the bed of a truck he got. No pictures cause its laying in the woods behind his trailer until i find space. We don't even know if its seized, but i figured the spare accessories and intake were worth it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/14/21 7:30 p.m.

So, busy weekend for this coming up.

Friday, joe brings the ls to me when we go to get his new p.o.s. from the dude in Norwood. 

Saturday, the scrutineer from scca will be here at 2 to review the cage and the plans for the car so i can build towards logbook. 

Saturday, untouchabl may be coming by as well,but thats not guaranteed yet.

Need to get the shop cleaned up and the amc indoors on stands before then. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/21 4:33 p.m.

the $40 22 gallon cell is going to be interesting to fit. But we'll get it. And i got a free filing cabinet to build a can for it. 

Please take a look in This thread about the subframe swap and give feedback. I need smarter people. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
12/16/21 6:14 p.m.

Sweet! I'm stoked to see how you do it.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/21 12:48 p.m.

joe has some stuff he forgot like the gas pedal,  manifolds, and fuel pump. 

But the $500 5.3 is home 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
12/17/21 9:22 p.m.

Stop Stop Stop!!?!?!???!!!......so when will I have my epiphany and get over 1st gen SBC and embrace all that is LS???  will it be subtle or will I awake bolt upright in a cold sweat.....immediately searching for a bullet and a patient!?!?!???.....or do I go around the grosh and survey my '91 L5 with a NV3500 saying perhaps this might be the 'answer'......wink

1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NGQY5GWAml0BpzC0SwkVcNVJrfHEF9XwxxmAyt4i0mNTJVbfSU1lNouzxwSqFku3