10/9/22 8:53 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/22 1:40 p.m.

One (1) each, bottom starter twin distributor 12A, 4 speed ribcase transmission

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/16/22 3:51 p.m.

RX-3 is now gone.  Some guy named Logan who messes with Porsches and multirotor RX-7s has it now.  If anyone can make anything of it, he can.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/22/22 11:46 a.m.

We still got four out of five gears and that ain't bad!

Channeling my inner Latvala to finish runs without 2nd

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/22/22 1:24 p.m.

Actual in car footage

Fuel cut is at 10,2 and I am hitting it.  Amazingly I have only done one clutch burnout on the 1-3 shift

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/22/22 2:59 p.m.

2 seconds faster not using 2nd gear.  I will chalk this up to course degradimproving.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/22/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Me and Logan where talking about this purchase yesterday. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/22/22 11:50 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Hopefully he doesn't hate me now smiley

Cannot find my Garmin, it is either somewhere in the Volvo or somewhere in the RX-7 and I was literally falling asleep while sitting in traffic on the way home so I ain't gonna go looking for it now.  Been an extremely long day.

But I did find my Go Pro.  Here's my second run of the day.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/23/22 9:39 a.m.
wae
wae PowerDork
10/24/22 10:19 p.m.

I don't imagine this would be at all useful?  Came up in my nightly Craigslist trolling: https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/d/cincinnati-rx7-manual-transmission/7549605088.html

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
10/25/22 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

ooooooooohhhh logan. hope to see something interesting soon then. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/26/22 6:51 p.m.

When I buy a tire I get what I paid for

Interesting second compound peeking through.

Alignment not great, not terrible.  Rear camber is eating tires, can't really do anything for it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/26/22 6:58 p.m.
wae said:

I don't imagine this would be at all useful?  Came up in my nightly Craigslist trolling: https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/d/cincinnati-rx7-manual-transmission/7549605088.html

Makes no sense, you cannot use '80 trans housings in an '85 car.

Regardless, I can buy complete B2200 transmissions for $100 and they have the same ratios.

It is all irrelevant because the car will not be legal next year, and I have made peace with that.  SWVR may hold an event in November, if they do I won't be there, not going to thrash to get the car sort of put together, and that was my last good driveshaft.

Backing up.  When major chunks float around in the fluid, they get between the output bushing and slip yoke and destroy the slip yoke.  Which is part of the driveshaft.  It destroys the bushing, too, but replacement transmissions usually come with those smiley

When I got to Evan's, the trailer was well lubricated with transmission fluid after limping the car 118mi there.  Under certain speeds and loads you could hear and feel the yoke gyrating in the trans because of how much play had developed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/1/22 6:51 p.m.

The nostalgic smell of dust burning off of long-dormant heating devices.

I didn't use this one at all last year after getting the mini torpedo.  But I used up my propane tank and kinda forgot about that, and I still have some little 1lb bottles of "camping gas" that this will also run on, and frankly it is less of a fire hazard, so until it gets super cold this will do.

Er. Until the camping gas runs out, this will do, at least.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/15/23 1:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
7/13/23 7:40 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/14/23 9:05 p.m.

'81 has been given fresh oil and filter, a serious bath inside and out, and a Frigi-Fresh service.

The passenger seat had been some sort of mouse Mecca, and when I went to McD'd for lunch after the pizza joint failed to get me my salad, I turned the A/C on and was greeted by the raunchiest mouse pee smell ever, right to the face....  

While under the hood I noted that all of the belts were loose.  Hmm.  Rotated them around and noted that large chunks were missing from the alternator and air pump belts.

Hey, I have been to this movie before!

Ran across the street to Autozone and grabbed a new 15320 and 15350 belt, had a spare A/C belt in the car, swapped out, all is happy again.

But those belts were new as of last year.  Very curious.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/15/23 10:26 a.m.

And the reason I dug the '81 out of storage?

Old microwave doesn't fit through the Volvo's trunk aperture...

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/23 9:55 a.m.

Drove some epically awesome roads this morning in Eastern Ohio, lots of hills and curves and zero traffic.  Very awesome time in an old RX-7 with rally-esque suspension (225lb front, 150lb rear, Bilstein HDs all around).  Fast and flowing and telepathic handling and just enough power from the 12A that shifting a lot was mandatory yet not bothersome.

Then I found myself at a rallycross.

Let's have some fun!

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/23 12:21 p.m.

First heat down.  Course is about 30 seconds long and very slidey.

I am used to a car that pushes under power and has steering where you don't have to take your hands off the wheel.  This car has neither of these things.  My first run was laughably bad, between getting behind on my steering and wildly oversteering when I tried to power out of slides.

I also think the rear shocks are not doing much of anything anymore.  There are a couple big dips that the car is really unhappy with.

Oddly enough, lacking power is the least of my concerns, although we did not run up the Big Hill yet.  Car is running cool as a cucumber, finishing runs at 180F.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/23 1:51 p.m.

Just sittin in grid, blastin the A/C

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/23 2:44 p.m.

And we made it through!  I picked up a large amount of dumb-ass on my third afternoon run and almost but not entirely avoided running into a large berm.  Car is still cool as a cucumber, aside from a few baubles am coming to grips with the handling.  Was finishing runs at 190F, felt comfortable cranking the A/C on between runs with no cool down needed.

It feels weird to finish an event and all I have to do is put the cooler in the trunk, no changing tires or putting tools away or hitching up a trailer. Feels kinda neat.

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ca1LrAc7CUOsPi29eW2CPZK7yYBSxoZ9r2yITMrXIdfqjV8I0CKA1aSnHCuD51sl