1 ... 14 15 16 17
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
5/4/14 9:16 a.m.

yup. hi it harder with the lowering stick. about another inch or so all the way around.

what are the camber curves/alignment specs like on those cars? any reason NOT to lower it as far as handling dynamics go?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/14 9:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: what are the camber curves/alignment specs like on those cars? any reason NOT to lower it as far as handling dynamics go?

The wrong way around. (Positive camber gain as the suspension compresses) There's a bunch of reasons not to lower it. Go back and look at the pic of the Trans Am version and see how much front wheel well had to be cut out...

Javelin
6/24/14 10:09 a.m.

Went drag racing in the Javelin for the first time on Saturday night. Here's the best pass:

The 2.5 6-' is horrendous, it has no grip, even with 255 BFG's. I will have to get the slicks mounted up, there's just no question. Still though, a 15.4 @ 90 isn't half bad for a smog 360 in an all steel car. I need to weigh it and figure out what kind of RWHP it's making.

Javelin
6/24/14 10:34 a.m.

Pics:

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/24/14 11:20 a.m.

90mph trap speed is pretty darn good! Plus, you did first finish the other guy, so we'll say it's a win.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
6/24/14 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Badly doctored pic removing hte flag pole and rear ond of the silver truck.

Looks awesome BTW, you'll get me to stop hating AMC's at this rate

Javelin
6/24/14 8:12 p.m.

Thanks for the edit!

I made 11-12 runs, something like that. I went to bracket race with the Pontiac Club I'm in (yes, we all race our non-Pontiacs, it's pretty hilarious actually). Got 1 qualifying pass (it's first time down the track) at a 17.2 (at 88 MPH!), broke out the first round and lost by .05 seconds, then kept doing fun runs trying to minimize the wheelspin. The last 4-5 in a row were all 15.4-15.6 with 2.5-2.6 60's. I'm having my ET Streets mounted on some steelies for next time.

I think a Cherokee XJ rear axle with an LSD is in my future...

oldpaint1
oldpaint1 New Reader
9/1/14 11:16 p.m.

Great to see activity back in this thread!

Obnoxio
Obnoxio New Reader
9/2/14 9:02 a.m.

This is a great thread. Neat car to bring back to life. I do think your car would look awesome(r) with one of those SST type ducktail rear spoilers. I always liked these cars and now I wanna go save one.

Javelin
11/20/14 8:20 a.m.

Autocross pics!

Whole album here: https://www.facebook.com/CascadeRacing

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/20/14 8:29 a.m.

Love the autocrossing!!

I just noticed the drag racing stuff from a few months back (sorry) and I noticed that it's quite inconsistent. Something that... not-crazy-fast (no offense) should be within a tenth. Your wheelspin must be bad. Were the trap speeds consistent?

No matter what, keep it going. I am happy-time watching cars driven like that instead of in perpetual restoration mode like mine is.

Javelin
11/20/14 9:05 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

The wheelspin was horrific. It's a 2.73 open diff, so I basically had to idle off the line and slowly feed in the power, and it would still haze the tire. The best 60' was still over 2.5 seconds. That's why there's now a 3.73 LSD Ford 8.8 sitting in the carport next to the Javelin... It has the MPH right now for mid-14's, but that would obviously go up with a better 60', too.

Javelin
3/8/15 9:11 p.m.

It's alive!

I think it's time to throw some wrenches at the Javelin again...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/8/15 9:29 p.m.

Car look great!

Can't tell if you ever lowered it or not.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/4/15 1:13 p.m.

Come Jav, whats the deal. I hadn't seen this thread for ages, I must have missed the March update, I had to find it via my Google Foo as there is no search engine on here worth the name.

Status? what happened to the thread about it going off for restoration last year, or was I dreaming?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/4/15 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

See below.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/im-a-dad-again/100938/page1/

oldpaint1
oldpaint1 New Reader
5/18/15 11:08 p.m.

Such a pretty car, and glad to see the thread is still alive. Congrats on the addition to the family too!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/15 12:09 a.m.

Congrats for making it into the magazine!

Javelin
6/18/15 10:48 a.m.

BIG news coming! Tuesday 6/23 at O'dark-30 PST. Stay tuned...

Javelin
6/18/15 11:02 a.m.

Yes, the car is still alive. I've basically spent the last 18 months just driving it. I did go drag racing once and autocrossing once with it and bought a mint grill at the PIR Swap Meet. I put some new tires in the back (275/40ZR17 Dayton Daytona's) and it finally made GRM's reader's Rides page.

But yes, my life has mostly been playing with my new son.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/18/15 11:09 a.m.
Javelin wrote: But yes, my life has mostly been playing with my new son.

As it should be.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
6/18/15 11:50 a.m.

Starting with the April 11, 2014 posts I am only seeing Red X's instead of pictures. I need to see Javelin updates!

Javelin
6/24/15 12:29 a.m.

Boom. Yes, that just happened. I cloned my car.

Javelin
6/24/15 12:34 a.m.

This one is actually a 1974 Javelin, obviously still Trans Am Red. It's really similar to my car, SST package, PS, etc. This car somehow ended up with a rebuilt 304 with a lot of good stuff on it, with a 727 Torque-Flite, a 3.54:1 LSD rear axle, front power disc brakes, and A/C. It's also a black top/black seats car.

It's been hit in the rear and has a rusty passenger floor. I'm taking almost the whole front clip, driver's door, the whole interior, and the whole drivetrain for mine and/or spares/selling fodder. The idea here is to use all the parts I need to make my car nice (front bumper, valance, black setas, A/C, etc) and sell off the rest (rocker trim, hood, glass, grill, motor, etc) to fund the purchase and hopefully some other upgrades, too. Found this one on CL in Hillsboro and had a friend retrieve it for me.

Tomorrow my car should be visiting it in the shop so they can swap rear axles...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
6/24/15 7:23 a.m.

your thread has me craigslisting amc nearly every time.

all I can find are rusted out hulks that people want 5k for. Like it's a barracuda...

edit: found you a factory rear spoiler. http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/5018899324.html

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kCfKlfbqysaAXHu2UEeqs06ioHI8BKJv4EnFhEHHZ0bJpxaZIngbaO6E8w9W1xYW