1 2 3 4 ... 24
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/1/18 8:37 p.m.

Our church once had the 15 passenger Ford with the I6 300 although we were blessed with the automatic tranny.  Fill it up with 14 teenagers and pretty much acceleration was a bit of a challenge.  For some odd reason I really enjoyed driving the van.  

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/18 8:54 p.m.
logdog said:
Dirtydog said:

Time capsule.  Blank canvas, now have some fun.  Nice score.

We are trying to decide between a heart shaped bed with mirrored ceiling or a waterbed with skylight.laugh

Image result for poconos love hotels

Ala "Poconos Love Nests" of a bygone era.?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/2/18 7:25 a.m.

Very cool van, and sooo easy to work on whe it's upside down. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
10/2/18 7:32 a.m.

You're getting a personalized plate, right? 

FRE CNDY

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/2/18 10:02 a.m.

Love it!

Makes me want to make some butterscotch pudding.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/2/18 10:46 a.m.

I would take a 1960s FoMoCo Racecar vibe take on a Daijban with this thing. Especially with the low back seats.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Bud Moore Mustang repackaged as an Econoline!   

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/2/18 12:52 p.m.

Damn. Such a cool van. Nice score!

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/18 1:17 p.m.

I bought my first junkyard part for it today courtesy of the fine selection at Harrys U Pull It, a hood prop!  Of the 3 vans from this era they had, only one had the rod.  All were missing the bushing I assume goes in the core support.  But, no more chunk o' wood for me!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/18 2:45 p.m.

Hood prop?! Damn that's luxury!

logdog
10/2/18 7:44 p.m.
Harvey said:

Hood prop?! Damn that's luxury!

You think that's luxury?  This thing has AM radio AND FM!

logdog
10/2/18 7:47 p.m.

Its been an exciting evening as I installed the hood rod.  I found a piece of vacuum hose from a 93 Civic makes a fine bushing replacement for the core support.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/2/18 9:38 p.m.

logdog
10/3/18 5:38 p.m.

The hard core mods continue tonight as I decided to tackle the broken visor.

The retaining rod was broken on the driver's side. 

I had doubts I would find a matching visor but I was able to get just the rod.

The rod was broken in half with part stuck in the visor.  I was able to drill a hole and pull it out with a screw.

The new to me rod was pushed in and the visor now works to manufacturer design and intent laugh

I figured it was best to knock the big and difficult repairs out of the way first.

logdog
10/4/18 3:07 p.m.

Im sure its no surprise the shifter bushings are a little worn.  Its not the worst but its something on my mental to-do list.  I believe Ford used to sell a kit with all the pieces to rebuild a 3 on the tree but most of that stuff is NLA.  I had a friendly Ford parts guy try and find me the number.  He wasn't able to find the kit but he gave me some individual parts and a exploded view.  At some point I will look on ebay and in the aftermarket to see what I can find.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/5/18 6:31 a.m.

Coco-Cola and Levi gave away Ford vans of that vintage with a floor shifter, wonder if the folks at Hurst could help.

Dan

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/5/18 7:03 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

You need look no further than OEM to find a floor shifter for one of these. 

This one is in a factory 351/3 speed Econoline for sale in Michigan. 

We had an 81 E150 that we bought brand new that was a 300 with a 4 speed OD that also had a floor shift. I loved that setup so much that I hoarded every factory Ford floor shift that I found in a van. I now have three of them and still haven't figured out what I want to do with them. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/5/18 7:13 a.m.

Also, I just put 2 & 2 together with your Cali JY thread. What parts are you looking for?  I hit a ton of junkyards. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/5/18 7:18 a.m.

Thanks for the steering column diagram. I just passed that on to Cotton for Fergus. It's mighty hard to find the bits and pieces that go inside the three speed columns. 

logdog
10/5/18 10:54 a.m.
914Driver said:

Coco-Cola and Levi gave away Ford vans of that vintage with a floor shifter, wonder if the folks at Hurst could help.

Dan

Hurst offered a universal floor shift conversion that was carried on the shelf in pretty much every parts store back in the day to convert. Im sure there are still a few around.  I plan on keeping this one column shift.  Its just too cool and rare these days to change. 

logdog
10/5/18 11:00 a.m.
Cooter said:

Also, I just put 2 & 2 together with your Cali JY thread. What parts are you looking for?  I hit a ton of junkyards. 

I am using my love of walking through junkyards as an excuse to look for some small pieces I can pack in the suitcase (I packed the big suitcaselaugh)

On my shopping list are -

Sway bar brackets.  Since Candy is a stripper, she didn't come with one.

A center panel around the radio in better chape than mine.  Finding one with out vents might be tough.

A license plate light socket assembly that isnt completely broken

a spare hub cap or 2

Emblems for the fenders

That's not all inclusive but I figure I have a good shot at finding 1 or 2 of the items.

logdog
10/5/18 11:01 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Thanks for the steering column diagram. I just passed that on to Cotton for Fergus. It's mighty hard to find the bits and pieces that go inside the three speed columns. 

Glad it can help somebody else.  Thats what makes this forum great!

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/5/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

I totally get that, so I'll leave you to it. 

Keep me in mind if you don't find what you need.  I'm usually out there anyway, for the same reason as you. laugh

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
10/8/18 10:11 a.m.

I'd 4wd the heck out of this van.

logdog
10/14/18 10:07 a.m.

We are beginning the 2019 automotive hijinx with the Candy Van.  The wife and I are all signed up for the Moscow Rally.  Thankfully all Candy needs to be ready is some light work.

1 2 3 4 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BAr4Bu2g1r2lfMU0Ee7vgdMXa54I3wxjOhpgIJvRcbCvPVdFDfz9LiEf8gbTrRwE