1 2 3
StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 1:15 p.m.

So, the wife's Fiat Palio piece of E36 M3 finally has reached it's limits. 

The day we bought it, we said we will drive it till the wheels fall off.

We were the 4th owners, and during the last 2 weeks, I was fixing more than drive that POS. 

So a friend of her's lent us her 2015 GWM H5 2.4i.

She inherited it after her parent's passing due to Covid.

Next thing, she is offering it to us to purchase. 

So, this will not be a modifying guide, or build up of any nature, but more of a record keeping for what I have done to it in terms of maintenance. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 1:20 p.m.

So some more specs on the vehicle. 

It is a 2015 GWM H5 2.4i 4banger, with 160k km on the odo. 

Our friend's dad was second owner, and he and the previous owner had it serviced at dealerships, so full service history, but no record of what was done on most of the major stuff. 

So when I receive the vehicle, I will go through it with a fine tooth comb and see what needs to be done to make it fully reliable, as Mrs Stripes and little Stripes is the main occupants of the vehicle. 

So some random pics we took of it.... 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 1:26 p.m.

Some more engine photos... 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/21 1:31 p.m.

Are you in South Africa? In North America at least the Chinese invasion began years ago, with more troops daily arriving on every container ship and UPS truck.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/15/21 2:06 p.m.

Not a chance. Ever.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
10/15/21 2:40 p.m.

That thing is RWD? You're in Australia, you know what must be done. LS swap!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Yes. I am. I am a firm believer in German(VW) and Japanese(Toyota and Nissan), but this vehicle was really a godsend with all the trouble we had with our Fiat.

The build quality is much better than the early 2000's models first shipped here

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 3:33 p.m.

Well, with some research it seems that this specific model uses the same chassis and suspension as the 2010+ Isuzu DMax models and the Mitsibushi Sirius 4G6x engine and matching gearbox that is proven in South Africa. 

Edit: Sirius series engines... Not Sirion which is a model in the Daihatshu car maker

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 3:34 p.m.

In reply to jdogg :

Yes it is, but this is the family vehicle. And LS engines in SA, is more expensive than a lepricon's pot of gold

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 3:37 p.m.

My daily is a 1991 VW FOX( SA model  mk1 Jetta) with a 2L swap, original motor was an asthmatic 1600

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/15/21 3:47 p.m.

Standard features include:

Electric windows all around

Automatic climate control

Powersteering

Reverse cam with reverse sensors

Full leather interior

Bluetooth connectivity for calling

USB and Aux inputs for music

Now the same year model Toyota Fortuner with the same specs is still for sale for almost 10times the price that these H5's go for. 

And it features a 4 link rear... We had this vehicle for a week long as a loaner while fixing the Fiat for the umpteenth time, and we fell in love... 

Honsch
Honsch Reader
10/15/21 5:00 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

My daily is a 1991 VW FOX( SA model  mk1 Jetta) with a 2L swap, original motor was an asthmatic 1600

I like the cut of your jib, sir.
They make fine race cars if you're willing to suffer.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/21 6:31 p.m.

When I was in Australia the Great Wall ads you see everywhere were interesting.

It seemed like you could get a brand new diesel powered double cab 4wd truck for the equivalent of $8999 usd.

That was in 2019 btw

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/15/21 7:51 p.m.

I wonder what the Chinese use for Taxicabs which run every day , 

do they have a Mercedes type 4cyl. diesel  that runs forever ?

No Time
No Time SuperDork
10/15/21 8:12 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

Well, with some research it seems that this specific model uses the same chassis and suspension as the 2010+ Isuzu DMax models and the Mitsibushi Sirion 4G6x eengine and matching gearbox that is proven in South Africa

Sounds a lot like the way Hyundai entered the US market with Mitsubishi engines and transmissions (same as a few model year older colt).

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/17/21 4:50 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

We are buying this one for R56k(US$3860) while new they were R250k(US$17230).

Comparable with a 2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 D4D, no 4 cyl petrol models, that currently sells for R330k(US$22740), it really is a bargain what you pay for.

And with diesel prices being as high as they are compared to petrol in RSA, I would rather take the consumption hit every month, and still come out on top.

While doing research on buying this vehicle I noticed that service items, ie filters and plugs, are the same prices as the 1.2 Mpi Palio it is replacing service prices, all the while the 2.0VGT diesel's diesel filter on it's own is more expensive.

Also, the timing kit is due on this vehicle, and pricing, again, is on with the little Palio while the diesel version's is costing about what I am going to get for the Palio's sale, about R10k(US$690).

And do not get me started on the shocks/dampers... Luckily this thing has new ones, but the Palio's needs replacing, which in it's case needs to be special ordered, while DMax shocks is available of the shelves. 

So just in maintenance I am saving money compared to what I could be saving in fuel consumption between the diesel and the petrol. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/17/21 4:53 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

4G69 (2.4 liters)Edit

4G69 In Grandis

The 4G69 is a 2,378 cc (2.4 L) version built in Shiga, Japan and Shenyang, China. Bore and stroke is 87 mm × 100 mm (3.43 in × 3.94 in). Output is 120 kW (161 hp; 163 PS) at 5750 rpm (160 in the Sportback Wagon) with 219 N⋅m (162 lb⋅ft) of torque at 3500 rpm. It has a cast iron engine block (later switch to aluminum block) and an aluminum SOHC cylinder head. It uses multi-point fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with roller followers and features forged steel connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold. The 4G69 incorporates Mitsubishi's MIVEC Variable Valve Timing technology.

Mitsubishi ceased any further development and production of Sirius engine after 2012 model year, and its joint-venture, Shenyang Aerospace Mitsubishi Motors Engine Manufacturing Co., in China is now the only one producing 4A9 engines (improved to aluminum block while adding timing chain) for the Chinese market.

ApplicationsEdit

NB: From 2005 a slightly detuned version developing 115 kW (154 hp; 156 PS) and 220 N⋅m (162 lbf⋅ft) is used across the entire Lancer range in Australia.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/17/21 4:55 a.m.
No Time said:
StripesSA1 said:

Well, with some research it seems that this specific model uses the same chassis and suspension as the 2010+ Isuzu DMax models and the Mitsibushi Sirion 4G6x eengine and matching gearbox that is proven in South Africa

Sounds a lot like the way Hyundai entered the US market with Mitsubishi engines and transmissions (same as a few model year older colt).

As can be seen by my previous reply, they are indeed sturdy and reputable engines. And looking at some photos I already have posted, this vehicle does not use the Mivec head that the Lancer's had, but the older 4G64 SOHC 16V head.

And I am in the lucky position that my BIL worked for Daimler-Chrysler till middel last year, on these motors, so he will be assisting in doing the timing belt and tensioner replacements

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/17/21 5:00 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

There diesel motors currently are their own design, but in the South African market and climate they are under performing and troublesome. Turbo's failing, diesel pumps failing and injector tips needing replacement.

Somebody mentioned earlier LS swaps, but the not a lot of Chev or Holden vehicles coming to RSA with LS engines, we are resorting to the Lexus 1UZ(Non-VVT) and 1UZ-FE(VVT) swaps, witch is cheaper than a turbo

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
10/25/21 11:15 a.m.

Bank loan was approved today, so money will be in in a couple of days. 

Started getting the accessories together

Hella Rallye FF500 spotlights

Door edge protector in a 2.5meter roll. Enough for all four doors. 

Rear bumper protector for loading stuff and not scuffing it. 

Oh the perks of working at Midas.  All items will be bought at staff discount. 

Still to get is a decent set off horns(hooters in the British South African slang) , and although the Hellas do come with a wiring harness, I will be building my own, since I am adding Hella Nightbreakers and I want maximum voltage at the bulbs, I will be relaying the whole headlight system, so decent wiring and sleeving is next to get. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
11/2/21 1:54 p.m.

So went to pick up the H5 this evening after the Palio gave it up today

Typical GRM filling station pics, including the misses and the little one... 

And the FOX sneaking a quick photobomb... 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/2/21 5:51 p.m.

Are these the ones that fold up on impact?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/21 7:46 p.m.

I've had my 04 Lancer Ralliart wagon (estate) since 2009. It's a very rare car here in USA, only imported for one year.  

I don't normally autocross it but it had to fill in for my Miata recently and it's done quite a lot better than I would expect. 

I'm very happy with the 4G69 engine. 162/162 HP/torque in this application.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/2/21 8:00 p.m.

In reply to maj75 (Forum Supporter) :

Depends on the year. I saw as high as 4 stars for ncap rating. That's a far cry from the early zero rated ones!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 New Reader
11/2/21 10:06 p.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

Are these the ones that fold up on impact?

Nope. These models are way more sturdy that the first models

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LtqnK72W8K29sf807ZqVzgTU9qj1k0MQFY7mgD4UVUvRdjKuwdIUkZdj6tfNzTy