1 2 3 ... 12
Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
7/24/13 10:02 a.m.

Well, our Factory Five 818 has arrived and it's time to start wrenching. We've sent a GRM build team up to Very Cool Parts in Alabama, where owner Wayne Presley will be helping us build the car. I'll be posting updates as the team continues to make progress.

Here is the 818 being unloaded:  photo GRM818unload_zps4125fbca.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates, for now check out the project car page: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/818

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/24/13 10:48 a.m.

Oooo, fun!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/24/13 11:19 a.m.

yay!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/25/13 6:42 a.m.

It really is hard to believe that you can completely strip a modern car in five hours. of course, putting it back together would be much tougher. Our donor car, a 2004 WRX, was a nice clean car with 117,000 miles and a very light front end hit. Honestly, we could have easily fixed this car for about $1500. It came from an insurance auction and cost $4400. It did have a salvage title. We should be able to sell about $1500 in parts off of the car.

Darren Vannoy
7/25/13 9:02 a.m.

Well, looks like the team made a good amount of progress yesterday.

Here is the aforementioned donor car ready for surgery:  photo 818DonorCar.jpg

Getting the first look at the new kit, the 818 comes packaged within itself to save money on shipping.

photo 818ShippingCondition.jpg

The body panels are taped on with the finest white duct tape, for now.

photo 818TapedSeams.jpg

We're bagging and tagging every part to keep track of it all.

photo 818Sharpies.jpg

It didn't look too daunting, until we noticed the pile of additional boxes in the corner of the shop.

photo 818Boxes.jpg

Our donor car, stripped and out of the shop.

photo 20130724_153419_zps3154938c.jpg

Plenty of Subaru parts to go around.

photo 20130724_173342_zps1f3a5ee7.jpg

Darren Vannoy
7/25/13 10:19 a.m.

Meet the GRM build team: http://youtu.be/S0O15uI7LEE

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/25/13 10:27 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: It really is hard to believe that you can completely strip a modern car in five hours. of course, putting it back together would be much tougher. Our donor car, a 2004 WRX, was a nice clean car with 117,000 miles and a very light front end hit. Honestly, we could have easily fixed this car for about $1500. It came from an insurance auction and cost $4400. It did have a salvage title. We should be able to sell about $1500 in parts off of the car.

How many people were involved in the stripping?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
7/25/13 11:33 a.m.

3.5 people. I helped a little bit, but mostly took photos.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/25/13 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

That's fast work!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/25/13 12:34 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: That's fast work!

I prefer quality over speed in my strippers.

On topic: That is impressive; I'd have it all stripped and then be left wondering what went where.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
7/25/13 2:34 p.m.

Did a similar speed strip job on a 95ish impreza a few weeks ago. Lego car...

we then spent the bulk of the next day scrubbing the interior of the bare chassis in hopes it wouldn't smell like ass anymore. (ours was stripped to be built into a racecar)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/25/13 7:50 p.m.

All of us involved are pretty experienced, but unlike a lot of those TV shows, this is a real deal, with real people in a real shop with normal tools.

There is no one handing us new parts when we get ready to install stuff. Spent most of the day, sanding, pressure washing cleaning and painting.

Ahhh, the life of a high powered publishing executive.

Finished the day with the best barbecue I have ever had. I am starting to really like life in Alabama.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/13 1:47 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: 3.5 people

Half a person seems like more of a hindrance than help. Especially if it were the right half of a left handed person, and if it's the bottom half they would be next to useless unless there were big bugs that needed to be squashed.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/26/13 5:57 a.m.

Day three starts shortly. Getting up early to keep up with my regular work. Today we will put the new Spec clutch into the transmission and then install the engine. The original clutch was toast. From there we will start hooking up brake lines, cooling system, wiring, etc. If things go really, really well today, we will be driving by day's end. When we come back in a few weeks, crazy Tommy wants to drive the thing back to Florida. I guess that is the ultimate representation of the confidence of youth.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/26/13 7:34 a.m.

Isn't it, though? Let him do it, but follow along behind with a regular vehicle.

Then again, he does have a cell phone.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/26/13 9:05 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Isn't it, though? Let him do it, but follow along behind with a regular vehicle.

No, the best trips are always one in an unproven car. Who knows what will happen? It's like motoring back in the 40s.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/26/13 11:15 a.m.

The whole Suddard family just went through that with the Merc.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
7/26/13 11:30 a.m.

Damnit Tommy... more pics already! Don't leave us hanging!

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
7/26/13 1:31 p.m.

huh, I figured you'd be using the white challenge priced car as a donor. That built motor would certainly be fun!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
7/26/13 1:39 p.m.

Damn this thing's gonna be a twitchy SOB. Just checked the build page linked in post 1. It lists the following:

Wheelbase:None in.

Not sure if that's a transitory situation as it's in build, or if that's the final target. The berkeleyer will change direction on a dime if it's the latter.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/26/13 2:32 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Damn this thing's gonna be a twitchy SOB. Just checked the build page linked in post 1. It lists the following: Wheelbase:None in. Not sure if that's a transitory situation as it's in build, or if that's the final target. The berkeleyer will change direction on a dime if it's the latter.

From the FF website:

" The car’s new wheelbase is locked in at 95″ which is a little longer then an Exige.”

Wheelbase: None? That would be a unicycle.

Darren Vannoy
7/26/13 3:44 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: huh, I figured you'd be using the white challenge priced car as a donor. That built motor would certainly be fun!

Not really logical to use a perfectly street-worthy car as a Donor. Plus, that's Alan's car now.

Here is episode 2 of the series on choosing a donor car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3sBJ5rShic

I'm uploading pics now.

Darren Vannoy
7/26/13 3:52 p.m.

Compression test on our Subaru power plant:  photo 8186_zps65129592.jpg

We removed the body panels from the 818:  photo 8181_zpsd2d41fc7.jpg

Which brought us to a stripped chassis:  photo 8183_zps6566c9c4.jpg

Now that the chassis is stripped, we can begin riveting the aluminum panels in:  photo 8182_zps6643489d.jpg  photo 8184_zps801ab706.jpg

Electromotive goodies for the project:  photo 8185_zps868b1cd8.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/13 4:03 p.m.

What adhesive is being used for the aluminum? Is the frame powder coated or painted and does the adhesive work chemically with either? Need to do this on my MG soon so was wondering.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
7/26/13 5:14 p.m.

Stand alone with the electronic dash. Nice.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
skFe8LosFLN4NTKhG6i8JQ062LbnPapem8P9C4VYg2z3JFHoW7tMEkXMJmkN3GMS