1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 52
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/3/22 2:27 p.m.

Leaned the OMP seat back a little, and it's just about perfect.  One thing I noticed immediately is how much stiffer the OMP seat is compared to the Corbeau FX-1 that came out.  Guess you do get what you pay for... wink

Rain sabotaged some of my planned work for the day, but I did get to one project that I'd been trying to get done.  Due to the hood vents, I usually use a piece of painter's plastic over the cam cover to keep water out.  Last time, I forgot to remove the plastic before starting the car and it made a nasty mess on the header.

Tried acetone and a couple other tricks, nothing worked.  Today, some very careful application of a razor blade, 320 grit and scotch-brite got it back to looking new...

I think all that's left for the NA right now is my usual pre-event inspection.  Next event is on 12/17 to shake down the suspension changes.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/16/22 7:52 p.m.

Truck wouldn't start this morning without a jump.  It was 18 deg, but that's never stopped it before...

Around 2.5 years ago, I had one of the batteries in the Ram replaced under warranty because one of the original batteries failed at less than 3 years old.  Dodge dealer refused to replace both at the time.  Now the replacement is bad.  The other original was still holding on, but I'm sure carrying the load for the other battery has shortened it's life.  Bought two new Interstate batteries at Costco this afternoon since we're leaving for the track in the morning and it will be 15 deg.  Don't want any more surprises.

And the truck turned 50k miles this morning.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/17/22 8:25 p.m.

Last event of 2022 is in the books.

It was 37 degrees when we rolled into the paddock in Phoenix in the pre-dawn darkness this morning.

Once the sun was up, it warmed quickly, but the first session was a little sketchy.

Kona is becoming quite the track dawg...

A few F-35s were flying at Luke AFB (the runway is right over the fence from the track) just to press home the fact that the noise limit at this track is a complete joke.

The NA wasn't all that happy about starting in the cold weather, but once we got past that, it ran like a top, as usual.   The new seat is awesome.  The suspension mods paid off, with the car being much more stable everywhere.  I do think it lost some weight transfer with the stiffer springs, as I was locking the fronts a little easier than usual, so I may end up making a small bias adjustment.  I didn't see any big improvements on the clock, running about 1 second off my personal best on new tires, and these tires aren't new.  Good enough for a class win in time trial... not a bad way to end the year.  smiley

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/18/22 9:33 a.m.

Still having issues with my data system.  The ASL hardware works fine, and the Race Capture app is pretty good, but the 3rd party display I've been using has been completely unreliable in gettting the app to run with ECU data in a stable manner.  It only works properly about 1 out of 4 engine starts.  Once it warms up a bit, I'll see if I can download any session data at all and pull the video.  This has been pretty frustrating, and I'm considering dumping it all and starting over with AiM.

On another note, there was a Cardinal Coupe at the track.  I forgot to take a pic, but here's one from Google:

Homebuilt, Ecoboost 2.3 power.  GRM thread on it here:  Cardinal Coupe

The one at the track was unpainted, and the fiberglass looked a little rough n' ready.  The rest of the car's construction looked pretty good.  Didn't have a chance to talk lap times with him.  I still think for that kind of $$$$ I'd be looking at used NP01s...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/21/22 10:36 p.m.

Last weekend was the first time we've had a pro photographer in attendence in a while.  He got some nice shots!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/22 8:05 a.m.

Your Miata looks the business - and great! 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/24/22 4:31 p.m.

Thanks!

Today was moving day.  Since we bought the RV, I've been waiting on an indoor storage unit for it, and one finally became available this week.  

Not much of a move, since it's the same facility... only about 200 yards.  Should help quite a bit in the effort to keep it in nice shape.

I decided to keep the outdoor spot we had been using for the RV, and move our trailer from the facility we've been using for the last couple of years.  It will be closer to home here, and I will be able to load/unload a car on-site if necessary.  That wasn't really practical at the other site.

Downside is being parked next to the porta-john guy...  better the trailer than the RV, I guess... 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/1/23 2:50 p.m.

Our 'spare' NB left the nest today, on a gloomy winter morning...

Ever since it donated its manual drivetrain to the white NB, it's been sitting, waiting to become a Ghettocet or a replacement chassis for our NA if we wadded it up on the track.  With the acquisition of the Capri, it was likely to sit for a long time.  A young racer posted on another forum he was looking for a Miata roller to build a track car, and we were able to make it all work out.  I hope to see it on the track one of these days!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/7/23 11:13 p.m.

One left the fleet last week, one joined this week... marathon 750 mile round trip today, more tomorrow.  I'm exhausted!

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
1/8/23 7:46 a.m.

As a fellow Miata owner, I really enjoy following this thread. The work you do is excellent 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/8/23 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Rramirez :

Thanks!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/8/23 4:11 p.m.

So we've taken another step toward our retirement plan of 'track tourism' via RV.  The eventual plan is the smallest/lightest stacker I can track down that would fit the NA track car, and a street car underneath.  Our Grand Cherokee is a little too big, and a LOT too heavy at over 5000lbs, so the search was on for a practical, but fun and interesting car to fit on the bottom of the stacker to be our runabout while traveling.

I put together a list of candidates and started looking.  The leading candidate was an E30 Touring, but it was proving difficult to find one with a 6 cyl, manual transmission, A/C and in nice condition.  I also started looking at E36 Tourings, which offered a newer, more modern car with only a slight penalty in weight and size.  Of course, none of these came to the US, so I was looking at an import for either.

After unsuccessfully bidding on a couple of cars, I won an auction on Cars & Bids on Friday for a very nice 1996 320i Touring.  I was really happy to get this one, as not only was it a very nice car, but it was in CA, 'only' 375 miles away.  That would save me ~$2k compared to shipping from the East coast.  And the car was already titled and registered in the US.

Yesterday, we made a 15 hour round trip to CA and picked up the car.

Of course, from the auction pics, I was comfortable with the condition of the car, but it's always nice when you're expectations are confirmed in person.  The car is super nice!

Today, I unloaded the car and really went over everything, and gave it a wash.

The car has the M Sports package, and is entirely stock except for the exhaust tip, which is about exactly what I would have chosen myself.  I probably wouldn't have chosen the chinesium tires that are on the car, but at least they're new.  So far, the only things I've found that needed attention are the lack of a driver's side floor mat and dead hood support struts.  Both are ordered.  I'm pretty impressed with the 2.0L six so far, it gets along pretty well for only being rated at 148hp.  The car is tight and drives very well.

I do need to find a US E36 owners manual so I don't have to google translate everything I look up... LOL

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/8/23 11:34 p.m.

That is a very cool wagon.  I thought it was an E36 M3 from the first photo.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/9/23 9:28 a.m.

If there's no records on the cooling system being replaced recently, do it.  Replace ALL of it, so radiator, expansion tank, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, hoses, fan clutch, etc. 

Very nice car, I'd be extremely tempted to S52 engine swap it...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/9/23 10:13 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

The cooling system is definitely part of the maintenance baselining plan.

I'm really tempted to S52 swap it... devil  But, I have far too many other projects going to get into that now.  Looking forward to just driving it for a while.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/9/23 7:13 p.m.

Busy day today...

Moved the NA and Capri to agreed value insurance policies with Grundy.  Saved me about $200/yr, and won't have to argue value if something happens on the rare occasions they are street driven.  Grundy was really easy to work with.

Got the Touring titled/registered and insured, and made a tint appointment.  That's going to be expensive with 437 windows, but it will be worth it come summertime.

Also took the Touring for a flog up and down the local mountain road.  The car is nice and tight, and even the chinesium tires had decent grip.  The 2.0L straight 6 is a joy to drive, if not overly powerful.  Filled it up at the end of the day to check mileage, which was 24mpg for the 100 or so miles I've driven it today.  Not bad for city driving and a mountain flog... laugh

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/12/23 6:49 p.m.

Spent some time this morning with these:

and Google translate, to figure out a few things on the Touring.  Also installed the new hood struts, and pulled each of the wheels to inspect the rotors and brake pad condition a little more closely.  Everything looks good, but I already hate BMW's wheel bolts... cheeky

Then it was time to move things around so the NA could get put up on stands for its 'between events' inspection and a brake bleed.  At least it was nice outside today.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/15/23 12:50 p.m.

Cold and rain/snow outside today... perfect for working in the garage.

Today was finishing up the 'tween events inspection on the NA and bleeding/flushing brakes.

I always start by sucking out as much old brake fluid as I can get out of the reservoir without uncovering the ports.  I bought some large syringes off Amazon a while back that work great for this and don't make a mess.

I fill with fresh fluid and do the bleeding the old fashioned way:  I draft my wife to pump the pedal while I bleed.  I picked up a couple of these Motive bleeding bottles a while back, and so far they're the best thing I've found for not making a mess at the caliper.

Old fluid vs. new... 

Everything else on the NA looks good, so it'll go back in the trailer once the weather clears out, ready for our 1st event of 2023.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/15/23 12:52 p.m.

The BMW got pressed into service to drop off all the Christmas decorations at our storage unit on the way to dinner the other night.  I did have to make a second trip for the tree, but everything else fit...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/23/23 7:44 p.m.

The NA went into the trailer yesterday and the NB came back to the garage, so it's the Capri's turn on the jackstands.

Kona also took her first ride in the BMW...

I've been researching parts for the BMW, comparing between the Euro 320i and USA 328i to determine what I need to do a cooling system overhaul.  The US cars use a different radiator and overflow, but everything on the engine is the same.  I'm considering converting to the US style radiator to make future parts availability easier.  Since I'm planning on replacing the radiator anyway, there's not really an additional expense.

I discovered that what I initially thought was an oil leak is actually a power steering leak, so new hoses are on the way.

The BMW also got its new plate today, and some new shoes... I'm trying to keep the wheel/tire shops in the black this month... cheeky

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/23/23 8:37 p.m.
Rodan said:

.. I'm trying to keep the wheel/tire shops in the black this month... cheeky

Talk about living a good retirement ;)

I see that you use Grundy. Do you find them better than Haggerty?  I have a bunch with Haggerty, and debating if Grundy is better, as I see a lot of folks switching over. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/23 9:40 p.m.

I love the wagon!  It's so dang cool.  Great car and find on your part. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/23/23 10:37 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!  Really liking it so far.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/23/23 10:39 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I see that you use Grundy. Do you find them better than Haggerty?  I have a bunch with Haggerty, and debating if Grundy is better, as I see a lot of folks switching over. 

I just switched this month, so I don't really have any input, other than Grundy was less expensive.  Hopefully, I won't ever need to find out how good they are with a claim.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/23/23 10:44 p.m.
Rodan said:
mr2s2000elise said:

I just switched this month, so I don't really have any input, other than Grundy was less expensive.  Hopefully, I won't ever need to find out how good they are with a claim.

Thank I will call them tomorrow 

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BELZw7OC182cooTPOifagRtdusFtXMujW1MZsB41dKcI6jSjp6KU5e4kfy7b8MuH