1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/22 2:14 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Reasonable diagnosis! Thank you for sharing all the details of this teardown as you go. It's fun for us to follow along.

You are welcome.

I like to leave bread crumbs of actual experience for the next poor slob that gets sucked into a cool car and it's poorly documented "scary issues".

I think everyone here is that way.

a_florida_man
8/8/22 7:30 p.m.

"Hit Play" in this link:

Clean

Clean enough to assemble?....no.

Clean enough to dingle ball de-glaze and clear off the gasket surfaces?...yes

Especially since it started out like this....before it took the big soak today.

And as for the song by Depeche Mode, well I have to admit it is in my head every time I get to this phase of a project.

Clean is the hairpin turn from "apart" to "together".

It is transformative and symbolic.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

Thanks for the flashback to my freshman year in college. I have a feeling I'll be going on a Depeche Mode/Love and Rockets/Jesus Jones listening spree tonight. 

a_florida_man
8/8/22 7:48 p.m.
Stampie said:

Thanks for the flashback to my freshman year in college. I have a feeling I'll be going on a Depeche Mode/Love and Rockets/Jesus Jones listening spree tonight. 

You should. It's good for you.

Freshman year for me too.... I think... lol.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/8/22 10:29 p.m.
a_florida_man said:

Just bought a set of 8 pistons and rods.... $200 no shipping.

Supposed to have come out of a car with 60k ish miles. I believe it, they look good.

But thats the difference here.

For a Jag this is a good deal.

For a SBC $200 is a running engine with accessories lol....

For too many years to remember I tried selling complete V 12 engines Those that that had been partially disassembled I stacked up pistons, crankshafts and etc.  

When forced to finally give up on the project I still had 35 of the original 50 engines .  Plus parts I took them all apart.  Scrap metal prices where shockingly high. I wanted some reward for all my work.  So I sorted metals  to get optimum prices.  Scrap metal places call it "clean" apparently it just means nothing but that kind of metal.   
  The point is it's remarkable that used parts are ever sold particularly on Jaguars.   They tend to be owned by poseurs who prefer prefer pretty things.  Once shabby or out of style  peddled on. 
  You are the exception to typical owners.  You have skills, knowledge, and are financially prudent. 

a_florida_man
8/8/22 10:37 p.m.
frenchyd said:

For too many years to remember I tried selling complete V 12 engines Those that that had been partially disassembled I stacked up pistons, crankshafts and etc.  

When forced to finally give up on the project I still had 35 of the original 50 engines .  Plus parts I took them all apart.  Scrap metal prices where shockingly high. I wanted some reward for all my work.  So I sorted metals  to get optimum prices.  Scrap metal places call it "clean" apparently it just means nothing but that kind of metal.   
  The point is it's remarkable that used parts are ever sold particularly on Jaguars.   They tend to be owned by poseurs who prefer prefer pretty things.  Once shabby or out of style  peddled on. 
  You are the exception to typical owners.  You have skills, knowledge, and are financially prudent. 

Thanks Frenchy.

I'd like to talk with you one day about your Jag experiences and projects past and present.

Where are you? Im in Gainesville, FL.

Any chance you will be down for the Challenge?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/8/22 10:51 p.m.

Not this year. My car might be with those who help me.  Once fully retired my daughter lives in Florida now and I'll be down to visit her.  
   Yes we can meet. 

a_florida_man
8/8/22 10:52 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Not this year. My car might be with those who help me.  Once fully retired my daughter lives in Florida now and I'll be down to visit her.  
   Yes we can meet. 

Do you have any build threads?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/9/22 1:10 a.m.

Check out :Jaguar XJS  Progress 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/22 7:15 a.m.
a_florida_man said:
frenchyd said:

Yes we can meet. 

Do you have any build threads?

Jaguar XJS progress

a_florida_man
8/10/22 10:54 a.m.

More sort of clean er ish stuff:

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/22 12:44 p.m.

I wonder if the fancy engineers designing this high performance engine ever thought to themselves, 'Yeah, I could see a barefoot man in Florida, USA, dingleball honing this at some point.'. 

a_florida_man
8/10/22 12:56 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

I wonder if the fancy engineers designing this high performance engine ever thought to themselves, 'Yeah, I could see a barefoot man in Florida, USA, dingleball honing this at some point.'. 

I suppose that would take a special sort of vision. 

In hindsight I'm glad they stuck to the issue at hand.

This is a great engine.

It should hold up to a barefooted dingleball driveway deglaze quite well!

Speaking of flex-hones:

The factory fresh 3.5" 240 Grit Alluminum Oxide dingleball is on deck.... 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/10/22 1:22 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

I noticed that too. Classic stuff. Reminiscent of an AMG build where a sharp eye could spot crocs, or a former challenge champion fabricating brake brackets in flip-flops. 
You people are MY PEOPLE!

Stampie
8/10/22 1:23 p.m.

Nothing like a nice fresh dingleball. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/22 1:32 p.m.

FLOSHA approved footwear!

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
8/10/22 1:41 p.m.

I always said the best part of welding in sandals is that hot metal can't get trapped in your shoes!

a_florida_man
8/11/22 8:03 p.m.

So, the used pistons and rods arrived today.

A little more used than before they were shipped.

They were snugly bundled into groups of four with nothing between them.

The connecting rods gouged the pistons, and the pistons gouged the bearings.

***sigh***

Stampie
8/11/22 8:05 p.m.

That sucks.  Time to BBC swap it?

a_florida_man
8/11/22 8:10 p.m.

And in completely separate news.... I think my next "to find" target is going to be a boxster. 

One with all of the bads. Hopefully complete but with bad immobilizer , sketchy ims, no service history, the works.

You know, sort of a Lt Dan challenge to the higher automotive powers.

Gary Sinise Is That All You Got GIF - Gary Sinise Is That All You Got Llieutenant Dan GIFs

Seriously.

Thoughts?

a_florida_man
8/11/22 8:11 p.m.
Stampie said:

That sucks.  Time to BBC swap it?

See the very next post, lol.

I'm not in that state of mind, yet...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 8:19 p.m.

Srsly, sand and polish those nicks and scratches and send it.

a_florida_man
8/11/22 8:26 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Srsly, sand and polish those nicks and scratches and send it.

Yeah, that's likely the plan... just gotta get over it 1st. Six pieces of cardboard and we'd be good. The new pistons are .0010 to .0015 thicker in the skirt than the old ones... just frustrated. lol

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/11/22 8:56 p.m.

I would be tempted to sort through your existing pistons and your new stock to find one piston that perhaps with a careful bit of sanding can be usable? 
    I have salvaged some fairly damaged pistons and got a great deal of use from them.  Try not to materially lighten them  but get them smooth. Minor shape variation  will make  really trivial differences.  When the factory builds engines there are variations  in parts that are sorted into batches of similar sizes, weights,  etc. then put together.  
   So don't be hypercritical.  

a_florida_man
8/11/22 9:40 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I would be tempted to sort through your existing pistons and your new stock to find one piston that perhaps with a careful bit of sanding can be usable? 
    I have salvaged some fairly damaged pistons and got a great deal of use from them.  Try not to materially lighten them  but get them smooth. Minor shape variation  will make  really trivial differences.  When the factory builds engines there are variations  in parts that are sorted into batches of similar sizes, weights,  etc. then put together.  
   So don't be hypercritical.  

Oh yeah, these will get used. It's just frustrating that they were essentially perfect before they were shipped. 

None of the truly critical surfaces have been damaged. All of the new pistons will be better than the old I expect.

(I'm still dipping the old ones to measure them and verify.)

With 100k fewer miles, they appear to have half the wear on the skirt, and the 1st couple I checked bear that out.

I'll find the 8 fattest ones and stuff 'em in the holes in order of fattest piston to biggest hole and down.

Hell, people used to knurl piston skirts so.... meh.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n8yBuPnWl5PNH5owpOL3tpWA59Lk192uHiLn1sMC51YAfZafcORy92SZGxx7hK3U