1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 54
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 4:09 p.m.

The top eye on the new shocks is replaceable. Might be time to look into making a clevis for that end, so you don't have to cut the existing top mount. It has a certain look to it that fits the truck.

All it takes is material/time and a mill/lathe/saw/file/drill/grinder.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 4:33 p.m.

So awesome. Great work!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/2/22 11:29 p.m.

I have probably lost a little track here, is the coilovers swap to improve rates, travel, or both?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/22 11:04 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

I have probably lost a little track here, is the coilovers swap to improve rates, travel, or both?

Travel, but also possible binding.

maschinenbau
8/7/22 3:52 p.m.

Cuts have been made. One side done!

Everything fits well without any binding or contact throughout the usable range of motion. I need to order bumpstops though.

maschinenbau
8/15/22 8:36 p.m.

Front coilover upgrade complete and wow these ride so much better! I must have been bottoming out nonstop before because I am hitting bumps and potholes without a care that I normally swerve around in my Bilstein'ed Miata. I started out on setting 3 out of 18, then stiffened it up to 4 on the way. Plenty more stiffness there if I want it. VERY pleased with this upgrade!

RamiE
RamiE New Reader
8/16/22 11:35 a.m.

Awesome job so far. I've really been enjoying watching this build thread.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/16/22 3:04 p.m.

Nice work!

maschinenbau
8/28/22 4:12 p.m.

POV:

You ever just watch your suspension work as you drive?

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/2/22 6:32 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

POV:

You ever just watch your suspension work as you drive?

Needs a video :)

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/2/22 9:26 p.m.

Yes i'm being a doofus.....but can you haze the rears in Rhour traffic in downtown hotlanta...just a little...????

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/2/22 10:24 p.m.

Fantastic as always. Glad the shocks turned out to be a worthwhile upgrade. 

maschinenbau
1/15/23 6:16 p.m.

No updates, just enjoying it on occasion. I took it to a half dozen car shows this past fall, and even won another trophy. I'm still focused on the Lotus and my distraction dirt bike rebuild, but I hope to start the next phase of the Rice Rod this summer. I'm also moving much closer to work, so I'll be driving my toys more often which will force me to fix the small things. 

A small local car magazine took some photos for an upcoming feature. I took a few teasers:

maschinenbau
5/11/23 1:46 p.m.

Forgot to post the magazine feature. Plus some other random pictures. Gears are turning on what's next this summer, after the Lotus has its day at the Challenge. 

Finally got a chance to weigh it too: 2236 lbs and nearly perfectly balanced

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/11/23 1:49 p.m.

Very nice!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/12/23 12:40 p.m.

Yes this is fantastic.  This car always makes me happy 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/12/23 1:05 p.m.

Its beautiful!

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
5/14/23 9:49 a.m.

Come help me with my '51 170S wink

This project turned out great. It actually appears the 170 I have was at one point painted in a similar color teal, but metallic. I just LOVE that colors you chose for this rig.

maschinenbau
6/30/23 10:34 a.m.

Looking back on this project, I mentally split it into 3 phases:

Phase 1 was rat rod and learning fabrication skills

Phase 2 was making it run and drive, and realizing I was building something much nicer than a rat rod

Phase 3 is finishing that last 20% that makes a car truly good. This phase I've been putting off for a while. With the Lotus out of the way, I am now solidly into Phase 3, which began with last year's front coilover upgrade. Last week I finally started on the rears. 7 years ago during Phase 1, I adapted some cheap (actually free, IIRC) used coilovers meant for a Mustang II front end. They did not have enough travel, possibly blown, and were probably binding. They are being replaced with QA1's that have double the travel, all the adjustment, heim joints on both ends, and match the fronts.

I have to modify both the chassis and axle mounts. Feels good to be working with metal again.

No lasers here, just angle grinding and cordless drilling like always. Pretty satisfying.

What else is in store for Phase 3? Like I said, that last 20% where all the small details matter. Stuff like interior upholstery, gauges that actually function, handbrake with integrated center console, etc, etc, and of course this small little engine upgrade I'm using as a personal carrot on a stick...

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/30/23 11:12 a.m.

a 2jz rat rod with coilovers and ITBs... hell yes. 

metty
metty Reader
6/30/23 11:42 a.m.

are those off an s54?

maschinenbau
6/30/23 1:22 p.m.

In reply to metty :

Good eye. They were a rare junkyard find. The story is I just happened to be pulling parts a few cars down when the forklift dropped a real E46 M3 in the yard. Forklift driver said he actually drove it around the lot the day before, and was the only one they've ever gotten. At the time I didn't know they had ITB's so I was surprised when I opened the hood, and immediately thought those might work on my 2JZ. I did a quick eBay price check on my phone and decided worst-case I flip them for profit. On my way out, four guys in matching local shop shirts with two wheelbarrows full of tools were walking towards the car. I asked what parts they were here for. They said "the rest of it". That was almost 5 years ago on Black Friday, so I even got a discount on my generic "intake manifold". 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/30/23 7:52 p.m.

my bad the lotus went where? So glad to see this being tweaked like you want it....

maschinenbau
7/11/23 9:15 p.m.

The Lotus is right where I left it after the Challenge. It gets started and driven periodically.

Rear coilovers are done. Doing this in-situ was difficult, but it all worked out. I took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and I think it rides even better now. Lots more to do with this build.

Overall the stance didn't change much as intended. The rear is maybe an inch higher, which should help preserve the exhaust. I might add another hanger to exhaust to keep it from knocking against the frame and floor. There is not much clearance anywhere. I think next task will be parking brake and center console. Maybe start CAD'ing the ITB adapter.

maschinenbau
7/18/23 4:16 p.m.

This just might work if I overlap one of the holes and counterbore/tap the rest. On the far left, there is some interference with the coolant neck flange, but I think I can just grind it away. Otherwise so far so good. I plan to have a 1/2" aluminum piece cut from sendcutsend, die grind the ports to match, then tap the ITB holes and CB the intake holes.

1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C9ZcYFo2M8TadM62kaXB7l6bmia1OMdznBSr6eI3tCOBZK1f9SCclhkj4LYEbWqP