1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/22 9:39 a.m.

Not just a Fairmont but the more cosmic Fairmont Futura! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/22 11:40 a.m.

How much do those subframe connectors weigh?  They look heavy.  

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/3/22 12:36 p.m.

Awesome, following along!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/22 1:55 p.m.

Live the fact you are going to strengthen the chassis first!  Too many Fox chassis's were ruined by adding power without bracing.  Don't forget the torque boxes!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/22 7:14 p.m.

Turbo straight 6???

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
1/4/22 4:26 p.m.

Great stuff so far--builds like this definitely propelled me into hundreds of hours of similar exercises in unique functionality, resulting in an all-Chevy Falcon.  Here's to seeing more!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/5/22 8:38 a.m.

That is one amazing interior build. Looks like some sort of concept car inside.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/22 10:42 a.m.

At first: "oh, calls themselves car michelangelo, that's a bold move"

Reads thread: "well, they might be right!"

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/22 6:09 p.m.
CarMichaelangelo1 said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Well thanks. It's not that I think I'm some creative genius or something like that, but more like out of all the things I've  done in the past, this last one has turned out to be the best I've  done. Kinda like it's my Sistine Chapel.

Whatever it is, I like it! Keep the pictures and stories coming, please.

LuigiAndretti
LuigiAndretti New Reader
1/5/22 6:10 p.m.

In reply to CarMichaelangelo1 :

Scratch-built torque arm, CD009, and Prius EPS? I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/6/22 8:52 a.m.

Wow, this thread just keeps delivering!
And, from the first posting, I thought this was going to be the somewhat boring story of a beige Fairmont.  

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/22 9:09 a.m.

I read with great interest and I really think this is a good place for a build thread. I like the suspension work I see so far...

However, since I have also made a thread on an existing car a while ago (or years ago maybe), I know that comments are not that easy. Chances are that the things we see have been changed again. So please keep posting :-)

Gustaf

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/7/22 9:23 a.m.

I too am enjoying the thread.  It was not clear to me originally that this was a past build but when I found out it was, I was happy.  This means the thread will move along quicker than a "real time" build where I have to wait for wrenches to be turned.  

On the earlier page, I noticed the rear "radiators" and fans.  I wondered but I really wasn't sure I knew what I was seeing.  Thanks for the explanation on those.  I didn't ask because I figured more would be revealed as this "onion gets pealed back, layer by layer."  

I don't know what's going to be next in this thread.  I have noticed that the car changes color but there are no full body pictures of the car as orange/red.  

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/22 11:41 a.m.

Also following along. 

Digging it so far

LuigiAndretti
LuigiAndretti New Reader
1/7/22 11:47 a.m.
CarMichaelangelo1 said:I just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking to myself.

I have also been following your posts with great interest.  I understood that this is a retrospective thread about a completed build, so I was planning to hold my questions til the build log got up to the car's current iteration - I don't want to ask questions that you may already be planning to answer in subsequent posts.  That being said, I'd love more information about the torque arm rear suspension you built.  You stated that it was based on a 4th-gen F-body system, but it differs significantly from any of the (admittedly few) ones that I have seen.  How did you decide on length and material of the arm?  Do you have any pictures of the front crossmember, and how is the front of the torque arm retained? 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/7/22 1:10 p.m.

Love the build, following with interest. I really dig the past builds you shared as well.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/22 1:13 p.m.

Insane, awesome work. I love the custom style you are adding with all the sheetmetal work. 

10001110101 New Reader
1/7/22 6:36 p.m.

Good lord that is a huge transformation. I think the Cyclone tails were a great choice. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/22 10:03 a.m.

And in steps the venerable 2JZGTE? I'm a little surprised you didn't stick with the "250" theme and run a 2.5L 1JZ. 

But, this is badass. I can honestly say that this is the only Fairmont to ever pique my interest.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/8/22 10:13 a.m.

That’s only because a bunch of us are speechless.   This is great, please continue!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/8/22 10:20 a.m.

As a classic Mercury owner I really dig the current iteration of the car.  I also owned a '74 Comet 4 door back in the day but only admit that ownership foray to other car guys.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/8/22 10:43 a.m.

You're not talking to yourself. Carry on.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
1/8/22 11:44 a.m.

Sad to see the end of the 250. My first Mustang had the 200 and a 3 speed. I drove the wheels off that car. 

petey
petey Reader
1/9/22 10:30 a.m.

We share a lot of attitudes in regards to the way we do these weirdass cars

I had a fairmont with the mark 8 motor.nice that its all bolt in stuff from mustangs...the thing fits better in the volvo with that huge engine bay

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/22 12:26 p.m.

This is all just way too cool. I also have a 2JZ-powered old Ford, and it either confuses or blows peoples' minds. And by coincidence, I am also trying to use BMW M3 throttle bodies on it. Are you planning to carry over your custom BMW intake to the 2JZ? I would love more details on that intake manifold.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LvZLj1DTypcWRjcmfWfCKLWnNz3UD8d9yI5aMLuqWAjze3c8DpYEkvUACBg11mVa