1 2
dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 8:03 a.m.

Introducing my 2nd mini project - a track build

I bought this a few months ago in hopes of hitting a track day or two before the end of the season,  but she had other plans.  I bought her off a buddy and trailered her home,  unloading I spun a bearing... bogged going up my hilly driveway.   It was a sad moment,  but happens.  Digging deeper I found so many loose suspension bolts (like 80% of them)  it was DANGEROUS!!  My friend had a known mini shop in the Massachusetts area to check her out before his first track day this year and was given a bill and the all clear.   I can tell you 2 track days does not deteriorate mini suspension this fast,  2.5 inches of in and out movement on the bottom of the wheel kinda bad,  rear wheels were self steering etc... 

Currently shes got a very nice set of front vented, cross drilled rotors with 4 pots in the front,  some fancy Avo race shocks,  a rubber to coil conversion and a massive 1380 motor.  I hope this winter to rebuild the 1380 to even better specs, sort the suspension issues (ball joints, wheel bearings, etc...) and add some adjustability in (surprisingly economical with a good dollar to pound conversion)   Shes currently sat in my container while I help a friend R&R his mini motor,  but soon very soon she'll be in the non-heated garage for some loving. 

I'm thinking a little taller suspension setting,  4 massive lights across the front for that tarmac rally look.  

The PO thankfully not dying as he whipped her around Thompson Motorsports 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/20 8:19 a.m.

That suspension is scary. 

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 9:14 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/20 9:37 a.m.

I can only imagine how that drove on track

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
10/27/20 11:05 a.m.

"unloading I spun a bearing... bogged going up my hilly driveway."  WHOA ! How does that happen ? ! ? ! 

Where is the known Mini shop in Massachusetts? I live here on the Southern Coast and need work down and can't find anyone up here to do it.

Thanks—

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 11:30 a.m.
notsafeforwork said:

"unloading I spun a bearing... bogged going up my hilly driveway."  WHOA ! How does that happen ? ! ? ! 

Where is the known Mini shop in Massachusetts? I live here on the Southern Coast and need work down and can't find anyone up here to do it.

Thanks—

I think cold engine,  abused oil, and maybe some previous damage.  Thankfully pulling these things apart isn't too terrible. 

Greasys Garage,  though I wouldn't go to them.... what are you looking to have done?  I do some side work on minis.  

Dave

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
10/27/20 6:59 p.m.

My suspension is totally suspect. I have to crawl under but I'd bet that the rubber has all deteriorated and the shocks look as old as I do. Sat for a time, was neglected after that, I'm hoping to brings things back to "good" if not "better."

Thanks !

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 9:58 p.m.

In reply to notsafeforwork :

That's nice easy work!  I'm over in RI if you ever want to meet up. 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
10/28/20 11:17 a.m.

As soon as the title comes in for it and I KNOW that it's really mine, I'll scoot on down for sure. I'm about forty minutes from the Atwells Ave exit.

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
11/13/20 9:22 a.m.

So this car might not stay in the fleet for long,  or maybe the motor won't or I don't know.  I entered one of those internet raffles for a car... and won... its amazing and I love the car I won, but I don't have enough space at the moment... 

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
11/15/20 12:59 p.m.

womp womp womp... what I and the PO was told was a 1380 was only a 1275 and a badly built one at that.. .check out this piston to bore clearence!  

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
11/24/20 9:15 a.m.

Found more issues...  time for a 40 over rebuild, a spicey cam and some head work...

but for now she's been mothballed for the winter... will decide what to do with her in the spring

Addicted
Addicted New Reader
11/24/20 10:56 a.m.

The PO thankfully not dying as he whipped her around Thompson Motorsports 

Glad I wasn't following him considering how much fuel is spilling out of that fuel cap!

BTW, please build a hot 1380 for it... a clubman deserves it :)

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
11/27/20 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Addicted :

Current thoughts are a 1293 and spend what I would have on a 1380 on some rally suspension/tires... 

dextervw
dextervw Reader
2/1/21 9:42 a.m.

So I've been gifted a spare 1275 motor... nothings great on it bar the crank!  So come spring I'm going to set aside a weekend and "Roadkill" style build a motor and slap it back in this beast.  Spray the flares something other than white and put a stamp on her!   I've now started helping people with their mini's on the side and have accumulated a few bits and pieces spare so she'll go back together better than ever.  

In other news,  I got another mini...  wasn't expecting to, but the price was too good to not to... less than the 1/24 scale model of it I bought a month ago.  

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
2/2/21 9:47 a.m.

"In other news,  I got another mini... "

Good for you ! ! ! What year and condition?

I remember that you're in Rhode Island, wondering if you know of and might recommend the person in Rhode Island who always has an ad up for Mini parts and pieces? Don't remember his name, but he seems to have everything and I need a right hand door for my '85 and was thinking of just jumping on down (I'm in Massachusetts) and scooping one up from him, UNLESS (of course) you might have a door for an '85 hanging around?

dextervw
dextervw Reader
2/2/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to notsafeforwork :

Its a 1991 in really good condition,  needs a little rust repair on the front wings and a good mechanical clean up but shes an amazing peice.  

That would be Tony... i'll email you his number.  

DrZRider
DrZRider
2/4/21 6:04 p.m.

Sorry if this is thread hijack, but I was wondering if you could help me out with some issues on my 1980 mini? Trying to correct numerous hacks from previous owners, chiefly the hood locking mechanism. Would you mind posting a pic of the hood lock mechanism (the mushroom looking bolt) that attaches to the underside of the hood? Mine snapped off and I've been running around without a hood.

my other issue is the front subframe to body mounts.. I installed these backwards or something, I can't get them aligned. I think my mistake was bolting the mounts to the subframe first, where as I should have mounted them them to the body. I removed the subframe when installing a new engine.

thanks for any help!

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/3/21 12:45 p.m.

So spring is here,  the bores are trash but I need a track beater... so back together she goes.  Cleaned, prepped, new bearings, cam, lifters, valve springs, gaskets, etc...   I'll pull her at the end of the season to bore her out and figure out a higher flow cylinder head.  

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/3/21 12:47 p.m.

Figured since it was already hurt, might as well play around a little... main cap strap.  

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/16/21 12:35 p.m.

Well we did a thing!   I cleaned everything best I could,  had a valve seat replaced, put in a new cam, lifters, bearings, high volume oil pump, center pickup tube etc... and smashed her back together in about 11 hours over the weekend (which included breaks, setting up cameras etc) and she run!   We're making a YT vid about it which I'll post here when complete.  

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/26/21 11:23 a.m.

shes a runner!  

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/29/21 10:13 a.m.

to watch how we did it... https://youtu.be/rGQAzvs3-4E 

dextervw
dextervw Reader
4/6/21 2:06 p.m.
dextervw