gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/22 8:08 p.m.

Three pedal wagons to the front!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/30/22 9:35 p.m.
garaithon said:

So this happened:

I had some nibbles on selling this thing but nothing really lined up. So in typical GRM fashion I started dumping more time and money in it, and slowly convincing my self that just one more car won't take up that much room or time. I used the F2B pedal adapter to bolt Fbody pedals in.

We are going to put this thing to the test:

It's the same length as the 4L60 and the shifter is an inch or so of the T56 location so theoretically everything should be close. I have the Fabot kit already and the trans was cheap. If it explodes it uses T56 clutch assembly and I can just swap it out.

Anybody have an opinion on the clutch return spring? Mine is missing and it doesn't appear this pedal set has the holes for it? People seem to not use them and it "fine."

Cool.  I like the direction you're taking this. yes

BTW, what transmission is that? and how cheap is cheap?

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/1/22 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It's an AR5 out of 04 to 12 Colorado.  It's a 5speed. They used it in the Solstice too but it has a different tailhousing with a remote shifter. Fabbot makes an adapter to bolt it to an LS. The ratios are a little trucky but they will be fine for the street.

This one was $400 with 50k. Adapter is about $500 to $600 and uses T56 Fbody style clutch.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/1/22 11:07 a.m.

Really enjoying this build! I'm also using the ar5 but mated to a gen 3 LS. Liked the transmission when it was attached to the stock 2.9 in my Colorado. Can't wait to fire my truck up! So close, but yet so far.

Pro tip: buy the remote bleeder from Fabbot Fab. It's less than $50 and the best thing since sliced bread  you can bleed the clutch in a minute or less. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/1/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Already bought it! I struggled with clutch bleeding on my C5 a few years back, broken bleeders suck on those!

I have been following your build too! Hope you get it driving soon!

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/3/22 10:54 p.m.

Got a little more done:

Got the remote bleeder installed, along with the clutch actuator feed line. The feed comes with special fittings to replace the quick connector the factory line uses. You just knock out the little roll pin and reinstall the new fittings. I think I'll need the extra length.

Here is the trans ready to be installed!

Also reassembled most of the under dash and installed the clutch master. 

Still debating what to do with the column shifter. I hate to just cut it off and 96 SS columns are $$$. I'll probably just roll with it for a bit. Maybe I could use it to actuate something?

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/11/22 9:51 p.m.

More progress:

Test fitted the trans up without the clutch to mark the floor pan for shifter ingress. So much lighter than the 4l60e! I got my holes drilled just need to cut her open!

Also test fitted the driveshaft. Just a hair long probably need 1/2 to an Inch shorter. Adjustable track arms would probably be enough to make it work but they are $450 and local machine shop will cut the driveshaft for $60 so that won. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/11/22 10:03 p.m.

Modified drive shaft for $60?

That's reasonable yes

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
5/12/22 1:32 p.m.

I have been away from this thread for too long...  Well done sir. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/19/22 8:50 p.m.

I have a hole in the floor!

The shifter placement is just about right! This is with the trans just hanging free with no support. It centers up in the hole when in mounting position.

I found a Colorado shifter knob/boot/console combo that I think will work quite nice actually. I may upgrade the shifter and knob down the road. 

I did run into a problem with the stock trans crossmember. It hits the case of the new trans on the leading edge where it is formed for the exhaust. I didn't take a picture as I was frustrated. I think it could be cut/beaten in with a hammer but I took the easy route and ordered an adjustable tubular crossmember, the stock one was a pain to install anyway.

The mount position is within an inch of the 4l60e for reference. 

Getting close!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/19/22 9:55 p.m.

Solid progress yes

I'm looking forward to the burn out video.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
6/24/22 10:34 a.m.

No burnout vids yet but I have put about 40 miles on her with little drama! 

Car is so much better now! You can get going way to fast for the floaty suspension, need to address that next!

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/4/22 7:46 p.m.

Put another 40 some miles on the old girl today, because 'merica! I also dropped off recycling because CAPTAIN PLANT!!!

Happy 4th!!!

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/24/22 5:02 p.m.

Another recycling trip. I need to get the AC going so this thing can return to daily duties.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/24/22 7:05 p.m.

I spy rear quarter window vents. Those are sweet yes

But working AC would be cooler. 

(pun intended)

garaithon
garaithon Reader
8/3/22 7:32 p.m.

Added a " Cool Dad" sticker!

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/23 8:48 p.m.

I am now the proud owner of the white whale. Garaithon said I could just keep this thread going. 

Garaithon was a great seller to work with. 

My plans are:

1. Get the speedometer and the cruise control working. 

2. Get the a/c working. 

3. Start to think about how much of a deep dive I want to do with paint and body work. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/7/23 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Glad to see you made the trip home safely! I'm looking forward to the progress! I'll have to start a thread on the Volvo. I'll start digging into it this week! Great meeting you!

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/23 9:24 p.m.

In reply to garaithon :

Great meeting you too. It was a little interesting getting it off the trailer, I think I should have backed it on like you suggested. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/8/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Haha! Yea I have dug a ditch or two with that hitch! 

chuckwagon
chuckwagon New Reader
7/14/23 4:46 p.m.

Well I am the Whales new owner! Got her home a couple days ago and first order of buisness is some new valvesprings! Got some pac 1218's which should be the perfect match for the cam. Got a nifty tool for when I did springs on my Camaro a while back. Works great using the TDC method to change springs without pulling the head! 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 4:57 p.m.

Awesome & Congratulations! 

By the way, thanks for buying it, I was So tempted to buy it back.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/14/23 6:40 p.m.

Congratulations!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/23 9:12 p.m.

In reply to chuckwagon :

That's nice.  Congrats.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/20/23 10:17 p.m.

Glad to see it found another new home! Let me know if you have any questions. In for plenty of updates!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUgV2BbrXiw3Kj33tZuP9p9A0v1SG7mB4aosdCLeK3wPgLzCowK2xIHjvck0YvaJ