Billy_Bottle_Caps said:

Man that is nasty! Great project

This.

Only on GRM!!

Thanks!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/19 9:18 p.m.

I have found it difficult to get many pictures of the SLK (R170) body under construction.

There is a little out there:

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/20/19 9:18 p.m.
a_florida_man said:
Billy_Bottle_Caps said:

This.

Only on GRM!!

Thanks!

Right? I bet Mercedes and VW forums would be freaking out right now about how you're ruining two cars and "why bother doing all that work just to build something slower than [common popular vehicle]" but at GRM, we not only understand why you want to do this, we endorse it! 

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:21 p.m.

Id really like to have more pictures of the body at this stage...

...however, what I can see in that photo makes me hopeful of fitting the SLK within the 53" between the KG's rockers.

I guess I'll just have to strip it down and see.

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:26 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Yeah. 

Go on the SLK and MB forums, and you will get their project parts and labor estimates as compared to something like  356 or SL replica bluebook prices, with a stern warning that it is a waste of money and time.

They just don't get it, and I'm glad they don't.

Im having fun, and enjoying two cars.

Anyone who gets caught up in the idea that ANY car isn't to be consumed and enjoyed is just whislting past the graveyard.

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:32 p.m.

More notes....

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:34 p.m.

The picture of the r170 above is a 4cyl (230) but it should be the same as a 320.

Ill be making some measurement jigs off of my SLK230 (Car #51 'SLO 2K') to see what has to be pulled to fix alignment issues from the accident.

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:36 p.m.
slowbird said:
a_florida_man said:
Billy_Bottle_Caps said:

This.

Only on GRM!!

Thanks!

Right? I bet Mercedes and VW forums would be freaking out right now about how you're ruining two cars and "why bother doing all that work just to build something slower than [common popular vehicle]" but at GRM, we not only understand why you want to do this, we endorse it! 

t-shirt idea:

"I make cars rare-er."

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/20/19 9:40 p.m.

Folks on the MB forums are convinced an LS-swap in any Mercedes will costs tens of thousands of dollars to do correctly, and if you do it yourself it'll cost more and it won't ever run right.

In their minds, spending $15000 on "period-correct" AMG mods to get an outdated motor to 300HP is the ONLY way to go.

It looks like you're having fun, and ultimately, it's your project and yours to enjoy.

People get so tied up with resale value in those communities, why even bother owning anything?

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

The funny thing is although I wouldn't DO what they do, I can appreciate what THEY do, and HOW they do it.

It just isn't usually reciprocated. :)

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:50 p.m.

More eye candy...

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/20/19 9:56 p.m.

Oh for sure, but they don't seem to respect going against the grain, and will be the first to make their dismay known.

The comments I got when I mentioned I wasn't going to use an original drivetrain for my 170S were comical.

They're just a bunch of "car guys" who've paid "trusted" indy shops to work on their cars their entire lives. Yeah, one those trusted shops run by a guy named "Hans" was responsible for this:

I digress, as I don't want to distract from the topic at hand.

I remember when the SLK first came out, I was living in Heidelberg and my uncle got me an RC version that had the mechanized top feature just like the real deal. Always thought it was one of coolest little roadsters, but always seemed to see them in yellow and silver more than any other color.

a_florida_man
11/20/19 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

I was living in Heidelberg and my uncle got me an RC version that had the mechanized top feature just like the real deal.

I want one!

Do you have any pictures?

a_florida_man
11/20/19 10:03 p.m.

Previously someone mentioned using Rabbit fender patch panels as a steel wheel flare source:

I like that idea.

Are there other good wheel flare donor cars like this?

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/20/19 10:04 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

Unfortunately, I don't. The move from Heidelberg to Würzburg saw several of my possessions mysteriously vanish, my two RC cars I had at the time being some of them.

I don't even remember who made it, just that I would be excited to get home from school and take it out and drive it around.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/20/19 10:07 p.m.

I found a video of the exact one I had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA0-cjXDoy8

a_florida_man
11/20/19 10:08 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjN07oW01dY

Here it is.

RC SLK230 with moving top!

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/20/19 10:09 p.m.

Yup! One of the first things I remember doing was removing that protective bumper from the front.

a_florida_man
11/21/19 6:18 a.m.

in lieu of actual photos of the unibody construction:

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 7:13 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/top-secret-build-wartburg-20/142060/page25/

i used volvo 240 front arches, there should be 3+ pages of pictures starting there

a_florida_man
11/21/19 7:29 a.m.
Patrick said:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/top-secret-build-wartburg-20/142060/page25/

i used volvo 240 front arches, there should be 3+ pages of pictures starting there

Thanks 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/21/19 7:30 a.m.

If you measure the distance center to center of the front seats, what is the difference?

Pete

a_florida_man
11/21/19 7:32 a.m.
NOHOME said:

If you measure the distance center to center of the front seats, what is the difference?

Pete

I'll check this evening.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/21/19 1:38 p.m.

I have access to EPC, where I can get more exploded diagrams of any MB if you need them. Just let me know.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LSGNfMxvA78CIOUj0zhPYkR7W5o0yO5t0Ugl7V8meCspqYUzJo0Mk0hHsHRJYft5