1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/27/20 8:52 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

Abby came in Saturday and said "oooohhhhh did you get purple mufflers just for me?"

while thrilled that someone who just turned 6 knows that a glasspack tube is a muffler, sorry kid they've been around longer than you.  

The correct answer was "Yes" 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 8:54 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

the dad answer was "i knew you would like them"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 9:14 a.m.

Just don't call them by name...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/20 9:53 a.m.

This is looking Mental.  

I like the chains to limit travel on the hood.   I too think this needs a tinted plexiglass intake Ala Blasphemi.  

7/27/20 10:08 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

well, i have a bunch of plexiglass and i berkeleyed up the paint on the hood(had it hanging vertical to paint and flat out missed the leading edge), and have a spare homemade fiberglass hood that is far from perfect that i wouldn't mind cutting up.  

i'm all about mental.  i figured i would worry about the hood when i get to actually needing a hood.  same with trunklid, i bodyworked and painted the fiberglass one and it turns out the hinge mounts were glassed in so crooked that it won't close.  so i'm going to fix up and paint the steel one when i need it.  it's that or chop the crooked side of the fiberglass one and reset it, but honestly if i'm painting the hood again it sounds easier to sand and paint the original trunklid.  

8/2/20 10:20 a.m.

Something has been bugging me since last summer.  The brake rotors i have are not hub centric and the lug holes are larger than the big 1/2" studs.  This leads to the rotor being not centered when you put the wheel on and it droops.  They don't make hubcentric rings in the dimensions i'm working with, and i wanted to proof concept and make something i could use immediately to get everything together and mocked up to move forward.  The only thing i could get now was 2.5" pvc conduit.  Maybe the world's first schedule 40 hubcentric rings?  Once the wheels are torqued down there should be very little stress on them, and i can make aluminum ones when i find some tube or stock close enough in the future.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/2/20 10:32 a.m.

I have something similar on the RX-7 because I am using rotors made for stepped hubs and Dutchman would only make a single pilot diameter.  They work just fine.

I did use aluminum only because the diameter is such that it partially supports the wheel, otherwise I would have used plastic.

If that's regular PVC plumbing pipe, you can get all the same sizes in aluminum pipe.  Or stainless steel.

8/2/20 12:14 p.m.

Works

<frantic search ensues for the caliper and pads>

8/2/20 3:24 p.m.

Temporarily possibly permanently stole the rf caliper for the chevelle so I could put things together.  Confession:  i put one of the slot mags on and hate it.  It's too stereotypical looking.  So what if i mix more modern wheels in on the back, I love them.  With that

na na na na na na na na street tires

street tires

street tires

street tires

na na na na na na na na na STREET TIRESSSSSS

8/8/20 1:43 p.m.

Still plumbing.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/20 1:49 p.m.

This thing is sooo rad!

8/9/20 5:07 p.m.

I better finish it since it's now a concours winner 

working on radiator and final steering column mounting today.  Was never happy with the column upper mount, and it was a tad low after swapping to a seat with more than 1/8" of aluminum between me and the tracks, so i made some new mounts last night and moved it up.  Much happier now

8/29/20 8:11 p.m.

Making radiator support 

have to go to my parents place and check out my alternator setup because i need to use the same alternator mounting here as my 54 Belair.  I believe i used a homemade lower mount made from a tbi tensioner support rod and some flat stock and a 472 cadillac upper spaced off the head a little, but don't quite remember or know if i have the pieces to replicate that.  I think one of the first parts i design myself on the cnc table to sell will be a passenger side mid mount alternator mount kit for sbc with short water pump.  

I desperately tried to throw money at an easy button and it doesn't exist.  Can't go traditional driver's side because steering box won't let a belt do much beyond go vertical to the water pump pulley

9/3/20 8:52 p.m.

Baby steps

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/20 9:13 p.m.

You drilled a hole in unobtainium decades old sheetmetal from a country that doesn't even exist anymore! How can you SLEEP at night???

frown

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/20 9:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You drilled a hole in unobtainium decades old sheetmetal from a country that doesn't even exist anymore! How can you SLEEP at night???

frown

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/3/20 9:54 p.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

frown

Uh, because Racecar???

Besides, with the proper mixture of tools and insanity, no sheet metal is ever unobtanium...

9/3/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I have both of those things, and a big bottle of melatonin.  

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/4/20 4:55 p.m.

Would you please address the dimple on the passenger side rear wheel fender....er door .....sorry

9/4/20 6:02 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

It gets covered with trim so I didn't bother because at the time i was still trying to get it done for last year's challenge 

I want to cover my ugly bits with trim!

I'll show myself out.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 7:32 p.m.

Damn it's been too long without an update, or really touching the car.

today I cleaned a lot, moved the datsun out from under the lift, and finish welded the passenger side exhaust, front frame crossmember, and the passenger side radiator support tube.  Planning to put some real time in on it.  Fuel pump and regulator came this week, I stole the others off it last July for Rainbow Dash.  I am hoping to finish plumbing and a lot of other under car stuff this week Have new front hubs and bolts to go on since one has a bad bearing.  

also started on body trim pieces, the ones that are going back on anyway.  Made the executive decision to keep the fiberglass trunklid and just pin it on.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
3/5/22 7:42 p.m.

This is way more interesting than the nose high '65 Nova gasser running up and down in front of the house. And now I see the fender panel you're talking about ......what dimple?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/5/22 8:06 p.m.

Wartburg!!!!!

I love this car. Glad to see it back.

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BCFM2ANUl7bqOgKMK4yKN3pm0hkhxg5jaoFuG8JsiUp6krSWtzX2ZN9DTWFB6Kru