1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 45
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 7:53 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

it hasn't been weighed yet but likely to be A/gas because of weight.  I'm not concerned with classing or competition, and will likely only ever run test and tune nights or events without rules.  Building this car my way to bring me joy and pleasure, and don't really care about anything other than that goal.  I'm not chasing numbers, trophies, or wins anymore.  

This car has gone from wanting magazine cover to berkeley it this is for me and my family to enjoy 

Patrick
4/5/22 4:36 p.m.

play with chinese garbage, get burned by chinese garbage.  The turn signal flasher was wired to the turn and horn fuses instead of turn fuse and a lead to the switch, and the horn relay was wired with the switched lead off a fuse, power lead not, and the switch feed wire was missing altogether because it was wired to the flasher.  So after a bunch of correcting problems with junk I have what appears to be a functional fuse box and harness, mounted with wires laid toward where they go, ready to do more work when I feel like it.  Used an 88-94 gmt400 distribution block on the engine side of the firewall to be fed off a battery cable from starter terminal.  Currently frustrated to try and make gauges work without looking like E36 M3, because the dash isn't big enough to just drill some holes.  Don't really want to run a 2-3 gauge pod under the dash but at the same time feel like it's acceptable for a gasser.  

to be fair this harness is worth about what i paid($22).

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/5/22 4:56 p.m.

Are either of the two holes in the dashboard big enough for you to make a flat panel that can fit 3 gauges in a triangular pattern?  Being a gasser, I'm assuming the tach will be stuck to the top of the dash or on the cowl panel?

Patrick
4/5/22 8:13 p.m.

The factory speedo is going in one hole and the tach is going in the hole that held the 2 gauge combo.  Someone already cut the hole bigger to fit big tach, so i got a big tach to fill the hole.  

Patrick
4/7/22 12:37 p.m.

Sometimes the best gauges are the ones you forgot came with the car and found on the shelf

Then you look in the bag and realize the sending units are probably still on the engine you sold in 2018.  So you email nocones and see if he still has the engine

also found an autometer monster tach in my stash, with column mount.  If i put it dead center it will clear the turn signal switch housing and not completely block the speedo and allow me to hopefully put the 3 gauges together in the hole that used to house a tach.  I can make an aluminum plate to mount them to pretty simply, once i change my bandsaw blade and buy a 2 1/16 hole saw blade

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/22 1:18 p.m.

Those VDOs are the bee's knees.

Patrick
4/13/22 8:30 p.m.

Undercoated the inside of the tilt front end and continuing wiring.  Have more supplies coming.  Modified a gmt400 hvac relay bracket and using relays from it for fan and HEI.  Using heat shrink crimp connectors on everything 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/14/22 7:06 a.m.

Cool reuse of the bracket.  Convincing me to continue hoarding wiring harness components from my old Firebird, just in case.  smiley

Patrick
4/14/22 8:34 a.m.

I always keep relays, switches, fuse holders, and 4' or longer lengths of wire.  I just found another bin of battery cables yesterday afternoon that had a perfect ground cable already made.  I finally broke down and ordered 25' of purple 12ga wire to run my starter lead and i am running low on a lot of wire.  Have to send 7 wires to the back (stop, tail, 2 turns, fuel pump relay feed, and 2 for gas gauge) so I ordered 14 gauge 7 conductor trailer wire so it's already protected and I can snake it up the A pillar, over the doors, and down the C pillar like the factory did.  Ran out of fuse holders too and ordered some.  Gmt400 trucks are a wealth of great electrical supplies.  The TBI trucks have a cover on the firewall and if you pull it there's the above distribution block, the fuel pump relay, and a 30a fuse holder.  I never sent one to the junkyard with those parts, and several years ago stampie sent me a box full from his junkyard excursions.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/14/22 9:04 a.m.

I do like that distribution block.  The ones from the fireturd and the S10 that I have stashed are nowhere near as nice.  I think the big goal for me is to consolidate as much of the surplus wiring/electrical parts into one location so everything is easier to find when I actually need it.  Trailer wire sounds like a really good idea for a fresh start on the rear wiring.

Patrick
4/14/22 7:32 p.m.

Fuse holders came this evening, also got switch panel mounted in the old chopped up radio hole.  

My friend, Biggus Tachus

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 7:39 p.m.

+1 on making the starter lead purple as it should be.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/14/22 8:34 p.m.

Do you think it's funny when I say... Biggus.....Tachus?

Patrick
4/15/22 6:37 p.m.

finally got to put my new taillight lenses on.  Wiring progressing.  Have to find the new turn signal housings and lenses 

Patrick
4/22/22 3:06 p.m.

got my main ignition switch maxi fuse holder mounted and wired.

Since that pic around lunchtime today:

Engine bay main harness done and wrapped.  
Front clip light harness done and wrapped.  

both dash harness legs wrapped and clipped.

ignition switch wired.

Currently working on lighting at the switches and rear of car, then can move on to gauge wiring and almost time to put a battery in and see if anything catches on fire

Swiped the alternator brackets and rebuilt holley 600 off my belair, hope it's good to go since it's been sitting for 7 years.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/22/22 8:36 p.m.

Im really excited to see this coming together finally. Really, really excited. 

Patrick
5/7/22 10:01 p.m.

Changed mind on tach, couldn't make even 2 gauges fit the big hole and look not dumb, so i moved it.  I have a dash layout i think will work rather neatly.

light wiring done, most harnesses wrapped.  Used a late 50's chrysler floor mount dimmer switch and a universal headlight switch from who knows where.  Last wires are for gauges, sending units installed.  Have to grab a 4ga ring terminal for the alternator wire.  holes in intake and water pump plugged, water pump installed for real. 

Patrick
5/8/22 2:27 p.m.

took radiator out to get the alternator and brackets on that I stole from my 54 Belair.  20 year ago me wasn't as good a welder so I fixed that.  

to be perfectly honest, i'm kinda thinking of running no hood for at least a while

Patrick
5/8/22 4:23 p.m.

Trying to assemble windshield, not going well.  If I knew who disassembled this car I'd drive to their location and smack the E36 M3 out of them for mangling the window frames on top of all the other berkeleyitude I've had to fix. I've got the correct window rubbers and the frame is so whooped I can't even get it to get close.  Haven't touched the rear frame and it's worse.  

also whoever Jim had weld the first cage didn't put a shield over the glass so the "never gonna find another" windshield is nice and pitted. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That might be able to be polished depending on how bad it is.

Patrick
1/3/23 9:07 p.m.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/3/23 9:14 p.m.
Patrick said:

also whoever Jim had weld the first cage didn't put a shield over the glass so the "never gonna find another" windshield is nice and pitted. 

Yea, that guy did a terrible rush job that caused a number of issues.  He did another car I know too and it was similarly terrible, I've steered several people away from him since then.  It's a shame.

Super congrats on getting it alive again.  I struggle to think of a single car with a weirder history of powertrains and suspension.  FWD 2 cycle 3 cyl with 4 on the tree and solid beam axle, RWD rear engine flat 4 with 4 on the floor and 4 wheel independent , and now V8 front engine rear drive automatic live axle rear and solid front.   What a history. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/3/23 9:44 p.m.

May we have elevens on Marks road in front of the house???? dare ya

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/23 9:09 a.m.
Patrick said:

Congrats!  Long time coming.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/23 3:52 p.m.