DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/12/23 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Why won't Scirocco seats work ?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

They don't have a place for harnesses to pass through and they have a really funky mounting and didn't come with their tracks/sliders. They're neat but I'm trying not to make it so that only I can drive something. By the time I could make or adapt sliders they're too tall. While I'm not looking to seriously drag race I still want to be safe and legal for when I do

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/13/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I've got a couple of those typical blowmolded drag seats you're welcome to. They both have covers but aren't a matching pair.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 11:03 a.m.

Um, what generation are the Scirocco seats?  Do they have two slider rails, and a different one near the center front for adjustment?

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
1/14/23 8:12 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

Useless side note: there is a town very near here called Wartburg. It is the home of the Barkley, and one town over is Petros home of Brushy Mtn. State Penitentiary. Quite a name.

The Barkley is a 100+ mile trail run with 55,000 feet of climbing.

There's a fantastic  documentary about it called "The Barkley Marathons: the race that eats its young". 

Also, this build is awesome!

Patrick
1/14/23 11:02 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

They have the center front one and a place to bolt something to the back? They're black vinyl with blue plaid centers and I love them but they're not working here and I need to move them on so nothing bad happens to them. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/23 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I thought VWs made the rails part of the shell.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/14/23 11:51 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Patrick :

I thought VWs made the rails part of the shell.

I think MK1 Rabbits have the rails on the floor, like a later Beetle.  Some sort of slider/rollers on the back go into the rails, and at the center front there's the mechanism to move the seat back and forth.  Not sure if the Scirocco is the same.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/14/23 2:05 p.m.

All the A1 and A2 cars used sliders welded to the floor . My 87 Golf had them. Only exception I can remember was the 2L GTI 16v used a conventional flat bottom seat and rails like normal cars.

Patrick
1/14/23 3:31 p.m.

i can take a pic of the bottom of the scirocco seats but it certainly appears that it is made for a car that has rails integral to the pan.

I have a stack of the blow molded plastic seats and an aluminum Kirkey but absolutely want to make sure I make this as comfortable a place as possible to spend some time or I'll get fed up quickly and have to do it all over again. I think I just need to list more stuff on ebay and have something big (like a Z32 manual transmission) sell so I can buy seats. I can mount the kirkey temporarily  because the floor is already set up for it since it was my "yeah sure this will be a $2000 challenge car" seat and was installed, so 4 bolts and i'm seated to move it around. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/14/23 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Do any of the seats you have meet the criteria of "must be intended for competition use" (vague)?

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/14/23 4:03 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

All the A1 and A2 cars used sliders welded to the floor . My 87 Golf had them. Only exception I can remember was the 2L GTI 16v used a conventional flat bottom seat and rails like normal cars.

My A2, my A1, and my B2 all had the sliders part of the floor.  Which is why I was wondering.

I discovered this when my A2's driver seat was rusted in place and could not figure out how it came out.  Helpful reply (not sarcasm) on the Vortex was "remove the travel stop and slide it forward".  Great, except it doesn't move...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/14/23 6:59 p.m.
Patrick said:

i can take a pic of the bottom of the scirocco seats but it certainly appears that it is made for a car that has rails integral to the pan.

The more I think about it, with as few miles as the Beetle sees, and with a decent driver seat already installed, I should not be messing with it other than keeping it running.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/14/23 8:00 p.m.

Maybe I missed it buried in the thread, but is this still Challenge eligible and/or going to the Challenge in May? 

Patrick
1/14/23 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Nah. Real world bucks yes it's under $2000 out of pocket, but I recouped the initial purchase price 2.5x so it's not eligible for it, and I'm pretty over dragging cars to florida. 

Patrick
1/14/23 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I have a nice aluminum seat and a stack of the plastic $60 jegs/summit special plastic ones. 

Patrick
1/15/23 6:49 p.m.

Made polycarbonate rear window today 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/23 7:48 p.m.

Wow, and you got the trim pieces to fit too!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/15/23 9:16 p.m.

well done ...Skinny G  has just exploded his 3rd/4th front windshield in the'64 PU.....is this material road worthy legal?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/15/23 9:59 p.m.

Oh hey now - I only broke one.  It's just the video came out this weekend.  Play nice.

Patrick
1/15/23 10:59 p.m.

These sheets are cutoffs from a hurricane experience booth company, and it's on the back of the car so I'm not terribly concerned. Windshield is safety glass. $5 rear window. 

next albatross is mounting the trunklid. I'm feeling a locating pin at the bottom where the latch used to be sliding up into a slightly larger tube glassed into the lid and hood pins up top may be the answer. I have a gasket so I can keep things tight and not have it rattle around, I think. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/23 8:40 a.m.

canoe

Patrick
1/16/23 6:33 p.m.

Making gauges functional. 30psi oil pressure at idle makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Precious few wires are not in their homes at this point. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/16/23 7:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

canoe

huh?

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qwKa0nMg0ognzDdNovG8raIS3W31EOgwexqO3CpSB5uQAn7G8b5VSMCjovlPs0yP