1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/8/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Gambit0117 :

They didn't replace the barrels, they just repaired what was there. Straightened, added material where needed then turned on a lathe and polished. Standard wheel repair stuff. There are companies that will re-barrel these wheels and make them whatever offset you want, but they didn't go that far on these wheels, still the factory size / offset (16x8 -10 on the rear, 16x7 +18 on the front)

Gambit0117
Gambit0117 New Reader
2/8/22 7:46 p.m.

Alright maybe I was just looking at the bent fronts vs the rears... Fantastic either way, love the stance

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/8/22 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Gambit0117 :

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. The rears have more concave as well as more barrel. 

There is also a sport handling package wheel, they are much more desirable, which are 16x8 fronts and 16x9 rears. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/9/22 1:26 p.m.

Bonus round evo 5:

Bought an evo 5 from another guy. He imported it, engine blew up within a month, went through a like 4 year long build and the thing never really ran correctly, bounced from shop to shop to shop nobody could ever get it running right. Engine was built, turbo sized, whole thing was built around 600 hp.. eventually after 4 different ECUs (and harness changes each time) it made 380whp... Phantom knocking, tuner said change the exhaust, increase the breathers in the cam cover, bring it back. 

He brought it to a 4th shop, pre-dyno inspection they said they boroscoped the engine and there was valve-piston contact. At this point, he was done with it. Listed it as a part out, and I messaged him and bought the rolling chassis. 

Fun part of this story, when he sold the head, pulled it off the block, the pistons were in backwards and other than that there was nothing wrong with the engine. No contact, still spun awesome, but he was still just done with the whole thing. 

I always wanted to track my evo 6, but then my friend crashed his 30,000 km, totally mint evo 4 doing some hillclimb and I talked to him. Freak accident, fitting on oil cooler sheered off just before a corner, covered his outside tire with oil, slammed into a barrier. E36 M3 happens. So, his advice... don't race a car you can't walk away from. Well, I love the 6, and I couldn't walk away from it, so I scopped up this 5 with the idea that I will have a perfectly competant, totally rad car to track. 

Found an engine from another part out, bone stock evo 6 engine. I also bought the harness from the car as the one in the 5 was super hacked up, MAF plug just cut off for speed density, broken wires.. it was just a mess. 

Rescue mission

Home

Cleaned up an evo 6 intercooler

Cleaned up some stock intercooler piping

Bumper cleaned up, restored the grills, all the supports, replaced all the fasteners

Restored heat sheilds

Cleaning up the engine bay

Cleaning up the engine

Fresh timing belt, balance belt, pulleys, tensioners, water pump and hydraulic tensioner
[

Ported exhaust manifold

Assembled,  new OEM gaskets and fasteners

All coming together, new crank pulley, wastegate actuator blah blah, engine portion completed.  

Put off changing the engine loom by fixing up the headlights

Went over the new harness, made sure everythign was ready to go, fixed a couple things

Old harness out, *puke*

Resurfaced 7-8-9 flywheel, exedy stage 1 HD clutch, trans installed

Engine going in 

Home

Skateboard bearing shifter mod

Uh oh, first issue. Since I am using an evo 5 body harness and an evo 6 engine harness, this connector doesn't work. 

Pour into wiring diagrams and find that the difference is that the evo 6 has the hi and low fans on seperate circuits, to help with amp draw on inrush if the fans were to come on at the same time. I ended up splicing those circuits together, de-pinning the connector from the 5 harness, and re-pinning it. I tested the operation on evoscan and everything worked as necessary, so, good news. 
Transfer case in, upgraded fasteners in the LSD as well. This is actually an upgrade for this car as from the factory it came with an open diff.

Fixed this janky battery relocation thing. Connections were all bad, it wasn't actually mounted so I built this little bracket

Put a battery in, go to crank it over.. nothing. Welp, back to the wiring diagrams. 

Nothing was readily obvious, and old 90's wiring diagrams not exactly my specialty, so I just grabbed the old harness and looked at every single connector between the cabin harness and the engine harness. 

Welp, can't really tell, but there is the issue. The starter trigger wire, and the fuel pump power wire are flipped between the 5 and 6 harnesses. The 6 has the larger wire as powering the fuel pump, where the 5 has that one triggering the starter. 
I actually keep molex connectors on hand, so I just flipped them. 

Now, turned the key and it cranks! But nothing happens lol. I was using an evo 5 ECU, from a friend. Thinking like, that is the only difference now.. I tracked down an evo 6 ECU, plugged that one in, then boom.. fired right up. Sometime between my friend removing that evo 5 ecu from his car, another friend tried to use it in an evo 4, wouldn't work. ANOTHER friend tried to use it in an evo 4, wouldn't work in that one either. I tried in my 5, wouldn't work. If he plugs it into his evo 5, still works. Still a mystery, I think some of the later 5's have some wiring harness changes. But anyways, now I had a running, working car. 

Put the interior back together

Fresh rotors, fresh pads, fresh rubber

Restored things

Friend came over the help bleed the brakes

So close!

Coming off jackstands, bumper installed for the first time in a long time. 

First drive, went for a lonnnngg drive. Like 3-4 hours driving around the city, bedding in the brakes, bedding in the clutch. 

First weekend, took it to a big meet in Edmonton. 

Showing off the immaculate underhood, noticed something about my friends gray evo 4.. 

What are the chances, both cars imported to Canada and end up owned by two friends haha. 

And then, I drove the car for a while and went to work.. felt like, happy to have it, but at the same time it wasn't as good as the 6. The 6 just felt more sorted, more dialed in, stronger, tighter.. and I had plans to go over the full evo 5, re-do the suspension bushes, coilovers, blah blah. But it still felt a little dumb to have two cars with so much overlap.

Then, a friend who had an evo 5, sold it, and regretted it ever since kept on hassling me to sell this car. Eventually, he bothered me enough I named a price over double the total of what I had invested in the car just to shut him up and he said sure. The same day, the evo 3 was listed locally, someone sent me the ad, within an hour I sent the guy a deposit to remove his ad. The following weekend I drove the car to pick up my friend who bought the car at the airport, I got to the city early, paid for the 3, got the keys, then went and picked my friend up at the airport. 

Note the 3 and 5. 

Of course I sold the 5 because this guy really wanted it, he was going to do a full restoration, make the car awesome and really do right by it... instead what happened was he sold the car 6 months later lol. He sold it to someone who winter drove it, wrecked the front bumper, drove it for a while and then re-sold it. The newest owner reached out to me on instagram just this week, so I know my work has held up and the car is now in good hands. He has gotten it tuned (making 295awhp 280ft-lbs torque), stripped the underbody and re-sealed it and is starting to go over everything.  Currently has 178,000 km so my work held up for 35,000+ kms. 

Everyone, including GF, thought I was stupid for getting the 3 over the 5. My mechanic who did my inspection on the 5, also did the OOP on the 3 for me and just laughed and laughed and thought I was an idiot haha. 

I really don't regret selling the car, because I bought the 3 entirely on profits form the 5. The 3 and the 6 are two very different cars, and I also like having something to work on so the 3 has scratched that itch. I also want to get the 3 sorted to the point where that one can be my track car, and I think that will be a more raw experience since the car is light, has mechanical diffs, and doesn't even have ABS at the moment. So, there you have it.. I don't know what else I will have for content going backwards. I will probably make a post of just pictures of the cars I like but I maybe didn't get to post, and from here on it will just be moving forward with things. 

I am not a guy who gets mad at people talking E36 M3, commenting, posting in my thread so have at it lol. 

JAdams
JAdams Reader
2/9/22 3:19 p.m.

Just read the whole thread and so much win in this Evo heavy thread! Off to look at Evos like they are cheap again... 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/14/22 11:13 a.m.
JAdams said:

Just read the whole thread and so much win in this Evo heavy thread! Off to look at Evos like they are cheap again... 

Yeah, those were the days lol. 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/14/22 11:37 a.m.

Washed 7, quick detail and carpro reload

Troubleshot why the washer sprayers quit working for the windscreen.. turns out it was empty. 

It was pretty nice out so I started the Starion for the first time this winter. 

Water pipe to thermostat o ring had leaked since I got it, finally got around to fixing it

There is a bolt on the back of the block that holds a bracket on the water pipe that I needed to remove to be able to drop the pipe down far enough.. what a pain. You can't see it, or get your head anywhere to watch it while you work, no room for my mirror, just stabbing in the dark on the back side of the block. That one bolt, I probably spent 25 minutes trying to remove it and another hour and half trying to get it to thread back in. In the end, I took the bolt and tapered the threads so it would actually stab in and get started.. after that it took 30 seconds. Pain in my butt. 

Anyways, fixed now. Put on 900 km yesterday and it didn't leak. 

I also ordered a few new spark plug covers, 

As part of engine bay tidying, for the 6 I exchanged the old tomei exhaust manifold shield for this new original one. I also replaced the spark plug cover. Now that blue hose bothers me even more. 

Moved that Tomei exhaust manifold cover over to the evo 7, replaced the spark plug cover, replaced the upper radiator support brackets, got the proper bracket to hold the expansion tank hose for the radiator, replaced that hose, cleaned the intake filter. Also replaced the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor for the ECU, while I was there. 

Cleaned both these units

And, finally got tires mounted on these wheels for the 6. 245/40-17 Firestone Indy500. Still a pretty grippy street tire, but should shoot less little rocks than the re71 and break my heart a little less. 

I was hoping to get them mounted on the car, but cleaning the odyssey, doing an oil change blah blah took longer than expected. I think the tensioner pulley is also making a racket so I had to troubleshoot that. For the wheels, I didn't have time because I need to install the decals and then ceramic coat these units before putting them on the car. Next trip home. 

Gambit0117
Gambit0117 New Reader
2/15/22 8:50 a.m.

Steelies on the odessey are the look...

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/15/22 11:00 a.m.
Gambit0117 said:

Steelies on the odessey are the look...

Steelies and oversized winter tires. Want an odyssey post? You got it!

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/15/22 11:06 a.m.

Picked up this 2005 JDM Honda Odyssey for the missus daily.

Grade 4b at auction, 80,000 km. Upon landing sent it to my mechanic who performed the OOP, changed all the fluids (said they all looked new), passed OOP with flying colours after DRLs install.

Against better judgement, bought one jdm connection had inbound, who then lost the keys. We have since come to an agreement but it was and is a pain in the assay. This one has the comfort options, so there is a card that locks and unlocks the doors by proximity, keyless start. Right now we only have one, and re-keyed the door to work but the alarm goes off if you ever need to use it.

Other than that, it is in great shape. The interior still looks new, and the kick panels still have the blue plastic installed over the brushed aluminum. Zero rust, looks immaculate underneath and I have since cleaned up the headlights and ceramic coated them, re-did the rubber coating in the wheel wells, and fluid filmed underneath. We also picked up some winter tire and rim combo, went with Yokohama IG53s that blow my studded firestones on the pajero out of the water.

Roof lines of these are 9" lower than the USDM odyssey.

Underneath

Re-done wheel wells

Factory wheels are these cool Enkeis 

So, this one is an RB2 chassis code, which came with AWD. It also has a k24A, and vtecs. 

Impressions: I like it, very comfortable, is getting about 9L/100 km on average in the summer, 10ish in the winter. Has a good stereo that works with the phone. The interior is quiet, and it doesn't feel low on power. These things are plentiful and cheap at auction, and hoping for some Honda reliability out of this thing. 

There is an up to date oil change sticker on the door, from like 1000 kms ago in 2020, so I don't think it sat around too long before export, but the summer tires are a little dry rotted and the wipers were plugged with disgusting gunk. I had to take the whole system apart, hit it with pressure, then steam clean it. Also re-sprayed the wiper cowl at that time. 

This is what came out of the washer sprayers when I hit them backwards with 100 psi. They worked for a bit (got through OOP) then quit when we were driving it home, so I am guessing this sludge was sitting in the tank and when the level got lower it got rammed through the lines. 

Rear two rows of seats fold flat. The rear most row folds into the floor,  the fronts also fold frontwards and gives you heaps of room. It came with a bunch of music loaded onto it, which is all Japanese and rad. 

Over the summer I did a full paint correction on the odyssey. 

(Modulo wing installed)

You can see there that the paint was just kind of dull. I was hoping to get away with a single stage polish, but the roof was extra dull and two stage medium-heavy cut/polish hex logic pad followed with a medium - light polish pad was the ticket. 

Before, clean paint.. it wasn't bad but there was clear damage under the door handles, mirrors where water would drip. 

Washed

Still wet

After polishing and ceramic coat.

Outside in the shade

Outside in the sun

Just to document the process for those interested: 
1: Rinse
2: Snow foam and wash with washing mitt
3: Autoglym Magma (same as iron x w/e)
4: Clay bar
5: Rinse
6: Dry 
7: Mask off rubber / handles
8: cut with hex logic medium-heavy cutting pad and meguiars ultimate compound (I tried a couple, this seemed to get the best results)
9: polished with hex logic medium-light polish pad with meguiars ultimate polish 
10: Sonax profiline ceramic coat c36

Bonus Pajero arts

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/16/22 11:38 a.m.

Photo dump, some of my old vehicles or just photos I like of current ones. 

One of my Tacomas, I kinda miss that unit. 

First Evo I bought, evo 5

My first truck, 1994 Mazda B4000, and my first tacoma

My old GC Subaru with my friend's GD. GC was the first car I imported and to this day remains the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Constantly broken, always something. Oil pump kept over pressuring the oiling system, sending the crank seal out of the block into the pulley, leaking all oil. I had the timing belt off like 5-6 times trying to mend what the issue is, and through a lot of troubleshooting finally came down to oil pump. Pretty common thing now, some screws on the back of the pump come loose, then oil pump doesn't regulate pressure as needed. Of course, at the time, the internet and forums weren't as much of a thing, it wasn't very common to import JDM cars into Canada and the info just wasn't there. 

1995 Subaru Impreza Wrx STi Version 2. 

The same GD with the 6, many years later. 

Basically still, every GD STi that goes through auctions I have to talk myself out of buying it, I really like those cars. 

Evo 6 covered in snow

Looking fresh, I love this silver at night it just comes alive. 

1998 Mitsubishi RVR Sports Gear. AWD, GDI 4g64 I purchased for my sister. This thing has been incredibly reliable. 

Jeep Cherokee of my brothers

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/22 11:52 a.m.

Always enjoy seeing this thread pop up to distract me from work :)

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/16/22 12:26 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

that is why I make the posts also lol

Gambit0117
Gambit0117 New Reader
2/16/22 12:55 p.m.

cannot believe how good that odessey looks with the chopped roof.... does the roofline being lower make it seem smaller?

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/16/22 1:37 p.m.
Gambit0117 said:

cannot believe how good that odessey looks with the chopped roof.... does the roofline being lower make it seem smaller?

I think with some lowering springs, they can be made look pretty cool. They come in some great colours, my favorite probably being this purple my friend had:

For spacious, I can't really compare it to a USDM one as I don't have a ton of seat time in one of those. I think I was a passenger in one like 12 years ago for about 15 minutes. But, I think the odyssey feels very spacious. Lots of room, fits a ton of junk in the interior, you still sit very upright, have a lot of headroom. 

Since all 4 doors open outward like a station wagon, it is technically registered as a station wagon, and all the paperwork says station wagon. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/22 3:00 p.m.
tperkins said:
Gambit0117 said:

I think with some lowering springs, they can be made look pretty cool. They come in some great colours, my favorite probably being this purple my friend had:

For spacious, I can't really compare it to a USDM one as I don't have a ton of seat time in one of those. I think I was a passenger in one like 12 years ago for about 15 minutes. But, I think the odyssey feels very spacious. Lots of room, fits a ton of junk in the interior, you still sit very upright, have a lot of headroom. 

Since all 4 doors open outward like a station wagon, it is technically registered as a station wagon, and all the paperwork says station wagon. 

Google says that the newer Odysseys (can't speak to the 2005) are entirely different cars between the two markets, with the JDM version being smaller in every dimension. 

Very interesting, I had no idea the AWD K20 version (with sleeker lines) existed 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/16/22 3:15 p.m.
birdmayne said:
tperkins said:
Gambit0117 said:

[snip]

Google says that the newer Odysseys (can't speak to the 2005) are entirely different cars between the two markets, with the JDM version being smaller in every dimension. 

Very interesting, I had no idea the AWD K20 version (with sleeker lines) existed 

Yeah, very different. Body different, chassis different, different engine (k24a), awd. Its closer to like a TSX engine / front suspension, with CR-V awd system and with 7 seats. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/16/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

That shot of the Tac with the muddy tyres just screams "fun day" 

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/16/22 4:16 p.m.
StripesSA1 said:

In reply to tperkins :

That shot of the Tac with the muddy tyres just screams "fun day" 

fun day usually followed by a 40$ car wash lol

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/17/22 11:57 a.m.

Another photo dump, probably run out after one more post haha. 

Ice fishing

The 7 when my friend still had it

{enter the 3}

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/18/22 12:43 p.m.

TimM
TimM Reader
2/19/22 4:28 a.m.

You are a mitsi enthusiast!  

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/19/22 12:26 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

It was an accident haha 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/22 4:46 a.m.

Great thread, keep it going.

I'm an accidental Mitsubishi enthusiast myself, but with far less time, budget or skill.   

My daily since 2010 (and backup autocross car), 04 Ralliart. Very rare in the US, since only imported for one year. I don't know if Canada got them for longer than that.

tperkins
tperkins New Reader
2/20/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

There are literally dozens of us! 

You sure don't see a lot of them. I've seen a couple, but could be US imports. I'm not sure, I have been looking at importing a Cedia Wagon, as they're pretty much free at auctions. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0uZfDJl3riAXj66SUXI1wE91msJp4yzLSTyXkpo5BaYCyhdj5Ol7U8HJ0X8GTMba