1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/28/22 11:15 p.m.

Got the car home, got pretty dirty.  

Let’s just say this took some time. Washed underneath. Rinsed, suds, rinse, suds and mitt, rinsed, clay bar’d, polished the new paint then ceramic coated the new paint, then carpro reload the rest of the car… then double checked all the work. 

Painting the front end really brought the car up, with these headlights it’s just great. 

Bonus round

Changed the fender liners while I had the bumper off, old set was rubbed through from when it was super low

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/4/23 12:05 p.m.

Finally had time to get the tundra in to Sublime Surfacing, honeysealed the bottom. I bought the truck because it was pretty decently rust free for something of the year / mileage / always used in winter around edmonton, but now it looks cherry. It actually looks like new again, in the pictures its just shy of 200,000 km and is a 2014. Very happy with the work, that shop's attention to detail I would say matches or exceeds mine and when you are in there talking to him about it, he is passionate about what he does. He had the truck for 4 days, then gave me the old speed academy discount (100$ off).  

Expected life of the honeyseal in some places is 15 years, in places that get washed with stones and pebbles and everything on the highway he said to come back and have them touched up in 3-5 years (depending on how much you drive, I will likely be on the lower end of that). 

Semi considering getting the evos done, maybe at least the 7. 

Bonus round

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/4/23 12:10 p.m.

Man the EVO brakes are so red and beautiful!

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
1/4/23 2:11 p.m.

Very clean, very nice. I'm worried about my RAM rusting away with the Ontario road salt, it's clean now but who knows how long that will last

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/4/23 4:09 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

Very clean, very nice. I'm worried about my RAM rusting away with the Ontario road salt, it's clean now but who knows how long that will last

If you plan on keeping it you can bring it to Honeyseal in Ontario. ABOUT US | HoneySeal I have seen even like 2020 rams already rusting in the front pinch welds on the box between the cab and the box. 

Funny timing but Speed Academy actually had their Tundra in the Toronto shop at the same time if you want some more information, understanding of the process. 

automotiveflux
1/4/23 4:13 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

That is great timing, I was wondering how the process works. Thanks!

Deltabox
Deltabox New Reader
1/8/23 7:39 p.m.

I'll just set this here............

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-mitsubishi-pajero-evolution-3/

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/9/23 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Deltabox :

I regret not buying one of those when they were 12-14k CAD, but I have never had excessive room haha. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/10/23 11:34 a.m.
Deltabox said:

I'll just set this here............

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-mitsubishi-pajero-evolution-3/

Yeah saw that. The MT version sold recently for a decent coin.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/17/23 4:04 p.m.

Pajevo sold for 48k USD.. that used to be a 12-14k CAD car lol. 

I just just noticed there is a truck / boring daily section but I think I will just keep this here. All my junk in the same spot. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/17/23 6:19 p.m.

Anotehr Pajero EVO popped up. 

For rare 2500 made, there is 2 a week on BaT 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/18/23 10:46 a.m.

Yeah, actual numbers according to jdmdatabase are 2,693 total. 634 manuals and 2059 autos.  It never really felt like there was a shortage at auction either, but I think they were collector spec right when they were released so probably not as many died as you'd expect. 

I know one went to the crusher in Yellowknife, NWT because the story goes the owner ingested water into the engine. 

automotiveflux
1/18/23 11:33 a.m.

I'm convinced the guys on Bring A Trailer have too much spare money and time, stuff is almost always inflated there.

I know a guy who was an early Bitcoin investor that likes to buy cars from there. In talking to him about it, I think he is just doing it for the experience. (and maybe the Bentleys also)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/18/23 12:21 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

I'm convinced the guys on Bring A Trailer have too much spare money and time, stuff is almost always inflated there.

I know a guy who was an early Bitcoin investor that likes to buy cars from there. In talking to him about it, I think he is just doing it for the experience. (and maybe the Bentleys also)

Hellelullah for the BAT buyers. Without them, I couldn't do what I do.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/23/23 11:00 a.m.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/31/23 12:55 p.m.

Truck stuff

Happy Birthday Cars (sometime in february)

28, 24 and 22.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/23 1:36 p.m.

Nice. A lot of Feb build dates. Mine is the 3rd. 

My next toy when I get a little room to store it will be an Evo III. I built 2 fake ones in the day so It'd be good to have a real one. 

automotiveflux
1/31/23 3:49 p.m.

It's taken a while to grow on me but that Evo II/III is looking very nice. 4, 5 and 6 are my favourite in terms of style.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
2/2/23 12:22 p.m.

Evo 6 is what started it all for me, so I get it lol. The other two kinda just, I saw the value in them and always liked all the evos. But I have never really met an enthusiast car I didn't like, so.. When you are in a community its easier to find the deals.  

The 3 is great, as a drivers car. But its not good for much else, loud, tinny, jarring.. but boy does it provide some nice feedback lol. Its also the lightest by 500 lbs at least. 

automotiveflux
2/2/23 1:05 p.m.

With prices going up the only way to get into an Evo might be the less desirable ones haha. You have a serious collection though, all cool stuff with history.

The Evo 3 is a little different than the others with the engine mirrored (similar to an eclipse?), I see that style 4G63t goes for cheaper on ebay also which is interesting, may be cheaper to maintain since we actually got them here.

How's insurance in Alberta for RHD cars? I've heard its crazy in Ontario but that's always from people who never even tried to own one.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
2/2/23 6:45 p.m.

In reply to automotiveflux :

Alberta is the land of freedom, for now, for RHD cars, but recently our conservative party removed caps on insurance growth rates and things got silly... one of the highest rates in the country [freedom intensifies]. I know friends in Ontario that were paying monthly what I pay annually for RHD's, so I think it is actually silly there. 

Engine blocks are plentiful for these, but things like transmissions, rear diffs, transfer cases still a little harder. Unless you just went full DSM driveline, much taller gears etc. You really have to research each part individually for driveline components on what is useful due to gear ratios, final drives, blah blah. 

Evo 1-3 are already USA legal and they definitely got the 25 year bump.. but the prices aren't crazy. Evo 4/5/6 will likely be the most expensive of the whole series. 

automotiveflux
2/3/23 10:46 a.m.

Crazy how that works with the import rules, prices just keep going up on these cars. I've seen Evo 4s going for approximately $23,000 here which isn't terrible (depending on condition). Every Evo X out there seems to be questionably modified and way over priced haha

tperkins
tperkins Reader
2/3/23 10:50 a.m.
automotiveflux
2/3/23 11:44 a.m.

That's crazy, the car in extremely clean though so I can understand the pricing.

Here's one in Mississauga https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-evo-iv-turbo-awd/1580241705 at $22,000 CAD

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

Well, I have an RS. My Mirage RS has the same suspension and brake setup as the Evo III with even less sound deadening. Love it as a driver's car.

Building out a set of custom coilovers based on koni's I'll have more info on my thread once it gets done. DA front singles in the rear. 400/325 springs. It actually rode not too bad on my last car. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jb7fVonRbRDZU6a36axzGsbgMuY9VuNnDtRE6uTecI252RmMAL5tEVuCj1jPf5vu