1 2 3 ... 12
egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:19 p.m.

There is a neighborhood on the east side of Winnipeg called Transcona. Long renowned for where a young man could go to get experience at the hands of an older woman. A Cougar if you will.
This is the build thread for the 1997 cougar XR7.
This will be the best thread here for several reasons.
1. Its a lot farther along and I may actually finish it
2. I use a lot of pics.
3. It is not a first gen Camaro. (Sorry I am just burnt out on them right now)
4. Because I said so! (See my online name)
This was never supposed to be a Cougar. The plan all along was for this to be a super-coupe. BUT, I received a Cougar from the classified ads for the sum of $450. I HAVE money, I just don't like spending it. The car has been safetied and licensed.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:20 p.m.

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:25 p.m.

v6 or 4.6?

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:27 p.m.

The car isn't in horrible shape and that dent passenger side is the only straightening required. The floor is quite bad but you will see in future posts that it doesn't matter.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
12/25/20 9:27 p.m.

Cool! Not too many of those around anymore. I have a '91 that I've been neglecting sadly.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:30 p.m.

The engine ran like a top. I was tearing it apart with my students and asked on of them to drain the rad. There was no hose attached at the bottom, hmmm that saved some time! Actually ran it around for a lot of miles like that. Ain't using a mod motor anyway.
The Moon roof is a goner. Top end weight and weight in general.
This will be a full on build with an Optima "maybe" future.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:31 p.m.

I enjoy those who respond.
I enjoy those that provide constructive criticism.
But most of all I just enjoy those of you that interact.
I already at twice a week, have enough posts for a couple of years. I PLAN ON SHOWING YOU WHAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WITH A VERY SHODDY GARAGE AND SOME VERY GOOD TOOLS. Oops caps lock.
LOL. Anyways this build is over the top in everything but money.
Its been 10 years or so since my last build. I have it linked here, http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7995
If you look at that you get an idea of what's in store for this car.
I kind of feel guilty as I watched some of you struggle with stuff I had already solved. Maybe you can forgive me as you read along?
So maybe another post Monday or Tuesday?
Trust me I will give you more info than you ever wanted.

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:31 p.m.

oooh 2v 4.6.... get back on kijiji and find a mark 8 or a navigator with any 4v motor AND SWAP IT the thing will be epic

the 2v is just so disappointing.it hurts my soul in some ways.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:32 p.m.

I lied, the next stuff is easy to post up and I want to get you guys sucked in.
This is the stuff laying around the yard that may get repurposed, used for mockup or just give me some good ideas. I have 9inch floater to install and a Crown Vic front end. Does anyone have a source for performance info for these front ends? The truck guys love them but how good are they?

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:34 p.m.

SOOO like all the rest of us I want the biggest tires that are possible. So where do I acquire such things without spending too much money?
Lets see rich boy D-Bags drive Vettes, Vipers, Porsches and Ferraris. And they have more money than brains so usually they get rid of the stock rims.
HMMMM Corvettes are the easiest to find and they show up on the classifieds around here. Hey a set just showed up.
First he wanted $600, then when we arrived they were $500. After we let him talk some more they dropped to $400. Finally he agreed to sell them for $300. Remember I haven't said a word to him about price yet!!!! My buddy Dave says we should have just stood there and said nothing until he gave them away?
I am just starting to acquire some parts here. I have a plan for how it should all turn out stored in my head though. It will be freaking amazing!

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:36 p.m.

Naturally I now have the bug and buying stuff is getting out of hand. I am also making other deals as all this goes around too. The seller of these tires wasn’t going to make any sweetheart deals like the other guy. He is building an SLC and the work he is doing is meticulous. Here is a link to his project, https://www.gt40s.com/threads/kens-slc-build-thread.38446/
Now we have some even bigger tires to put on a project. 850$ gone. Do I keep track of the money or just forget about dollars and be blissfully ignorant instead? You guys can guide me about this part. Its just Canadian dollars so eff it, we don't have a budget anymore!

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:38 p.m.

theres no advantage to the crown vic over the cougar front end as far as mounting alternative engines and stuff goes.or geometry for that matter,the cougar front works well for anything short of mud bogging

and the 8.8 out back in that thing even with the irs can take a shat kicking,just add a proper auburn or cobra spec(carbon clutched) trac lok and gear as you wish,all 8.8 gears will slap right in

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:38 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

My ultimate car was a 89 SC or Cougar because of the Optima rules.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:40 p.m.

In reply to petey :

You wont be disappointed, Iam a lot further ahead.

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:44 p.m.

whats this optima rules thing,not familiar.ive just been dicking around with every derelict mark 8 i could find here in ontarioooo for the last 20 years so im up to speed on the chassis n stuff

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:46 p.m.

In reply to petey :

1989 and older falls into vintage

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:46 p.m.

In reply to petey :

Southern Ontario I assume?

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:48 p.m.

yup.london.and is optima a race series? all i do is drag race,i hate turning left

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/20 9:51 p.m.

In reply to petey :

Class racing brackets what?

petey
petey New Reader
12/25/20 9:59 p.m.

never heard the term optima unless youre talking batteries

i run heads up test and tunes im way too cheap to go class racing here in ontario.even low end brackets are pricy I JUST WANNA GO FAST MAMA 

egoman
egoman Reader
12/28/20 9:15 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/28/20 9:21 p.m.

I must not be fluent in Canadian because I really don't know what's going on in this thread.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/20 9:52 p.m.

Near as I can tell,  theres a mercury cougar from a town notorious (at least in youtube videos) for old women with loose morals and venereal diseases that turned out to be rusty and beat to death that is being chopped up by Canadian vo-tech boys to run in optima street car challenge. There is also some debate about turning left vs straight and right only, such as drag racing. 

After that i got distracted by chapelle show clips on YouTube. 

petey
petey New Reader
12/28/20 9:58 p.m.

i run at 2 local tracks(drag, full manly man 1/4 milers) and both have a sharp right at the end to get back to civilization.a third has a LEFT at the end which has led to some issues late in the evening

ima go look up this street car challenge thing maybe Ontario has something like it...doubtful because anything that might be labeled "fun" is automatically beat down by whatever local mom group decides its time to end it

egoman
egoman Reader
12/29/20 8:59 a.m.

The delivery angel

Remember that I said I was making other deals? This is the arrival of a very expensive deal. I am just getting started and I already hate shipping companies and vendors that are flakes. This fork lift operator is my favorite guy as he loaded my bounty in the trailer and helped get my shipment released. He just went and yelled at the shipper receiver and problem solved.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TrKDf5ikeSXD1MeRYBpXswZ3Xqfd1aNe3loRRjSGIBGmaONMChL9qF7n2FjyxPGk