1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
egoman
egoman Reader
7/10/21 5:10 p.m.

I don’t like doing body work ever! The idea of stitching panels together is why I always raced cars with a sheet metal body where I could just flop on a new panel. But the inner panels have to attach to the fender-wells so here we go.

egoman
egoman Reader
7/12/21 6:17 p.m.

Just some more welding on the fender inners and fender wells. Apparently Optima looks for inner fenders.

egoman
egoman Reader
7/14/21 10:30 a.m.

Today was a cleanup everything day. That never means that you are done, but something that needed to get done got done.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/21 11:18 a.m.

You've got a ton more experience than me, and it clearly shows. Question: Why not make the slugs a little longer, so you don't risk hanging weld bead into their openings? Do they serve any purpose other than preventing the box section from collapsing when you torque the bolt? I usually make mine flush with the box section, then use the smallest bead I can around the OD of the slug. I haven't had a problem with bolts not passing through. 

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/21 1:25 p.m.

Slugs? Always knerw them as crush tubes since I first worked at Freightliner back in 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-nIJsTZA4

https://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/crush.html

egoman
egoman Reader
7/14/21 3:26 p.m.
twentyover said:

Slugs? Always knerw them as crush tubes since I first worked at Freightliner back in 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-nIJsTZA4

https://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/crush.html

They are crush tubes when they are assembled. Sitting in the toolbox waiting to be used they are slugs. You were not wrong! If I use them to pass seat belt bolts through then they are not acting as crush tubes at all? I would know what you were talking about no matter which term you used, LOL!

egoman
egoman Reader
7/14/21 3:30 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

You've got a ton more experience than me, and it clearly shows. Question: Why not make the slugs a little longer, so you don't risk hanging weld bead into their openings? Do they serve any purpose other than preventing the box section from collapsing when you torque the bolt? I usually make mine flush with the box section, then use the smallest bead I can around the OD of the slug. I haven't had a problem with bolts not passing through. 

HMMM I already answered this and it disappeared? If I make the slugs shorter they are lighter and the shorter bolts also become lighter. At least that's how I justify it? Honestly I just like that flush look. 1/2 drill bits are not cheap but it's apparently a price I am willing/stupid enough to pay!

egoman
egoman Reader
7/18/21 12:20 p.m.

Just love when I can sit at the drafting table and whip off some drawings for the man who operates the CNC plasma. These are for the coilover brackets and they are designed to be able to move an inch at a time. If that seems like too large a move; notice that there are 2 different offsets so we have ½ inch adjustability. Technically we should never be more than a ¼ inch away from placing the shock where we want it. 

egoman
egoman Reader
7/23/21 8:47 p.m.

I almost pooped myself when Facebook marketplace showed me this. Let’s see it’s a 351 roller Windsor with an OD auto trans. It’s 2 wheel drive and is fully optioned. This people is a freakin unicorn!

I will use this powertrain and wiring harness to initially get the car running and moving and after selling all the parts off it that I don’t need I should break even.

The previous owner babied this truck to no end. After we signed the papers I told him what its fate was going to be. He nearly cried, but I showed him what I was working on and he wasn’t as sad. BUT he was still sad!

egoman
egoman Reader
7/26/21 1:10 p.m.

Facebook Marketplace just seems to know what I need on any given day!

egoman
egoman Reader
7/26/21 1:11 p.m.

This is another case of “I just had to have it”

Dummy Styrofoam 351w block for doing mounts and other stuff.

I actually never used it, not even once…………………………..

Anybody need one?????

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/26/21 8:45 p.m.

Need it? No, but I do kinda want it! laugh

egoman
egoman Reader
7/27/21 8:02 p.m.
slowbird said:

Need it? No, but I do kinda want it! laugh

See, you get me. Need is for the weak, want is for those who are too weak to say no! SOOOO if you are going to be weak anyways, get the toys!

egoman
egoman Reader
7/30/21 6:54 p.m.

Last March we had all schools shut down for Covid and were doing remote learning. I was up at 6am setting out the assignments for the students and checked my E-mails every 2 hours. The rest of the time I was basically bored. When I get bored stuff is going to happen, and quickly!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/2/21 7:18 p.m.

This is the self-isolation of 2020. I need to not go bananas so I end up working even harder than normal. The drivetrain in that service truck will be coming out in the next few days.

egoman
egoman Reader
8/6/21 9:14 a.m.

Getting the motor ready to leave the chassis is a big deal. There are so many wires that I actually have to worry about not screwing up. Any mechanics that are on here are aware of “special” bolts that the manufacturers use just to piss you off. There are a few of them here and I will make note of them. Some engineers need a punch in their ugly faces!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/6/21 4:29 p.m.

We hit a milestone with that last post. That would be my 100th post. Now if you actually counted them it may not work out exactly as some posts are actually broke down into two or three because of posting limits for pictures.

What this means is that I worked 100 days on the car. Some were 10-12 hours, and some were only a few hours, but those were the days that I put in. This just gives you a guideline as to the amount of work you need to put in to build a car from scratch.

There are a lot of days that you are building something that is just to help you work on the car, most of those I documented. There are also lots of days where you are just running around picking stuff up and I kept no record of those days. Intellectual time also resulted in no record, but many days of pondering.

Let’s just for arguments sake say that those were 8 hour days. We are at 800 hours of labor. Even with a 50$ an hour shop rate we are at $40,000 in labor charges. We probably have at least that much more to go.

When you see a car that’s been shop built and done with an open check-book most of us would faint at the cost the owner paid to have that car done. OH and try and find a $50 shop rate. I am terrified of the costs of paint and body when we get there!

I post this not as a discouragement, but for the readers and the dreamers to realize that this stuff isn’t for the faint of heart. I also do it so all these cars are appreciated. Sometimes I need to learn that myself as I am a bit of a snob.

This is a labor of love and while I work on this car my mind wanders to what I am going to work on next? No sense in just getting a restful night’s sleep, when you can have the grey matter running all night.

HMMM, a plane made from carbon fiber would be ultra-cool……………………………

egoman
egoman Reader
8/9/21 12:44 p.m.

Started the day with no intentions of removing this motor. Things just started rolling and here we are!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/11/21 9:28 p.m.

Borrowed my neighbor’s trailer and hauled the core off to the car wash. It’s easier to lose skin that doesn’t get infected. Clean prevents gangrene, REMEMBER that kids!

buenavides1
buenavides1 New Reader
8/11/21 10:42 p.m.

I like the detail that you have provided in every photo. It seems like you have to deal with a lot of rust. 

egoman
egoman Reader
8/12/21 4:22 p.m.
buenavides1 said:

I like the detail that you have provided in every photo. It seems like you have to deal with a lot of rust. 

Its actually not as bad as I originally thought it would be. I have als0 noticed that the camera makes it look worse than it is too. Thanks for the comment on the photos. I am always afraid that I put in too much stuff!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/16/21 8:39 p.m.

The motor had to be able to go in from the top. It goes in pretty easy with all belts and attachments. Ultimately though we may have to remove the upper intake in the future for clearance.

egoman
egoman Reader
8/19/21 2:41 p.m.

Late spring/winter storm that threatens to drop the roof of my garage on the car. Never mind that all that snow melt will make it rain inside for several days. A few hours of shoveling will give me a few days of working in the garage.

egoman
egoman Reader
8/21/21 6:26 p.m.

Just spinning up a whole bunch of slugs for seat belt mounts suspension bolt-throughs and whatever else may come up. I have an old lathe that I acquired from a work buddy who was retiring and downsizing. My dad went to pick it up and was offered a whole bunch more stuff for another $100. He took it no questions asked and it was worth way more than that. GOOD JOB Dad!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/25/21 2:26 p.m.

When the seat is mounted we can make race car noises!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VBzPieR0qhay9oWLp2m3hEjaNMjbzg1j0Xy7WlpkBviYrL1moW2Vq00184ry2Vs7