1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
egoman
egoman Reader
8/30/21 8:27 p.m.

Today’s project is the manufacturing of a steering column support bracket. Brackets are the bane of all builders and we ultimately try to always accomplish at least 2 things for each one we make.

We will also endeavor to reduce their size and weight as we get all the measurements dialed in. Shorten, drill, grind, and ounces will add up to pounds.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/30/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to egoman :

Cool build.  Thanks for documenting it so well.  It's nice to see the process and your notes/thoughts along the way. yes

egoman
egoman Reader
8/31/21 6:59 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

In reply to egoman :

Cool build.  Thanks for documenting it so well.  It's nice to see the process and your notes/thoughts along the way. yes

Thank you! I appreciate any feedback, and the ability to look back at my own work keeps me honest. I learned a while ago how to post pics, and I am somewhat fanatical about it now. I hope that I actually have skills that someone can learn from. I mean I am a vocational teacher so you would think I have something to offer? HMMM Maybe  not, LOL!

egoman
egoman Reader
9/7/21 9:47 p.m.

Just trying to get the controls out of the way. Steering column and shifter were on the agenda for today.

egoman
egoman Reader
9/7/21 9:58 p.m.

Motor mounts for a SBF are quite easy as they are a flat plate. I would have preferred to have some flexible motor mounts but with limited clearance under the cowl I have chosen solids for the engine.

egoman
egoman Reader
10/21/21 8:08 p.m.

I haven’t forgot about the threads that I post. I have been busy with a rather large project at home that has been consuming my time and limiting my access to the car, or at least where I am building the car. (Guesses are welcome)

The project is currently outside and waiting to be restarted, but I still have many posts to get us through the winter. My modus operandi has been to post an update as I develop new ones. That allows me to make sure our -40 winters up here still have something that makes life worth living.

While I do plan on having more time to work on the car before the real cold sets in, that may not happen. Ultimately, we will start our winter postings when the snow starts to fall and looks like it is here to stay for a while.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/11/21 11:58 p.m.

OK its been about 2 months since my last post but I have a good reason. Its just when I say it out loud it doesn't sound as good?
I have been rolling quite hard on building a new shop to work out of and even with a lot of stuff for you to see in the bank I always had an excuse. 
Well the local inspector has shut me down until I get better at acquiring proper permits. BUT, I did actually do some work on the car today and I like to trade a post now for one that you will see in the future. 
This is just words but I am posting pics and text right away!
I hope there are still some out there that want to see them.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/12/21 12:02 a.m.

Needed the wires gone so I could continue with more work on the car. I didn’t lose any blood and I don’t have any deep lacerations so we can call that a good day then!

egoman
egoman Reader
12/16/21 8:51 p.m.

We are doing the last of the body positioning details so we can remove the body from the frame. This will make running all the lines and new wiring harnesses much easier. It isn’t just a matter of removing the body because we could do that at any time. The important part is to make sure it can go back in the same position.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
12/19/21 9:28 p.m.

Decided that today was the day that the car would get out for a ride. That ride would just be on a trailer but a ride nonetheless. Backing the trailer in and running the ramps under the car but trying to catch the edge of the jig was an adventure.

Attached Images

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
12/27/21 9:48 p.m.

Decided that today was the day that the car would get out for a ride. That ride would just be on a trailer but a ride nonetheless. Backing the trailer in and running the ramps under the car but trying to catch the edge of the jig was an adventure.

Attached Images

Attached Images

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
12/28/21 8:04 a.m.

Glad to see the update. 

egoman
egoman Reader
1/3/22 9:07 p.m.

We spent all that time building a car and now we are taking the body off. The trolley and the engine hoist are able to handle most of the chores required. The floor jack with the rigid pipe stands played a supporting role. (Get it, supporting role) I kill me, LOL.

Attached Images

Attached Images

Attached Images

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/4/22 12:12 a.m.

What a milestone! Congratulations, looks great

Will
Will UberDork
1/4/22 11:10 a.m.

Next update: funnycar flopper body?

egoman
egoman Reader
1/4/22 8:52 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

What a milestone! Congratulations, looks great

Thank you. This is definitely one of those milestone days!

egoman
egoman Reader
1/4/22 8:55 p.m.
Will said:

Next update: funnycar flopper body?

I always have the idea that the body could be changed if necessary in a few days. That goes back to racing sprints and modifieds where maintenance from destroyed car to fresh had to happen overnight or quicker.

egoman
egoman Reader
1/10/22 9:03 p.m.

It was December 2nd and my friend Rod decided that we were going for a snowmobile ride. It was -26C and their was a 30km wind. That's only if you were standing still. We were travelling about 50-70 MPH most of the time.
Anyways this is where my trip that day ended. The Birchwood had a tremendous Burger and fries though!
https://lateral-g.net/forums/attachm...1&d=1641865028
That's what frostbite looks like. My friends were sure that I could continue. One of them wrote his sled off by the end of the day and has been off work since with a sore back. Once again I made a phone call to my friend David Winning to gather up my truck and come get me. This is what we do for fun in the great white north! Strangely enough there was no feeling of getting cold or any pain since it happened.

egoman
egoman Reader
1/17/22 9:51 p.m.

Freedom was fleeting but we are all back up on the chassis jig and the body jig.

Attached Images

ttached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
1/25/22 8:26 p.m.

Closing out some areas, fitting headers, adding brackets, changing a mistake or two. You know regular car building stuff.

Attached Images         
Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
1/31/22 8:47 p.m.

Trimming motor mounts, making trans mounts, SIGH.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
2/7/22 9:24 p.m.

After waiting on a colleague to do some plasma cutting for me I finally found what I needed laying on my desk. Thanks to Paul Jonker for helping me out. These pieces will become my coilover mounts. You have seen the drawings for these several posts ago. I also had an adventure to acquire myself some inner wheel tubs for the rear of the car. I phoned the trailer place and they said that they had a few hundred in stock. GOOD, I will be right there. ½ hour drive and at the desk! We don’t have any of those here? I just talked to you guys and you said you had hundreds. “Oh was that our OTHER store”? Two hour round trip to the “other” store and I had them in my possession. After waiting on a colleague to do some plasma cutting for me I finally found what I needed laying on my desk. Thanks to Paul Jonker for helping me out. These pieces will become my coil-over mounts. You have seen the drawings for these several posts ago. I also had an adventure to acquire myself some inner wheel tubs for the rear of the car. I phoned the trailer place and they said that they had a few hundred in stock. GOOD, I will be right there. ½ hour drive and at the desk! We don’t have any of those here? I just talked to you guys and you said you had hundreds. “Oh was that our OTHER store”? Two hour round trip to the “other” store and I had them in my possession.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
2/7/22 10:57 p.m.

Spot welds on the wheel tubs look neat, what welder are you using?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/8/22 11:21 a.m.

I've used similar bend lines in thinner metal. Were those just bent with a vice and a hammer, or something more sophisticated?

egoman
egoman Reader
2/8/22 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

My Harbor Freight 215 Vulcan. I tried to use tools that anyone could get, so my build would be impressive but relatable. I have better benders, notchers and welders than what I used on this car but it doesn't change the outcome, LOL. 

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GbMy05DQVF8nF17prWzgA1VbB65ywNjAOY4OokiZyoCtq9LIe59NPeIyuO52mbZk