1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/5/23 3:48 p.m.

Making the grill this weekend, and probably a day or two more

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/5/23 8:38 p.m.

Still needs the bars but I'm out of time for the weekend.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/6/23 11:10 p.m.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
3/7/23 4:56 a.m.

Nice! Are you going to add wires horizontally also?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
3/7/23 7:23 a.m.

If GRM had a Mt. Rushmore, this car would be on it. 

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/7/23 7:56 a.m.

In reply to jimgood :

Nah, just need to clean up around where the bars are welded in and touch up a couple spots on the face of the shell and it'll be done. So this you see is the look it's going to have.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
3/7/23 8:51 a.m.

This is amazing.  I already loved the engine choice, but seeing an M90 strapped on the side is right up my alley.  Following all this metal work is keeping me right at the edge of my seat!  Can't wait for the next update.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/8/23 10:08 p.m.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/22/23 6:18 p.m.

Nothing spectacular and new.  I messed with the seat cover some last week and the oil pan last weekend. 

And then just like this view

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
3/26/23 9:57 p.m.

World's ugliest oil pan baffles.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
4/1/23 3:41 p.m.

Hmm, is that good? 

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/3/23 8:19 p.m.

I also did this last weekend. This engine has the dumbest oil pan gasket set up I've ever seen.  I wanted to put new gaskets up front anyway but this all had to come off to put the new oil pan gasket on.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/23 8:40 p.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

If it's any consolation, Ford Duratec V6s (also the Ecoboosts based on them) have a similar oil pan setup.  And because it is part of the bellhousing pattern, you cannot remove the oil pan without removing the timing cover or the transmission.

The Official Procedure™ is to loosen the engine to trans bolts and wedge them apart enough to get the oil pan out.

I've only done one, and the trans was out anyway when I did it, which made it easier.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/3/23 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Sounds about the same, it's probably easy when the engine is being first assembled on a stand and they just pretend it'll never have to be done ever again so it doesn't matter how difficult it is later.

MichaelRogers
MichaelRogers New Reader
4/4/23 1:27 a.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

BEAUTIFUL work! I recall an article in SPORTS CAR MAG ABOUT PUTTING ONE OF THOSE IN AN E JAG, since you're not trying to make a potentially winning sports car, your car is RIGHT ON!

I have a 1940 GMC powered Gp car that was the best American engine then and fit the FIA specs at 4.5 L unsupercharged. This country seems obsessed with winning but OZ and the UK have hoards of home builts that were both road and race cars, they regularly have events for these cars for the simple enjoyment of driving one's home built piece of art  like yours! Yours will be great fun to take to track days and shows!

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/4/23 11:55 p.m.
MichaelRogers said:

I have a 1940 GMC powered Gp car that was the best American engine then and fit the FIA specs at 4.5 L unsupercharged.

I'd like to see that

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/5/23 7:04 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
4/5/23 9:22 p.m.

Nice picture!

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/5/23 10:14 p.m.
NashGTI said:

I love this project, it's so rad! It would be a bit of a shame IMHO to hide that sheet metal with paint. Love seeing this project progress.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/9/23 10:41 p.m.

Trying out some white

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/10/23 10:51 a.m.

Showed this awesome build to a friend and he asked if your name was Wario

This thing rocks so hard

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/10/23 1:25 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Showed this awesome build to a friend and he asked if your name was Wario

This thing rocks so hard

Haha, no, the W is a sort of hand made version of an old Willys hood ornament. With the engine and rear axle both out of Jeeps from the Kaiser-Willys era of Jeep I thought it worked.  My last name though is Wright, so there is that tie in as well.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/14/23 7:37 p.m.

Glass

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
4/16/23 7:21 p.m.

https://youtu.be/LPBt2pfUmiI

Short drive today but probably the fastest I've had the car up to at around or a little over 50mph.  Sort of the first time it'd been out with the full body made but technically the second as there was a quick couple hundred yards done before this then brought it back to the parking lot to check the extreme looking wobble to the left front wheel.  Checking everything out it seems OK with nothing loose and the wheel not bent so I'm guessing it's the used wheel spacer I have on there  not being true.  

Engine was running lean again, which it was a little last time I drove it and that was several months ago so not a real shock there. I do have a slight oil leak left coming from the passenger side of the timing cover which is aggravating but it's at least better than it was before all the resealing.  Everything else is all good.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
5/21/23 7:35 p.m.

Emergency use lighting

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H9gYqWRcybOqlCs6k25DaHujEHUIQBmmXlTKD7GMDAKedLZZsYPx8BdwvsgcdaXs