ShermanTanker
ShermanTanker New Reader
10/16/22 1:28 p.m.

Background story on this build. 

3 years ago I setup an 8th gen for autocross and ended up selling which I ended up regretting. A few months ago I saw it for sale on FB. The kid wanted way to much but I contacted him. It turns out he wanted to slam it/stance/hellaflush...or whatever kids do now a days. 

Then out of left field he offered to give me all of my parts back in exchange for coilovers that could slam it....done.

Parts breakdown:

BC BR custom sprung and valved by redshift.     Progress rear swaybar.                                             Saebelt race seats and harnesses.                         Motegi wheels with new R888s.                             Invidia q300 exhaust.                                                Shift knob.                                                                  Hondata with the tune I had made for it.    

Now for the even more amazing part.. I traded a co worker my CT90 straight across for an 08 FA5.

Current status on the FA5:

The bad.....198k miles. Clear coat messed up, bumper cracked, world's most obnoxious exhaust, unknown intake, no power steering, 02 sensor CEL, rice-tastic headlights, owned by a ricer at one point with coinciding mods.

The good....mishimoto catch can, tuned on hondata with a 4200 crossover, excellent speakers and head unit, clean interior, evo 9 wheels included, new tires on both wheels with an extra set of blizaks.

Total monetary output.

$232.00 for coilover trade.                                        $500.00 for CT90 project. 

More to follow. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/22 2:39 p.m.

I wanted an 8th gen si but didn't want one that had been modified.   Obviously no luck with that.

Since it's primary purpose was as a daily, I bought a r18/5 speed coupe instead. Then a friend told me that he had a progress rear bar, koni sport shocks and a set of Enkie wheels for sale cheap. 

It works. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/22 3:09 p.m.

Dang, that's a massive score. Challenge?

ShermanTanker
ShermanTanker New Reader
10/16/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

I'd love to do the challenge...if I was not fabrication retarded. Maybe I'll do my own 2023 autocross challenge haha. 

ShermanTanker
ShermanTanker New Reader
10/16/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

That looks like a great setup!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/16/22 8:18 p.m.
ShermanTanker said:

In reply to Run_Away :

I'd love to do the challenge...if I was not fabrication retarded. Maybe I'll do my own 2023 autocross challenge haha. 

You could probably place top 10 with that as-is, no fabrication needed.

I'm no challenge expert, but it seems that bringing a reliable, even moderately quick car is a pretty damn good starting point.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/22 8:55 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
ShermanTanker said:

In reply to Run_Away :

You could probably place top 10 with that as-is, no fabrication needed.

I'm no challenge expert, but it seems that bringing a reliable, even moderately quick car is a pretty damn good starting point.

I have to agree with that. A competitive Challenge car doesn't have to be a re-engineered combination of multiple vehicles. This is a great Challenge starter kit.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/22 9:03 p.m.
ShermanTanker said:

In reply to Run_Away :

First show up with non fabricated car to Challenge and see how well you place.

Second look at the fabricated cars at the Challenge and realize how they aren't as scary as they seem.

Third look at us dumbass's that bring non stock cars and realize that you're probably smarter.

Fourth live the Challenge life.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/16/22 10:42 p.m.

yay another sedan Si owner. I think that makes 6 of us now 

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
10/17/22 12:00 a.m.

Currently autocrossing (today!) an 07 R18 5MT sedan. I'm pretty much the slowest car on the grid every month since the turbo cars hit H Stock, but I'm learning a lot with a relatively inexpensive car.

Currently Si-sized wheels and tires in 300TW, an Si-sized rear swaybar, Si seats, a 3" SS exhaust,  performance, pad and disc upgrade, and a performance air filter.

Next upgrades are 200TW tires on Si wheels and some front camber bolts. I'll still be the slowest on the grid, but I should drop a couple seconds doing so.

Biggest issue is the lack of an LSD. No need going for more HP without it.

And getting my 07 Si sedan project car on the road!

Here's the project car (red) with the engine donor.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/17/22 12:58 a.m.
78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
10/17/22 2:03 p.m.

My Si is a badly sunbleached Habanero Red Pearl. The clearcoat is gone from most horizontal surfaces, so it needs a full repaint. I'm thinking one of the many "destroyer gray" colors or even Honda's new gray pearl.

The crashed Si that I bought was white with black wheels and the paint was nearly perfect. I would have repaired it except I found creases in the body from the impact that totaled it.

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
10/17/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to ShermanTanker :

What class were you competing in in autocross with your Si sedan?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SIJlpalD9GDC966UBZKVw3Fy2dWB47x6yVVT1xPu7XXts7JGv7oNWNIkMLYT2mbK