1 2 3
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/31/20 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Underpowered :

Oh mine will definitely not be competitive, but if I'm there I might as well play some to. We'll have to try to park next to each other to make yours look better next to my rust bucket. 

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
3/31/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

i'd be game for that.  Though,  it would be rust bucket on rust bucket most likely.  

Found this Gent,  or more he found me, there last year.   Hot rod just did a small write up on this wagon.  

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/31/20 11:50 a.m.

I'm getting good at finding angles where shadows hide the sections of door skin flaking off.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/11/20 8:20 a.m.

build moves on to a new, and unexpected stage.

Picked up a parts car over the weekend.  complete, minus drivetrain.  it is a 1989 caprice classic.   Pretty well plan on a full interior swap, hood, and fender,  and rear bumper.   best part.....I GET A 3RD ROW SEAT!!!   the main part i have been looking for for a while now and the parts car has one.     so,  looks was kinda last on the list but with the new parts car it gets bumped up to next in line   (After i fix the clutch i destroyed in ol' Mexico a couple weeks back)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/11/20 8:38 a.m.

going to guess that the PS floor was the first one you bead rolled?

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/11/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

that would be a correct assumption 

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/11/20 12:56 p.m.

I might be interested in some of your leftovers from the '89. Namely the doors if you don't need them. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/20 1:22 p.m.

I went to college in a 77 Impala wagon (in the late 80s). Some great times that I can't share on a family-friendly forum. Mine had the 350 and I drove it like a NASCAR stocker despite having what, 110hp or so?  Can't imagine what 300+ hp would be like.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/11/20 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

i currently do not plan on swapping doors,  drivers front the outside door handle is busted and window is off track and has a hole (the window).  Other doors i haven't looked at too closely.

My current intention was to take the parts i am swapping off of mine, install them on this so it was a nearly complete roller again and simply re-sale the entire car again and end up with a bunch of cheap parts parts.  

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/11/20 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Underpowered :

Solid plan. Probably a lot easier than parting it.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
9/23/20 12:22 p.m.

visited LS fest again this year.  Car show only,  but man i really want to actually get in on the action next year.   Car is too slow for any drag racing classes really,  too cumbersome for AutoX,  To Heavy and long to drift, and too bad at everything to be a grand champion

That said,  i want to do Auto X as i think it would be more fun to do badly than drag racing will be.  At least i'll get to make multiple runs and not just be a one and done deal like drag racing will be.

so,  Poor Prepping the big girl for Auto X begins now.

For starters.  I already have bigger sway bars for it.  a Crown Vic 21mm rear bar.   pretty common upgrade for these cars.  They came in a few sizes and i lucked out and got the larger one for 15 bucks from the local u-pull place.   Hopefully it will be going on this weekend.   For the front, i have a 36MM bar from a 4th gen camaro SS.  Again, biggest factory option.  however, this car is only on loan until another project is done and needs it back.  then,  i guess i'll have to try to buy one somewhere.   Both should really tighten the car up a ton. 

More power is not on tap any time soon,  though i hear talks of a possible stroker motor build in a year or so wink,  but for now,  the old 6.0 will have to do the best it can.

the car stops decently for what it is,  but research says the brakes only like a hard stop once or twice, after they they heat soak and go down hill.  On that front,  using the factory bumper vents,  gonna be adding some brake ducts and see if i can fight the fade with a little fresh air.

SixSpeed9C1
SixSpeed9C1
4/9/21 6:02 p.m.

Sick build!!

I'm in the process of putting a T56 into my 87 9C1 Caprice. Its Still got the L05 350 with a quadrajet, but some fast burn heads and mild cam help keep it fun to drive. The 700R4 has a nasty 2-3 shift flare, so its time to go. 

Im curious about your experience with the 4.10's, did you mention they were too short? If you could do it agian what ratio would you go with? 3.73s?

I've already got the 3 pedals setup with hydraulics in the car, I just need to drop the 700R4 and swap it with the T56. I do need to figure out the crossmember, wish I could find something more affordable than 3 pedals $600 solution.....

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
8/30/21 12:18 p.m.

In reply to SixSpeed9C1 :

I'd likely go 3.90's if I were to do it again.   4.10 is great if I am sticking with a 28" tire but there are many more options in a 26" tire on larger wheels,  at that point the 4 10s will make first gear nearly pointless.  

For the crossmember,  building one is not that difficult in my opinion.  

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
8/30/21 12:24 p.m.

Back at it.  This time it's all about comfort.   We'll,  mostly about comfort.     Air conditioning, sound deadening,  and fresh carpet!   Plus head gaskets and a better intake for fun.   

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
8/30/21 12:26 p.m.

Can't forget the classic auto air install and TBSS intake.   New seats, shifter boot, and knob are on the coming soon List.   

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9xbs1MXq2mTdkd1Da5bPkT412elED3nNZvceP4CLRdvUWgDJhhCKhiZUOx1hR6f