Bump.

Any updates to share ?

275nart
275nart Reader
12/10/21 1:51 p.m.
Barely Functional- Missing our Beloved Donebrokeit - Cougar Guy said:

Bump.

Any updates to share ?

Yes, actually,  I was busy building my 2jz swapped 240sx.  I am also in the process of 2jz swapping a 280z 

As for the 275 I had been fiddling trying to break down the computer model down into sections to make the buck to no avail the last few months.  I pretty much gave up.  Good news is I found a Russian guy who was able to do exactly what I needed with the computer model i had already . https://www.facebook.com/RustinhoPRO/ He did an excellent job for a very reasonable price and included thorough instructions.  Since I am building a wireframe buck I will do things a bit differently than the other car bucks you see on his site, but I will be printing the 2d sections on paper and then transferring to masonite to make a temporary buck while I weld the wire in place and work on areas like the shut lines.   Here are a couple photos of what he did for me:

I will start building the buck the week before Christmas

golfduke
golfduke Dork
12/10/21 2:28 p.m.

saved for future reading tonight! 

275nart
275nart Reader
2/17/22 6:00 p.m.

I have the hood and left side bucks made.  Remember I am only using these as a jig to hold the wire while I weld it all together, then I will remove the wire frame structure and weld/bolt it on to the car.  Bending the wire is turning out to be a very tedious process but it's great to see it coming along.  So far I have just done about 1/4 of the left side, with the wheel arch being very difficult to bend in 3d space and get a nice smooth gradual curve.  After I finish the wire form for the left side I will deconstruct the buck and flip the sections to create the right side, then repeat the process for the right side. 

I am going to have to fudge the trunk area since I was working from a coupe 3d model and I'm making a spyder but I will worry about that when the sections I am making are in place on the car.  It seems like there is some variation in how each nart spyder was created and how "cut cars" had the trunk and rear arches fabricated as well so I don't think there's a perfect way to do it or perfect example.  Pictures will be my main reference there.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/17/22 7:28 p.m.

Welcome back. Been searching the web to see if you had moved the build to a different forum.

The door-skin that used to live on the passenger side door of your project says  "Hello" from its new home on the Molvo.laugh 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/22 12:06 a.m.

Wow, amazing! Except I cried a little watching you carve up that 1800. crying Any chance you weighed the Dana 30 axle and the 8.8? I want to also put one in my 1800, except I will put poly bushings in it. I drew a side view drawing of the rear suspension with one side in droop and the other in extension and the thing looks like it will bind up pretty bad without bushing that can give. Except that after the last computer crash, the drawing is corrupted and useless so I can't share. Have you articulated the rear axle throughout it's travel?

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/22 8:42 a.m.

I have nothing to contribute other than to express amazement that there are craftsmen of your skill level left in the world.  The scope and commitment of this project is truly impressive.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/18/22 8:51 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Oh... I know of quite a few purists who would cry at what you've done to your 1800, so I suppose it's a matter of perspective.  The way I see it, Volvo made a lot of 1800s and if someone wants an all original example, they aren't hard to find.  One of my crazy pipe-dreams is to build a folding hardtop convertible out of an 1800E.  I'm sure that would garner some hate from the 1800 community. 

VolvoHeretic
2/18/22 11:56 a.m.

Yep, I got run out of the 1800 club. Probably hardly anybody will be able to figure out that there is a Volvo under there. smiley I don't know how the exhaust pulses enter those 4 exhaust manifolds, but nothing sounds as nice as a straight 6 with true dual exhaust. I have 2 tiny cheap turbo mufflers at the rear which never sounded right until the hanger bracket bolt unscrewed on the highway and they drug on the pavement for a 100 feet or so and ground the back corners off a little. Then it was perfect. I wonder how that Jag would sound with true quad exhaust and 4 cherry bombs out back. Quad triples. smiley

275nart
275nart Reader
2/21/22 9:14 a.m.

It looks awesome!!!  I'm thinking the door structure and skins will be the first body panels I tackle.  

NOHOME said:

Welcome back. Been searching the web to see if you had moved the build to a different forum.

The door-skin that used to live on the passenger side door of your project says  "Hello" from its new home on the Molvo.laugh 

275nart
275nart Reader
2/21/22 9:19 a.m.

I'm going to be running the car on a more modern EFI.  I haven't decided on proefi, haltech, megasquirt etc. or whether it will be batch fire or full sequential fuel and spark.  The plan is to build stainless exhaust manifolds and an intake plenum (or plenums, haven't decided!).  I know that letting these engines breathe really frees up some ponies too.  As for the car, I do feel a tad guilty about doing this to it, but I paid next to nothing for it and the original state was pretty dire... 

VolvoHeretic said:

Yep, I got run out of the 1800 club. Probably hardly anybody will be able to figure out that there is a Volvo under there. smiley I don't know how the exhaust pulses enter those 4 exhaust manifolds, but nothing sounds as nice as a straight 6 with true dual exhaust. I have 2 tiny cheap turbo mufflers at the rear which never sounded right until the hanger bracket bolt unscrewed on the highway and they drug on the pavement for a 100 feet or so and ground the back corners off a little. Then it was perfect. I wonder how that Jag would sound with true quad exhaust and 4 cherry bombs out back. Quad triples. smiley

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/21/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to 275nart :

1800 purists can be an odd bunch.  They won't touch a car with any rust on it, but will then cry about someone saving a car from the crusher but not restoring it to original condition.   None of this has been helped by the values of these cars sky-rocketing in recent years, thus making cars that were have been parted out a few years ago now worth restoring.

275nart
275nart Reader
2/24/22 5:08 p.m.

Left side done

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/24/22 6:22 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 275nart :

1800 purists can be an odd bunch.  They won't touch a car with any rust on it, but will then cry about someone saving a car from the crusher but not restoring it to original condition.   None of this has been helped by the values of these cars sky-rocketing in recent years, thus making cars that were have been parted out a few years ago now worth restoring.

Did you happen to catch this BAT sale? The builder posted here a few times as he was working on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-volvo-p1800-7/

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I remember watching the Smoking Tire feature on that car. It was a huge inspiration for my Ecotec swap. I won't ever reach that level of refinement, though.

Despite not being a purist's 1800, somebody thought it was worth over $100k.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/24/22 6:55 p.m.

The wire form is stunning just by itself. So cool. 

275nart
275nart Reader
4/22/22 10:15 a.m.

The hood and opposite side wire form are now done.  I ended up shortening the sides approximately 2" for the wheelbase to match the body as well as massaging the rear quarters to look closer to photos.  Visually it looks correct after a quick photoshop job too.  I have to just assume the 3d model I have been working with was a tad out of scale.  Unfortunately the 3d printed parts are quite fragile and I need to reinforce the insides before I crack any more pieces off...  After that I can begin hard mounting everything on the chassis.  The plan is to have it all be bolt on for ease of removal as needed for working on specific sections. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/22/22 12:32 p.m.

In reply to 275nart :

So, are you attaching the skins to your wire forms, or just using them to build panels?

275nart
275nart Reader
4/22/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I haven't quite decided on that.  If I plan to actually attach the panels to the wire form I will have to make some changes to better reinforce them around the edges and to remove a lot of the ribbing.  

VolvoHeretic
4/22/22 8:37 p.m.

Drape red tinted clear poly plastic over the ribs just like your photoshop photo. smiley

275nart
275nart Reader
4/25/22 10:21 a.m.

Mocking up the rear 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
4/25/22 10:26 a.m.

Looks great! Nice to see updates

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/25/22 12:43 p.m.

That is so taking shape! 

I think your genius was recognizing that the windshield shape and rake was perfect for the desired body style. 

275nart
275nart Reader
4/26/22 12:29 p.m.

Thanks Pete!  I do think it's pretty close.  The ferrari windshield does have a little more bubble to it than the volvo but the perimiter and rake are very similar like you mentioned.  The best part is the door glass and vent windows are super close.  I think after removing the drip rail and rounding the top corners of the windshield frame it will look even better. 

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
4/28/22 12:01 a.m.

Agree - looking great and was happy to see updates. I kept refreshing the page hoping for more visual candy and finally some arrived. Looking forward to the progress. 

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a3dlftOGpV6voTjTczzxMSHLLgRMp30qFIixR4rPKXdKmHMIfLgi8PH08sByZySF