BlackSweeper
BlackSweeper New Reader
1/10/17 7:16 p.m.

I have a Pro level Spec Miata. I am looking to try Rallycross I was looking for a Rally car(you may have seen my WTB ad). So I am about to pull the trigger on installing the Flying Miata 3"lift kit, and getting relatively cheap snow tires to put on my spare wheels. The lift kit effectively is just a spacer that goes between the chassis shock mount and the shock. So there are no changes made to the cars alignment or coilovers- IE no change in setup. Remove the spacers and you are ready for the Track again. I am sure I am not the fist to do this. If I bought a cheap car I would need to put in a race seat, harness and roll bar at least The SM already has all the safety gear. I would have to be careful not to bend anything. Try to protect the nice paint it has and clean the dirt out of the car regularly. Sound like a quick cheap way to have a single car for track + Rally cross? https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html Thanks

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
1/10/17 8:39 p.m.

My suggestion, don't bother with the lift kit and just increase your ride heights an inch. I can see the appeal in the bolt-on lift kit for not mucking around with your spring perches, but low is actually pretty darn good for RallyCross (use the ruts like train tracks without worrying about flipping).

Stiff suspension actually works for RallyCross. I'm not sure if it's the fastest way around a field, but my codriver and I did pretty well at Nationals considering we spun our first wet runs. Spec Miata spring rates are fine. Full swaybars are also fine, but I'd consider disconnecting the rear.

Get coil spring bags!! These'll help keep dirt and dust out of your shocks. You want them.

You don't need a roll cage or race seat for RallyCross, but a complete safety system is never a bad thing for your peace of mind. I'd double-dip track and dirt if I had a Spec Miata too!!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/10/17 8:46 p.m.

I would worry it will wreck your shocks. I thought road race shocks and rally setups were very different. I recall someone from Koni saying specifically not to use yellows in a rallyx environment as they wouldn't last very long.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
1/10/17 9:19 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I would worry it will wreck your shocks. I thought road race shocks and rally setups were very different. I recall someone from Koni saying specifically *not* to use yellows in a rallyx environment as they wouldn't last very long.

RallyCross is much smoother than true Rally. Then again, imagine the wear from going 4-off all day long at your favorite track. Also.... my shocks are all blown now, so I can't exactly say much.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SxipAPMgNrM68uFj2czMKyriUfiLohTxTbqUhIknGYGvjk3RglkTx2D6qd03badk