1 2 3 4 5
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I met this really old but fit man from my Mercedes dealings. He would drive to Riverside from Santa Barbara to come talk to me and fiddle with Mercedes. And he would tell me about all these Indiana Jones like adventures, I thought he was just talking noise like some old folks do. He especially loved talking about orchids and other flowers, eventually he told me he'll bring his book by next time he's over. I Googled that old man one day and he was Lance Birk. I wouldn't of known if he told me who he was anyway but just reading his life work and passion and reading those stories he told me online. Eventually he came back and gave me a signed version of his book and a rare orchid (I gave it to my coworker as a mother's day present).

Awesome guy, I should call him someday. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/1/20 7:30 p.m.
yupididit said:

I met this really old but fit man from my Mercedes dealings. He would drive to Riverside from Santa Barbara to come talk to me and fiddle with Mercedes. And he would tell me about all these Indiana Jones like adventures, I thought he was just talking noise like some old folks do. He especially loved talking about orchids and other flowers, eventually he told me he'll bring his book by next time he's over. I Googled that old man one day and he was Lance Birk. I wouldn't of known if he told me who he was anyway but just reading his life work and passion and reading those stories he told me online. Eventually he came back and gave me a signed version of his book and a rare orchid (I gave it to my coworker as a mother's day present).

Awesome guy, I should call him someday. 

THAT is awesome! Literally the same story that happened to me today. Except you guys in your cheeky baller Benzitos, and we commoners in our lowly Toyotas 

yupididit
12/1/20 8:35 p.m.

Lol I've never paid more than $2014 for a Mercedes Sir. You can't say that for about a LC or FJ60. 

But yeah it was awesome. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/1/20 8:56 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Good story. Good humans . Cheers. Life is good. 

smiley

yupididit
12/2/20 3:48 a.m.

I agree but I need to get back to Cali soon lol

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/5/20 1:49 p.m.

Yay new tires for her are her 

yes completely unnecessary 

31 inch  ko2 

yupididit
12/5/20 1:55 p.m.

Unnecessarily necessary. I'm loving this hipster project lol

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/5/20 4:35 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Gotta stay true to hipster !!! 

was out with Toprank import owner and hoonigan autofocus today. You would have been proud 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/14/20 8:24 p.m.

New tires installed 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/20 7:23 a.m.

And no flannel seat covers?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 9:55 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

And no flannel seat covers?

lol.

None needed. Original interior is pretty hipster minty fresh (seat tear has been fixed in 2nd

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 6:44 p.m.

Drive wife’s car for a while today 

God it’s so tight 

Perfect 

Low miles 

car feels like it’s lived such a Pampered life — so nice 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 6:56 p.m.

NIce job finding one so clean. I know several people with these, but they are a constant battle keeping the rust away (and I'm in Virginia, not the rust-belt), and even the rusty ones are going for ridiculous prices these days. It's been interesting seeing the Toyotas getting so up there in price, that now the other 80s trucks (like Gen1 Monteros, for instance) are really starting to shoot up in value as well. The guy I bought mine from for $1000 2 years ago (with a blown motor) actually messaged me to see if I would sell it back to him for quite a bit more than that. I don't think he realized I had already rebuilt the whole thing haha, told him he'd need to quadruple that offer now ;) Everyone wants the square old-school SUVs now. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/20 8:35 p.m.

Please clean the blue off the white letters on the new tires.  It's bugging the heck out of me!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 8:43 p.m.
APEowner said:

Please clean the blue off the white letters on the new tires.  It's bugging the heck out of me!

Wife mentioned the same thing! 

tires have been on for less than 3 hours - so didn't get a chance. But will do this weekend :) 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 8:46 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

NIce job finding one so clean. I know several people with these, but they are a constant battle keeping the rust away (and I'm in Virginia, not the rust-belt), and even the rusty ones are going for ridiculous prices these days. It's been interesting seeing the Toyotas getting so up there in price, that now the other 80s trucks (like Gen1 Monteros, for instance) are really starting to shoot up in value as well. The guy I bought mine from for $1000 2 years ago (with a blown motor) actually messaged me to see if I would sell it back to him for quite a bit more than that. I don't think he realized I had already rebuilt the whole thing haha, told him he'd need to quadruple that offer now ;) Everyone wants the square old-school SUVs now. 

Thanks brother . Yeah prices are so high these days people around here are squirreling them away. Not to mention all over Sf/Portland/seattle they are constantly being stolen (all over Ih8mud forum - threads about them getting stolen). 

Yeah people are now buying xterra, slx, troopers who don't want to pay toyota tax. I have a first gen Montero (we had one new actually) that I am picking up 12/27 in Phoenix along with a 2 door Isuzu trooper. Both will be BAT flips for me 

12/15/20 9:25 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Thanks brother . Yeah prices are so high these days people around here are squirreling them away. Not to mention all over Sf/Portland/seattle they are constantly being stolen (all over Ih8mud forum - threads about them getting stolen). 

Yeah people are now buying xterra, slx, troopers who don't want to pay toyota tax. I have a first gen Montero (we had one new actually) that I am picking up 12/27 in Phoenix along with a 2 door Isuzu trooper. Both will be BAT flips for me 

There's a 2-door Trooper in really nice shape for sale locally for cheap (DC area). I just don't have space to stash or work on flip vehicles. My own fleet is already taking up too much space lol. 

Yeah, seems like everything gets stolen in the PNW. Hell, two competition stage rally cars got stolen last year! Not really an issue in my area, but I'm still considering putting a hidden kill switch in someplace. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Theft not an issue for me. Addition to two property, I have a 20 car warehouse I store everything in. Additionally all are stated value insurance at very high value, so if thief steals it , I make out the same as I do on BAT 

feel free to buy and send cars my way. I pay a very high finders fee 

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
12/15/20 10:42 p.m.

WOW i only usually look at the domestic side of things, but this thing couldn't really be defined as a "project"... it is beautiful!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 11:04 p.m.
Dieselboss15 said:

WOW i only usually look at the domestic side of things, but this thing couldn't really be defined as a "project"... it is beautiful!

Thanks for the kind words :)

never owned anything domestic ... maybe someday a purple 96 Impala ss will grace  the driveway .... 

if you want to see my other land cruiser project it's also on here - doing heavy body work and rust repair now ... 

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
12/15/20 11:07 p.m.

yup i'm about to take a look at it... 

12/16/20 7:48 p.m.

btw, it's on the wrong side of the country, but if for some reason you want another 2-door Trooper to do some flipping on, here's one that's been local for sale for a while....looks to be complete both inside and out.

marketplace link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2871260703092785/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Image may contain: tree, sky, car and outdoor

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
1/7/21 5:45 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

That's a beauty 

missed the post 

been super busy 

wifes getting all little dents out 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
1/25/21 6:01 p.m.