I'm in awe.

ihayes
ihayes New Reader
8/17/14 10:27 p.m.

Amazing!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/14 12:26 a.m.

I'm loving this, thanks so much for sharing.

Out of curiosity, how much time did it take you do duplicate that isolator for the fuel pump, for example?

And you know you've ruined the car for the purists with that voltage regulator. The charm of imminent failure carried in the old one is gone

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
8/18/14 12:57 a.m.

I probably had an hour in it to replicate that part. Probably 3 hours total in the total fuel pump recondition.

Of course a week after I did it I found a company that has those blocks CNC'ed out and can get them to me for $55 within a week. shrug.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/18/14 1:29 p.m.

wonderful work... continued great attention to detail.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/25/14 12:32 a.m.

In reply to Ditchdigger:

These little details are cool beyond words. This thread is GOLD.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/14 9:52 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'm in awe.

Me too.

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
8/25/14 11:12 a.m.

This thread rules. Love the car, and am incredibly impressed with the work going on here. Subscribed!

fardin01
fardin01
2/1/16 4:23 a.m.

Any progress? I really want to know how it ended up

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/1/16 8:59 a.m.

Curious what you learned the hard way about the soda blasting?

I am aware of the risk of not getting all of it out of the nooks and crannies before paint, but are there other issues?

As to the previous bodywork on that car, I tinker with metal-shaping and bodywork, and honestly think I could do a better job than what has been done to that car.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/16 11:02 a.m.

Loved this thread 18 months ago, loved it again today.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
2/1/16 2:24 p.m.

Man! I neglected this thread.

You know how the last 10% takes 90% of the time? That was definitely the case with this one. We finished the car last summer in time for it to be shown at the Quail in Monterey. There have to be some glamour shots of the car somewhere that I can't seem to locate right now.

photo IMG_7223_zpswdrpsrzk.jpg  photo IMG_7222_zpsevdxa8x3.jpg

photo IMG_7221_zpsv7mzkuys.jpg

The judges in Monterey told us that it was the nicest prepared GTE they had ever seen, but next to other more exciting vintage Ferrari models it seemed to go unnoticed by the bulk of the crowd.

The silver on red color combo was gorgeous. The exhaust note was spectacular. It was a good driving car too. It felt much more modern than its year would have you believe. An early 60's E type feels heavy and relatively truck like by modern standards, this felt like a real sports car.

The owner drives it regularly and I have had to make a few adjustments here and there for her. Last time I saw it the front end was filthy with bugs. That put a huge smile on my face.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
2/1/16 2:27 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Curious what you learned the hard way about the soda blasting?

I honestly don't think there is any way to every be fully rid of it. When the car came back from the blasters I steam pressure washed it for over an hour. The whole time I was performing the metal work it was still raining down on me. Even after seam sealing and paint it was still coming out of places I wouldn't expect.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/1/16 2:55 p.m.

Wow

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/1/16 4:12 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Curious what you learned the hard way about the soda blasting?
I honestly don't think there is any way to every be fully rid of it. When the car came back from the blasters I steam pressure washed it for over an hour. The whole time I was performing the metal work it was still raining down on me. Even after seam sealing and paint it was still coming out of places I wouldn't expect.

Sand is no better I swear some days as I spin the Molvo on the rotisserie that I am building an hourglass.

Have dipped the tub in the past and that has its drawbacks also.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/16 7:13 p.m.

If I guessed the resto work cost $120k, would I be in the ballpark?

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
2/1/16 7:27 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: If I guessed the resto work cost $120k, would I be in the ballpark?

Quite a bit more than that. perhaps double.

Engine was very expensive. The Connolly hides were absurdly expensive. Paint was over 30 IIRC. Lots and lots of labor. Ferrari parts are EXPENSIVE! The chrome plating bill was heart attack level shocking. Just the restoration of the marchal headlights was probably over a grand.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
2/1/16 10:44 p.m.

Perfect example of how to estimate expense and how long it will take when it comes to resto work. Give it your best guess - then double the $ and triple the time. Works every time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/16 2:11 p.m.

Just got caught up in this thread...man it turned out looking factory-fresh! And I mean that in a good way

I hope the owner is going to take it to concours after all the work you put into making it look original, even where nobody will ever see it. I would've wanted to replace that fuel pump with a modern one and chuck that whole archaic fuse panel

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/11/16 8:36 a.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oIr4UL4v6laz7gIEwkjwiSux3TkZwiG90oczMyrL675kKeKiPqaxTLI9K4G8hBI1