edit: Beautiful!

Thank you!!! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:12 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

My guess was close lol Very nice!

Thanks!!! 

I wasn't trying to keep anyone guessing. Just wanted to share my pain that I know you all car enthusiasts can relate to. 

So I don't have to hear from my extended family " You could have just bought a new BMW"

UGH

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:14 p.m.
Slippery said:

Very cool!

I know the twin to that car. Owned by a doctor in his 70s bought new, really low miles. Sits in the garage next to his wife w124 wagon. 

Well sounds like not only you know the TWIN to the car, you know the TWIN to the ex owner. Maybe this car attracted a certain demographic at that time?  This is the same. Really low miles. 67 year old. Garaged next to a E63 AMG wagon (wife) and a Sienna Limited (when grandkids visit).

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:15 p.m.
yupididit said:

What the berkeley lol

Hey not all of us hottie partners to share IG pics of ;)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/8/22 3:16 p.m.

It all makes sense. That car attracts E36 M3heads. It was also a dream car. The guy waffled about selling it because it is a car he loves. Didn'twant it going to bad hands. Maybe finances dictated the sale. Maybe his wife hated it, who knows? But their actions, extreme as they were, well, I can understand.

You should send Christmas cards featuring the car, just to let him know you are taking care of it. It would be a nice thing to do.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:27 p.m.
Appleseed said:

It all makes sense. That car attracts E36 M3heads. It was also a dream car. The guy waffled about selling it because it is a car he loves. Didn'twant it going to bad hands. Maybe finances dictated the sale. Maybe his wife hated it, who knows? But their actions, extreme as they were, well, I can understand.

You should send Christmas cards featuring the car, just to let him know you are taking care of it. It would be a nice thing to do.

I agree. Once I was home, I sent him a pic of my excited kids standing next to the wing and the other one checking oil (none was burned in the 1250 miles home).   

This isn't a flip car for me. It will sit next to the ELise and MR2 in the garage at home, and not in the warehouse. It will be used as intended, enjoyed, maintained.  I may not be able to keep it perfect like him, but that is life. 

He said he was very happy to see my family - and someone who will appreciate it. 

It was a very tough experience, but to me it was worth it. Sure I can buy a CTR or whatever else (big hondafanboi) for the money, and this is old, doesn't have carplay, brand cachet, or whatever the people say. But it speaks to me. I am enjoying it much more than the 11Si or the MS3 and I hope to cherish it as all. 

As I told him, if he is down in CA - I have a guest room anytime, and he is welcome to drive the car as well.  

They are an elderly couple - who is lonely. Suspicious of the outside world. I am not sure if finances had much to do with it, I am not sure. Health etc also I imagine played a role.   Reminded me of a friend who bought a C2 Vette recently mid 6 figures from Toronto -- and dealt with a "I know what I have get off my lawn type person."

As someone who genuinely loves cars - I can see his emotional attachment to it. I appreciate it as well. 

Xmas gift will be a surety with a photo of the car. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:35 p.m.

EMISSION SAGA CONTINUED

I spoke to the shop owner, and said your tech said car is illegal. I posted and searched MITSU forum, and they all have the same thing. He said bring it in, have another tech look at it. 

This morning, I go in, the other tech who does my MR2 - looks at it, says "Bring back at lunch, will take 10 min - no problem"

I come home. Owner calls me 15 min later. Sorry my tech is wrong. We talked to CA CHP this is illegal car. You have go to CHP and referree to BAR it. 

I talked to my friend who owns a few smog shops in San Diego - he says the techs are moron. Bring it here and I will pass it. Of course driving 3 hours to do this crazy - for a BONE STOCK immac car. 

I will try another emission/smog place in about 2 hours. Wish me luck.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/8/22 4:15 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
yupididit said:

What the berkeley lol

LoL I applaud your patience. I've been looking for Evos. As an ex-evo owner I can't bring myself to buy these used ones lol. The guy across the street has one with a two tone paint with a body kit. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/22 4:22 p.m.
Appleseed said:

This car better come with a hooker and a key of blow.

I was fully prepared to drop him off in downtown Portland to get all of that. I'm still surprised that's not how the weekend went. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/8/22 4:31 p.m.

Love the car, it's one of my favorites.

So the lesson here is to be the biggest PITA when selling a car to get the best buyer???

Or is this a case of, I will be such an ass no one will buy it then I'll have my way.

Javelin
11/8/22 4:32 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

You have to change your name to mr2s2000evo now.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 4:48 p.m.

REGISTRATION saga: - bad news 

you guys wont believe this

$500 paid 

car is fighting me all the way 

VIN of car has to be verified.

AAA employee doesnt go outside in rain. 

I have to come back when it is sunny 

Cant make this up 

car is fighting me all the way

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 4:49 p.m.
Javelin said:

Current fleet is 17 cars and 9 bikes

name change will

be ridiculous 

Javelin
11/8/22 4:50 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Javelin said:

name change will

be ridiculous 

I haven't owned a Javelin in 7 years. I could probably get by with "Porsche+Audi" or "Insert random German car" these days. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/22 5:01 p.m.

Dude, I'll echo everyone else about your impressive patience. The sellers are berkeleying crazy people and you stuck it out. 

Also that rain storm dropped a record amount of water here in Portland. Excellent timing for you, haha. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/22 5:07 p.m.

Congrats. That looks like a hell of a creampuff.

I'm impressed by your will to stick it out. It was probably worth it though.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:29 p.m.
yupididit said:
mr2s2000elise said:
yupididit said:

What the berkeley lol

LoL I applaud your patience. I've been looking for Evos. As an ex-evo owner I can't bring myself to buy these used ones lol. The guy across the street has one with a two tone paint with a body kit. 

Thank you! Yeah two tone body kit is what I was trying to stay away from. I could find 30 for sale in a 10 mile radius if I lowered my standards :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:29 p.m.
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

This car better come with a hooker and a key of blow.

I was fully prepared to drop him off in downtown Portland to get all of that. I'm still surprised that's not how the weekend went. 

Maybe Lamar Odom's gods didn't want me fornicating with nasty PDX hookers devil

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:30 p.m.
Javelin said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Javelin said:

name change will

be ridiculous 

I haven't owned a Javelin in 7 years. I could probably get by with "Porsche+Audi" or "Insert random German car" these days. 

True true!! But then I would have to update my contact info on my phone from Javelin to something else. Not worth it LOL

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:31 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Love the car, it's one of my favorites.

So the lesson here is to be the biggest PITA when selling a car to get the best buyer???

Or is this a case of, I will be such an ass no one will buy it then I'll have my way.

Thank you! Car is great (so far). 

Definitely didn't want to sell. but usually when people do that - its crazy price or what not. He just made me life extremeley difficult. But he did keep his words. Showed me all the emails of people offering more than me, and having trailer, will come get it etc etc. 

I don't know what hte lesson is - except the fact that I am probably an idiot for going through the hoops.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:33 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Dude, I'll echo everyone else about your impressive patience. The sellers are berkeleying crazy people and you stuck it out. 

Also that rain storm dropped a record amount of water here in Portland. Excellent timing for you, haha. 

Thank you. Interestingly the Portland people actually go to work IN THE RAIN! What a concept.

Sadly looks like I brought rain with me!!!!

It is light drizzle here (see my registration saga above) - they won't come outside to look at VIN on the door - due to the slight rain. 

I even said "as we are talking rain almost stopped. Can I bring an umbrella for you. She called her supervisor who said "AAA employees can't go out in the rain"

WOW

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:34 p.m.
iansane said:

Congrats. That looks like a hell of a creampuff.

I'm impressed by your will to stick it out. It was probably worth it though.

Thank you. Definitely a creampuff. Almost like having an old new car, if that makes sense. He told me I was the first person to ever rolll the windows down. Crazy. 

I think it was worth it - most others probably won't :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 5:52 p.m.

Production numbers - 1 year only.

2006-Evo 9 (TOTAL 4176)

MR-3667

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/8/22 5:56 p.m.

With all you been thru sofar it's very similar to filling for unemployment in Alabama when living in another state. We need photo ID of the back of your driver's license and your social......fraud ya know.....sheeesh

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/22 6:27 p.m.

Ha yeah. Don't think much would get done if we stayed indoors when it rained. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ezfaTVvCGgtxABNJg0ZvPKqGpjhUb8RuCP762IJZ18oGACijLuOrbvDmF84o0YFo