1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/22 6:36 p.m.

Great story. I hope my folks are that cautious about online transactions!

With so many "car for sale" sites so full of scammers, I respect the hoops they made you jump through. Especially parking it across the street. 

Irritating for sure.. but I get it. Congrats.

...I was suspecting after all the BS that you would say you intend to send them a link to the BAT auction. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 6:38 p.m.
759NRNG said:

With all you been thru sofar it's very similar to filling for unemployment in Alabama when living in another state. We need photo ID of the back of your driver's license and your social......fraud ya know.....sheeesh

Haha - one of the best posts on this thread. Its so painful - that it is funny. Thank you, my friend.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 6:39 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Ha yeah. Don't think much would get done if we stayed indoors when it rained. 

Don't tell that to the Californians down here!!!  I wonder how all the AAA officials will go home tonight. Drizzle is supposed to continue till 8pm!

There were 13 people at the windows. 

2 customers. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/8/22 6:42 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
759NRNG said:

With all you been thru sofar it's very similar to filling for unemployment in Alabama when living in another state. We need photo ID of the back of your driver's license and your social......fraud ya know.....sheeesh

Haha - one of the best posts on this thread. Its so painful - that it is funny. Thank you, my friend.

As pathetic as it is I had to jump thru that berkin flamin' hoop.....uh er you're welcome

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 6:42 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Great story. I hope my folks are that cautious about online transactions!

With so many "car for sale" sites so full of scammers, I respect the hoops they made you jump through. Especially parking it across the street. 

Irritating for sure.. but I get it. Congrats.

...I was suspecting after all the BS that you would say you intend to send them a link to the BAT auction. 

100% agree about online transactions. Too much fraud. But to suggest I am friends with local Wells Fargo people, and we are all trying to defraud them is a bit much. There were many instances, where I wanted to walk away - but I held through - not sure why. 

Few of my friends told me to just list it on BaT. I like the car, more than the 20K profit I can make it today. 

I am not trying to be spiteful towards them. I sympathize a lot. I have elderly parents as well who also have been scammed <$3,000 a few years ago. 

But many of the things that were done were way over the top etc. 

But that is in the rear view mirror. Now if CA will let me emission test and register - I can finally enjoy the car.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/22 6:50 p.m.
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

This car better come with a hooker and a key of blow.

I was fully prepared to drop him off in downtown Portland to get all of that. I'm still surprised that's not how the weekend went. 

He has access to better stuff in LA if he is so inclined :p.

11/8/22 6:58 p.m.

You bought a rally car and didn't even tell me....  I thought we were friends after the whole garage thing :p.

Congrats and great buy!  I've looked at those too, but I'd be scared to rallycross that one.  It's too nice.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 7:02 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

I was fully prepared to drop him off in downtown Portland to get all of that. I'm still surprised that's not how the weekend went. 

After buying this - I can't afford any. Maybe I need to get some Mississippi hookers. LOL

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 7:03 p.m.

You bought a rally car and didn't even tell me....  I thought we were friends after the whole garage thing :p.

Congrats and great buy!  I've looked at those too, but I'd be scared to rallycross that one.  It's too nice.

I couldn't tell you. For the total you made me spent on the garage, I could have have ANOTHER EVO!  devil

Thus I knew, if I told you - your enabling would make me spend a lot more money! Hah . surprise

Thanks! Nothing is too nice. Once registered, gets the T Belt and all new fluids  - it is heading out to the track. heart

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/8/22 7:03 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

After buying this - I can't afford any. Maybe I need to get some Mississippi hookers. LOL

They say no teeth...

11/8/22 7:10 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Javelin said:
Appleseed said:

Hard pass on that.  Now if you come here for food, I can help with southern, soul, BBQ, steak, shrimp, or redfish.  

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
11/8/22 7:32 p.m.

Wow what a frustrating story but a beautiful car. I love that gen of EVO and it looks like you got an exceptional example 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/8/22 7:57 p.m.

Oh man, glad you got the car and glad I found this after the story was written to not have to wait!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/22 7:58 p.m.

I was waiting for the title to be all tied up. No lien?

A dealer can verify the VIN, I believe. Don't need AAA for that. I've had it done by the DMV as well.

The work you spent to get this car is the cost of getting it for the price you did.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/8/22 7:59 p.m.

Nice car and I admire your patience. I'm not sure I would have had it in me. I probably would have needed to have my father talk the guy down. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/8/22 8:14 p.m.

He never rolled down the windows?  Wow

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I was waiting for the title to be all tied up. No lien?

A dealer can verify the VIN, I believe. Don't need AAA for that. I've had it done by the DMV as well.

The work you spent to get this car is the cost of getting it for the price you did.

Nope no lien. lien has been paid off, HOWEVER, after paid off, they never applied for a new title - thus it showed previous lien.

In CA, there are 4 types of VIN verify, nowadays:

1) CHP - terrible to get appt (months)

2) DMV - YUCK. 5 hour wait

3) AAA - no wait. This can ONLY be done on personal car purchase. When I buy from dealer out of state, this is not an option.

4) Private ones certified by CHP. This is who I use. Guy comes to my house, does 5 cars at a time, and leaves. 

Given it was one car, I just got home - and AAA is minutes from my house , no one ever there, figured it was in and out quickly.  Oh well live and learn. 

You are 100% right - the deal I got was basically repaid back in my time/efforts/headache. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:22 p.m.

Hard pass on that.  Now if you come here for food, I can help with southern, soul, BBQ, steak, shrimp, or redfish.  

Definitely hoping to visit and grab some delicious food with you, my friend! My treat - for all the help you provided on the other project. I owe you.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:23 p.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

Wow what a frustrating story but a beautiful car. I love that gen of EVO and it looks like you got an exceptional example 

Thank you very much. USDM ones - I like the 8/9 best, design wise. It is a great example and I am glad I was able to make it happen.   Some people dream about the Evo. For me, was never my thing, but now that I have it, I certainly get it, and enjoying and cherishing it. Have had too many Subies over the years (DL wagon, Justy, WRX, Loyale, Outback). Since I got that out of my blood, now I can enjoy the evo.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:24 p.m.
johndej said:

Oh man, glad you got the car and glad I found this after the story was written to not have to wait!

Haha, thanks!!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:25 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Nice car and I admire your patience. I'm not sure I would have had it in me. I probably would have needed to have my father talk the guy down. 

Thanks Andy! My dad said "stop wasting your money, go get the CT5 Blackwing instead.  So my dad wouldn't be much of an help ;)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:28 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

He never rolled down the windows?  Wow

Never. 3 sets of floormats on front and back to protect OE floormats. Passenger seat had 2 passenger in its life. Both front seats were fully seran wrapped. Rears had no one in it ever, I was the first person.  

I had the window down yesterday - and it attracts small dust in the seats. I am not sure if the Evo 9 MR Recaros are Alcantara and Suade.  Also on old Japanese cars, when you roll down the window, if its old, not always perfectly in channel. Man when I rolled the window down, its so perfect (I know weird fetish of mine).  LIterally feels like a brand new car in all aspects.

I do a lot of long distance driving. I have to say the Evo 9 recaro are definitely one of my favorites. I did 1250 miles, and man wasn't tired at all either day. Body felt great.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:31 p.m.

Finally good news emissions/smog

After going to 4 shops who refuse to believe the federal emission label is legal and all refusing - went to a store . He said he does EVo and Sti all the time. He mentioned all evo has same label but Sti has "TC" for turbo charged. 

Asked me any internal mods - I said nope 

Emissions passed. In and out in ten minutes

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
11/8/22 8:31 p.m.

And I thought buying my Outback was a pain because Michigan dealer laws prevented the junk yard from letting me even test drive it, much less pay for it, on a Sunday... and when I came back to buy it I could only get it home by trailering it off the property a week later when they got word from the Secretary of State that the title transfer went through, otherwise I would have had to wait another week for the title to come in the mail so that I could come back with plates. 

Rooting for your rego woes to be sorted promptly. It's worth it for the one-owner cream puff cars still out there! (Didn't think they still existed until I found mine). 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:34 p.m.
bumpsteer said:

And I thought buying my Outback was a pain because Michigan dealer laws prevented the junk yard from letting me even test drive it, much less pay for it, on a Sundsy... and then I could only get it home by trailering it off the property a week later when they got word from the Secretary of State that the title transfer went through, otherwise I would have had to wait another week for the title to come in the mail so that I could come back with plates. 

Rooting for your rego woes to be sorted promptly. It's worth it for the one-owner cream puff cars still out there! (Didn't think they still existed until I found mine). 

Thanks I had one like yours long time ago. I lived in RI, bought a car in MA. They had a silly rule I couldn't take delivery. They had to deliver it to me the next day. Of course then learned all about the RI excise tax - what a bunch of crap. 

Wish me luck. I got the emissions done. If it doesn't rain tomorrow - our pretty ladies at the AAA will be allowed to venture outside, to confirm the VIN on the door, and I can finally have plates!!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eb0pqmQx4jWfeeWj48Jp8mP7v6VytPAnRcmwIF6d1AeMrL1PzxLOTwmbdhT6RSSh