1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
11/8/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I've got an anecdote about taxes on car sales...

We bought one of my wife's cars in the bay area while visiting my parents, as she wanted a winter tank and I needed to tow my SVX home. She played hardball with the dealer (great condition single owner GMT900 being sold at a Mitsubishi dealer) who informed us that he would sell us the car for the sticker price out the door, but he would have to have it shipped over the border to Reno and if we take delivery there we won't have to pay CA sales tax... No it won't cost us extra for shipping he says. 

Ok, sign the paperwork, write the check, walk out with the title, start thinking about logistics for driving the roughly 4 hours from my folks to Reno and back to hitch up the trailer, then we head out and drive the 2.5 hours from the dealer to my parents' home near Sacramento.

Next day, get a call from the tow driver asking what my folks' address is. As luck would have it, a tow from the bay to Reno only took him about 2.5 hours that day!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

Ha thats awesome! Yeah if you buy a car here, take delivery outside, no CA sales tax. That is how all our JDM dealers get away with selling illegal cars to local. They will "deliver" it to you in NV/AZ/OR, and you promise you won't drive it in CA. Then you register, and drive it in CA, and dealer looks the other way. Very lucrative illegal business. 

Due to this and many of us with MT/SD/VT plates, CA about 5 years ago started a 800 number, where you can call and snitch on your neighbors with out of state plates if you suspect of them tax dodging.  Thus my DD/personal cars, I keep titled- registered here in state albeit in the cheapest county very far away.  My flips/prjects/fun cars I rarely drive, are all registered in a non tax, non emission state. All to a LLC, where I am just it's employee, driving the work car :)

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
11/8/22 9:03 p.m.

I am shivvering at the thought of my neighbors having a hotline expressly for the purposes of snitching to the authorities. They already got me a warning once for out of date rego on a car sitting in my driveway (which is about 200ft long)... in the same month the rego expires (so how do they know my birth date isn't later in the month?)... when I had already payed the rego and was waiting for the stickers in the mail (evidently the city doesn't get to see that). Can't fathom what they'd do if they noticed the fleet had MT or VT plates on it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

I give all my neighbors the best holiday giftsdevil

all my out of state vehicles dont run front plates- back them ass in 

anything to bribe them with smiley

they already think i lower the property value around here with some of the stuff i buy - cant antagonize them more 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/22 11:08 p.m.

Wow - what a story!  But that might possibly be the one car that's worth it! Years ago my friend bought a black EVO 9 MR/SE. His was lightly modded with a turbo back exhaust, Swift springs, etc. and it was the best car I've ever driven. I want expecting to like it, but it blew me away. Great choice, hopefully now that it's passed smog you get to enjoy many years with it!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/22 12:44 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Hard pass on that.  Now if you come here for food, I can help with southern, soul, BBQ, steak, shrimp, or redfish.  

Definitely hoping to visit and grab some delicious food with you, my friend! My treat - for all the help you provided on the other project. I owe you.

You owe me zero!  That said my dad taught me it's rude to turn down food!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/22 2:31 a.m.

Wow, quite the saga!  Sorry you had to endure but glad you are reaping the rewards in the end.  Thanks for bringing us along for the journey. 

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
11/9/22 9:05 a.m.

my friend!  i was literally about to cannonball the honda across 3 time zones to come break you out of their basement dungeon before they sacrificed you to some Mitsubishi ritual!  

i have never, ever, heard of such an insane, neurotic owner and was genuinely worried about you for a hot minute.  i guess i kinda get it - if you're that disconnected from most people in the middle of nowhere and also older, everything these days looks like a scheme to take your money every time you turn the news on.  but the carpet pics, running a scam job with the bank teller, re-arranging your flight twice, having to take 3 people in the car just to drive it....this story needs a full editorial in GRM.

so glad it worked out though...and you're the perfect owner for a car like that with a nice place to keep it and the best roads to stretch its legs on.  i'm like you, not a Mitsu guy (aside from the GSX, starion, Evo, and Pajero) or fan of the company in general, but they 100% put their "A Team" on the Evo models and i love them for it.  I'm stoked you're going to hang onto it and properly blow the carbon out of it, for all the engineering that was put into it, I think that's the only proper way to enjoy these things.  everyone i know who's had one has generally talked about their care and feeding being a little more than average but that they drive like nothing else, just a pure rally homologation special.  i lusted over the RS models for a time when they were still semi-affordable just for how "racecar" they are.

just saw you were finally able to get it smogged.  right on!  i agree you should send a shot of the kids all hugging the car to the previous owner for the holidays, he'd probably go sob on his neighbor's shoulder for that one.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/9/22 9:48 a.m.

If they don't do internet etc, how'd they list the car for you to find it from out of state?  Back in '06 I almost bought an Evo9 MR.  Instead I bought a 07 STi, which was a pile and I sold it shortly afterwards with 5k miles on it.  Should've bought the Evo.

I would've dropped out of the deal long before you did as well, no way I would've kept dealing with their crazy

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/22 9:53 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Their kids? The site I saw it posted on has no chance of being known by someone in the 60s that dont do internet lol. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 10:59 a.m.

Good Morning All. It is 56F and sunny today.  Let's see if they will do a VIN verification today. Or will they say, they don't go outside in the cold either. 

In 5 hours we will know whether we can get plates or not. WISH ME LUCK!

Today on BaT: accident, mods, paint work, GSR model, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mitsubishi-evolution-ix-89/

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 11:02 a.m.
docwyte said:

If they don't do internet etc, how'd they list the car for you to find it from out of state?  Back in '06 I almost bought an Evo9 MR.  Instead I bought a 07 STi, which was a pile and I sold it shortly afterwards with 5k miles on it.  Should've bought the Evo.

I would've dropped out of the deal long before you did as well, no way I would've kept dealing with their crazy

The neighbor that stored the car in the garage, posted for them with 2 terrible photos. I was on the phone with them 17 minutes after ad was posted. 

I too bought a WRX but didn't have patience for 5K miles like you. I did 800 miles and kicked that pos out of the house, and it was utter pile. I too should have bought an Evo then. Well hindsight is 20/20.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 11:46 a.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow - what a story!  But that might possibly be the one car that's worth it! Years ago my friend bought a black EVO 9 MR/SE. His was lightly modded with a turbo back exhaust, Swift springs, etc. and it was the best car I've ever driven. I want expecting to like it, but it blew me away. Great choice, hopefully now that it's passed smog you get to enjoy many years with it!

Thanks! Smog is done. Finally a bit of good news on the car. Now I am hoping I can get the plates today. 

Similar to you - I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I lament for the S2000 stick shift, and my K20 - and the Evo shifter has delivered, very surprising.  I love how small the car is, how knife edge the steering is. Suspension is fantastic.  Haven't got to put the miles on Angeles Crest like I usually do (due to no plates), but hope to put it through its paces this weekend, if all goes well. 

I am very glad all the trouble I went through - it has lived up to the condition and its billing. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 11:52 a.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to docwyte :

Their kids? The site I saw it posted on has no chance of being known by someone in the 60s that dont do internet lol. 

Funny thing, the site you mention. The morning it was posted there, owner calls me "I am getting calls from everywhere, someone posted my car for sale on another site. I have given you my word, if you are still coming I won't respond to them"

I said - OF COURSE I AM COMING. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO TOLD ME TO COME ON A SPECIFIC DATE! I can come today!

That site is what led to have significant more interest in the car from local states. However, given how the owner was - I doubt most people would have been able to close the deal. 

Few people asked him for PPI (he showed me) messages on a desktop with his neighbor - which he of course refused. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Can't wait to meet you for food. Of course, as I have said to many GRM and many that have taken advantage, please look me up if you are in So Cal. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 11:54 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Wow, quite the saga!  Sorry you had to endure but glad you are reaping the rewards in the end.  Thanks for bringing us along for the journey. 

Thank you for coming along for the journey. Few people would appreciate the journey - most think I am dumb (which I know already).  Appreciate you guys letting us have a space to vent about this.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 12:13 p.m.
ScottyB said:

my friend!  i was literally about to cannonball the honda across 3 time zones to come break you out of their basement dungeon before they sacrificed you to some Mitsubishi ritual!  

i have never, ever, heard of such an insane, neurotic owner and was genuinely worried about you for a hot minute.  i guess i kinda get it - if you're that disconnected from most people in the middle of nowhere and also older, everything these days looks like a scheme to take your money every time you turn the news on.  but the carpet pics, running a scam job with the bank teller, re-arranging your flight twice, having to take 3 people in the car just to drive it....this story needs a full editorial in GRM.

so glad it worked out though...and you're the perfect owner for a car like that with a nice place to keep it and the best roads to stretch its legs on.  i'm like you, not a Mitsu guy (aside from the GSX, starion, Evo, and Pajero) or fan of the company in general, but they 100% put their "A Team" on the Evo models and i love them for it.  I'm stoked you're going to hang onto it and properly blow the carbon out of it, for all the engineering that was put into it, I think that's the only proper way to enjoy these things.  everyone i know who's had one has generally talked about their care and feeding being a little more than average but that they drive like nothing else, just a pure rally homologation special.  i lusted over the RS models for a time when they were still semi-affordable just for how "racecar" they are.

just saw you were finally able to get it smogged.  right on!  i agree you should send a shot of the kids all hugging the car to the previous owner for the holidays, he'd probably go sob on his neighbor's shoulder for that one.

Big thanks ScottyB!! You were with me on the journey from day one. I appreciate your input in reading those copied texts and keeping me sane. Always much appreciated. The scam job with the bank teller was ..WOW ..at that point I didn't know what to say. I mean I have LOTS of friends, but I don't have that many friends, who have random branch in the middle of nowhere to wire fake funds! HAH. 

Owner was neurotic. I do appreciate the way he took care of the car. As you know, I am probably one of the most anal owners around, and he definitely outdid me by many many moons. That said, is probably the reason I got such a nice example. Can't wait to stretch its legs, once plates are done. The roads are perfect for this car, and definitely needs some carbon cleaning with the left foot! HAH.  Yup me and you have same taste in cars, and MITSU isn't even in the top 10.  But this one definiteily feels special. 

As I was researching, there were lots of "tow truck is the EVO's favorite place," "motor blew at 80k" posts. The high mileage thread on the EVO forum, has a bunch of stock cars in the 180-250K mile range, with no issues. I spoke to couple of engineers on there (in MI) that have had them since new. Literally said, most reliable cars they owned, used stock parts, keep it stock, follow the schedule. 

However, I am going with my eyes wide open. 60K for timingbelt/water pump isn't something I usually do. Most of my cars don't need it till 100K, albeit most have chains these days and don't need it at all.   Then again many have said MSM/MS3 are POS, and both of mine have been pretty amazing, knock on wood for the EVO.  I plan to enjoy her, as it was intended, maintain as needed (do all fluids in Thanksgiving), and then do the belt/water pump service over X mas holidays.  I am sure it will require more attention than a Honda Civic - but I went in with eyes wide open. If I can do a good 5-8K miles on it a year, reliably, I should be happy.   

The RS models are definitely cool. Daddy Doug sold one on his site for a pretty penny recently, clean white one as well. 

Yes, I will send the X mas pics to him for sure. Rather he cries with his neighbor, than buys a 1 way ticket, and moves into my house for good! 

Have a good week my friend, and very much appreciated all the support/countless hours of help/and lending a free ear - since I can't afford a pyschologist these days! 

You know where I keep the keys - come on over and drive it anytime, be fun to get on some twisties with you - leave the wife/kids at the beach. 

P.S. Will pick up your package at renter house Friday

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/9/22 1:21 p.m.

I fear that I will be a jerk to all but the perfect buyer for my Mustang.   Not because it is super special, but it has been modified for a specific purpose and it would kill me to think that someone would not us it to it's full potential.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 1:37 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I fear that I will be a jerk to all but the perfect buyer for my Mustang.   Not because it is super special, but it has been modified for a specific purpose and it would kill me to think that someone would not us it to it's full potential.

Funny! My seller was opposite. It is killing him, that I am using the car as a car, and not as a showpiece inside a locked garage. 

If he knew I threw away the fake CF mirror covers, and the OEM rain visor things, AND I took out all the plastic inside the car and the floormats, I bet he comes over, and gives me my money back and demands his car back.

If he finds out that I plan to rev it past 3K - HAVE mercy! And AND AND I put NON Chevron gas in it!!!!!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/9/22 1:55 p.m.

I am happy you got the car even with all the hoops you had to jump thru , 

I have often interrogated  buyers calling about a car and often told them it's not the car for you , 

people were calling about my 2CV Citroen and wanting to drive it  30 miles each way to work on the LA freeways , Nope !

I hope it's warm enough for the AAA workers today :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 2:18 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I am happy you got the car even with all the hoops you had to jump thru , 

I have often interrogated  buyers calling about a car and often told them it's not the car for you , 

people were calling about my 2CV Citroen and wanting to drive it  30 miles each way to work on the LA freeways , Nope !

I hope it's warm enough for the AAA workers today :)

Thanks. Our first phone call, I told him, I was looking for a stock, 1 owner, no mods, all vin present car. The annoying part was the "interview questions" that came later, even though he knew what I was looking for. It was almost that I was getting random questions at random times as a "test" to see if I am a buyer of a EVO.  I can't read their mind. 

What I gather as 2 retired people - they have a lot of time on their hands, to ponder, think, come up with scenarios, etc. 

When you are busy with work, business, car projects, wife, kids, you don't have to time to think up all these things - these people did.  I am glad that part is behind me. 

Few more hours till 2nd plate attempt. Wish me luck!

wae
wae PowerDork
11/9/22 2:42 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
akylekoz said:

Funny! My seller was opposite. It is killing him, that I am using the car as a car, and not as a showpiece inside a locked garage. 

If he knew I threw away the fake CF mirror covers, and the OEM rain visor things, AND I took out all the plastic inside the car and the floormats, I bet he comes over, and gives me my money back and demands his car back.

If he finds out that I plan to rev it past 3K - HAVE mercy! And AND AND I put NON Chevron gas in it!!!!!

I would be making arrangements to have very high quality, poster-sized photography of me doing the smokiest 4-wheel drift evar to send them for Christmas....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/9/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to wae :

You are a cruel, cruel, man.

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
11/9/22 3:46 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Have a good week my friend, and very much appreciated all the support/countless hours of help/and lending a free ear - since I can't afford a pyschologist these days! 

You know where I keep the keys - come on over and drive it anytime, be fun to get on some twisties with you - leave the wife/kids at the beach. 

Of course...good to catch up and it was great just to come along for the ride (well, more fun for me sitting at home with my feet up while you navigated that mess....haha).

much obliged and i'm looking forward to taking you up on that.  same goes next time you head east of course, although the hardware isn't as exciting.  at least i can smoke a mean pork shoulder. 

i'll try to dig up some old threads i remember during my years combing forums trying to learn about cool cars....i recall some good ones on the Evo that i'll send your way.  

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/9/22 5:00 p.m.
wae said:
mr2s2000elise said:
akylekoz said:

I would be making arrangements to have very high quality, poster-sized photography of me doing the smokiest 4-wheel drift evar to send them for Christmas....

I'll take one too iffen you do it....wink

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sConhMCmImOrVmcthPK0L3wSojrIy8gctvRBuqEudhrOXlLUYZYXghGD8LGqM0bq