1 2 3 ... 7
iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/3/22 8:02 a.m.

This is my 2011 GLK 350:

It's based on the W204 C-Class and came from the factory with the 722.9 7 speed automatic transmission. The donor for this project was a 2008 C300 optioned with the 6 speed manual transmission. 

As this car is based on the W204, there were provisions for everything related to the manual transmission. The firewall insulation had a precut section for the manual pedal box, there were 2 holes in the firewall for clutch hydraulics, there were extra holes drilled and tapped in the unibody for varying lengths of transmissions, literally everything was bolt in. 

So in about 9 hours I went from this:

To this:

As of right now the car starts as long as I have the automatic shifter mechanism plugged in, and goes through all of the gears with no screeching from the computers. I'm currently waiting for the driveshaft to arrive as I forgot to purchase it from the donor C300, and I'm also waiting for my J2534 device to attempt to start coding the computers from automatic to manual.

I'm mainly starting this thread so people have a different google result other than "can't be done too many computers" or "can be done but will cost a bajillion dollars" when they want to swap their W/X204. Once I get it coded I will list out the modules and addresses that need changed and a final parts list. 

Any questions ask away, and thanks for reading!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/3/22 8:15 a.m.

That's awesome! Having parted out (an automatic) c300, I'm impressed that you could do anything on one in 9 hours. Worthy goal and should make an awesome driver. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/3/22 8:59 a.m.

This is fascinating.  Tell me more about what you're using to re-educate HAL9000

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/3/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Xentry passthru and a Chinese J2534 device. You can buy clones of Mercedes C3/C4 multiplexers on ebay to use with DAS and the full Xentry suite, but I was advised that for just coding modules passthru is all that is needed. My J2534 should be here today, so I'll have a better idea of how well this will work out later.  

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/3/22 3:03 p.m.

9 hours! That's facemelting speed. This is too damn cool! 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
5/4/22 9:24 a.m.

I agree with the others that 9 hours seems like warp speed.  Is this one 4WD?  

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/4/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

It was really simple, EVERYTHING was bolt on. When I say everything I mean everything. Even the brake fluid reservoir comes with the provisions for the clutch line. 

No it's RWD. I don't think Mercedes makes an AWD manual transmission. 

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/22 10:56 a.m.

Dude! That's awesome. I would manual swap every car I own if I could. (so far so good...)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/22 5:55 p.m.

Cool stuff.  I like this body.  Its a tidy package.  Like an upscale Subaru Forester. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/5/22 8:52 p.m.

Driveshaft is in!

​​​​​

No issues in regular driving without the coding thankfully. 

Still trying to figure the computers out!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/6/22 12:47 p.m.

Ok so I'm not done with the coding, but I've made progress. 

So far the hardest part of this has been sifting through the various forums looking for the right combination of programs to let me edit modules. I finally got access to the developer options in DAS for the ME97 and it allowed me to change my transmission type from NAG 2 to NSG here:

And that resulted in the ME97 showing this transmission:

I can now start the car with all automatic transmission components unplugged. I still need to code out the central gateway module (or SAM) to get rid of the PRND in the cluster, but I think I need a better cable than the one I have now for that as it won't read the module version. After that it's just putting all of the trim back together in the interior and that's it. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
5/7/22 9:03 a.m.

Parts Used 

Transmission: 716 manual transmission (dealers choice here, they came in a bunch of stuff but try to get one that was bolted to an m272)

Shifter, clutch/brake pedal (204-290-5301) + hydraulic lines (003-997-22-52, 204-290-00-13, 211-290-30-13), and driveshaft (204-410-1206) from 2008-2011 W204 C300. 

Clutch set: LUK 11055

Flywheel: LUK DMF078

The transmission mount is the same between auto + manual, the auto crossmember will fit but the manual crossmember will give you more room to tighten the driveshaft bolts. 

This is a bolt in swap for the RWD W/X204 platform, 0 non-factory provisioned modifications are necessary. 

Factree. 

​​​​​​

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
5/11/22 11:22 a.m.

Coding is finally done, no fault codes present.

To code a W204/X204 from automatic to manual you will need a J2534 passthru device (openport clone works fine), and DAS with 204 protoyp patch and/or vediamo 4.2.2. 

You need to change the coding for three modules: the ME97, the central gateway, and front SAM

I used DAS to change the implicit coding of the ME97(me97.cbf) from automatic to manual (in the post above), and vediamo to change the implicit coding for the central gateway (cgw212.cbf) to change "423_427_automatikgetriebe" from available to not available to get rid of the prnd in the cluster. Used vediamo to program the front SAM (samf_172.cbf)  RG_EN from nein to ja in VCD_Parameter_Rueckwaertsgangerkennung for reverse lights.

That's all there is to the coding, ignore any posts you find saying coding for the W204 HAS to be done with a c3/c4 and XDOS online.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 12:34 p.m.

It's beautiful how truly simple that is. Nice job!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/11/22 1:02 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Thank you! Yeah it really was surprisingly simple, even though it did take me a while to find what I actually needed to do to code the modules. When you have the right tools Mercedes actually makes it easy to tinker. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

How much did you pay for your 716 and where did you get it?  The one that came behind the m272 are the 716.667 I believe. They also bolt to the m113 v8 engines. 

I'm looking for one for my w108.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/11/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I paid $450 for the transmission itself from a salvage yard near Fredericksburg, VA. They had an entire donor car so I purchased everything I need for the swap from them for $975.

Car-part.com is your friend if you're looking for a transmission. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/22 3:06 p.m.

Thanks. I'm an hour north of Fredericksburg in Alexandria VA. I always forget about car-part.com

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
5/16/22 2:30 p.m.

Swapped in a color instrument cluster from a 2014 GLK and the dang shift indicator is back. None of my auto > manual coding changed, so I think this is just part of the software in this cluster. I'll have to look in to how I might be able to change it. 

To swap a used cluster you'll need to "virginize" it by having the mileage set to 0. I paid for this from a website called MBTools, there are ways to unlock the cluster with seedkey calculators but I never could get one to work.

Once it's virginized you can go in Vediamo and run the routine "RT_Kombi_einlernen_Start" to teach in the cluster to the car, and then you can transfer over your variant coding. 

Edit:

Weird, I just noticed the mileage is off on the new cluster. It's pulled directly from the EIS in the teach in procedure so I'm not sure how that happened. 

sammyco
sammyco
7/28/22 8:26 a.m.

Hey just stumbled on this and yes absolutely amazing!! Was there a speedo hook up too? Perhaps the ratio is a bit different from the automatic? 

Anyways thanks for sharing definitely helped my google search ambition 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
8/19/22 8:43 a.m.
sammyco said:

Hey just stumbled on this and yes absolutely amazing!! Was there a speedo hook up too? Perhaps the ratio is a bit different from the automatic? 

Anyways thanks for sharing definitely helped my google search ambition 

Sorry for such a late reply to this.

The speedo reading comes from the wheel speed sensors and the ABS module so nothing needed to be done there. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/22 9:05 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yes, I forget about them too, but it can be very useful!

iammclovin804 - this is really cool how how you made this happen and dispelled the "it can't be done" mindset. But since new cars are so computerized now, not shocked that a different year cluster behaves differently, but I am confident you will figure it out.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
8/19/22 9:13 a.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yes, I forget about them too, but it can be very useful!

iammclovin804 - this is really cool how how you made this happen and dispelled the "it can't be done" mindset. But since new cars are so computerized now, not shocked that a different year cluster behaves differently, but I am confident you will figure it out.

I did get the new cluster all programmed in correctly thankfully. Basically had to run a hard reset command on it and that was it. 

RKTFiST
RKTFiST New Reader
8/19/22 9:37 p.m.

Would you say the swap is worth the effort? I'd imagine your MPG went down somewhat, but by how much? 

You're a scholar and a gentleman for tagging the part numbers and tools needed to code this. Nice work since it looks like clean swap!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
8/21/22 5:38 p.m.
RKTFiST said:

Would you say the swap is worth the effort? I'd imagine your MPG went down somewhat, but by how much? 

You're a scholar and a gentleman for tagging the part numbers and tools needed to code this. Nice work since it looks like clean swap!

I think for most people it wouldn't be worth it. It wasn't a difficult swap, but there's no real benefit unless you just prefer driving manuals like I do. 

MPG is about the same. I'm averaging 21 MPG in mixed driving. I think the manual works better with the rear gearing for MPG so losing the 7th gear hasn't mattered much. 

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHt5n56IACt8G0PNCLRB8ege8K8AVGinoI9JvdetIr5i2X4ZUHAv2TTC6VkwRTNc