1 2 3 4 ... 26
DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/18/13 4:26 p.m.

I have a racing header I'd sell you on the cheap. It's an ISC copy (ISC no longer makes headers).

It's the one on the far right. RB header is in the middle, yes it has gotten so hot that the stainless is rusting.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/19/13 8:20 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Thats how you know its working...

It looks to be true duals. I'm actually going to be re-doing the whole exhaust after I get this going. I'm moving to single for weight savings and some exhaust tuning to make proper power. it looks nice but I won't be needing it.

I'm glad I'm on page 2 now, too many photos lol. Engine build photos soon to come.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/19/13 9:46 a.m.

Yeah I have to avoid parking on grass when I pull off when it's hot. Instant grass fire!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/13 9:27 p.m.

I fully support this project.

Also, the S4 sport package spoiler is the best to have on an FC. I had one on my car (which I now miss from time to time).

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/20/13 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I'm a sucker for the duckbill, I dunno why.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/13 9:57 p.m.

Because it is functional and it looks good. At least, that is what did it for me.

I'm debating getting the RX-8 Mazdaspeed duckbill and replacing the Gateway Arch they mounted on the back from the factory.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Its a toss up for me on that one, I like both variations on the rx8.

Also. Sourced some housings yesterday and a mazdaspeed order shipment arrived... muhahahaha

photos soon to come of the hoarded parts for next engine.

and more on the way, but what I do need to source is a pair of matching weight S5 NA rotors.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
3/21/13 8:29 a.m.

Hey man,

I have an autopower bolt in cage for an FC sitting in Cleveland, if you have any interest.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to monsterbronco:

No thanks, when its time for a cage I'm just going to have one built nicely. I don't mind spending some coin by investing in my life through safety equipment. I don't need a cage for rallyX but for stage rally is a requirement.

also on that note, I have some new seats/harnesses on the way with a new steering wheel shortly after that.

The next updates will be pretty significant.

:)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/21/13 11:04 a.m.

Somebody is getting spendy!

Where are the damn pictures!?

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 12:34 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

tax return and new (and better paying) job!

Teaser photos tomorrow.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/21/13 1:22 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to monsterbronco: No thanks, when its time for a cage I'm just going to have one built nicely. I don't mind spending some coin by investing in my life through safety equipment. I don't need a cage for rallyX but for stage rally is a requirement. also on that note, I have some new seats/harnesses on the way with a new steering wheel shortly after that. The next updates will be pretty significant. :)

My bolding. Does this mean there is some serious news on the way? Trip to TRF by any chance? Are you taking the final plunge?

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
3/21/13 1:25 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to monsterbronco: No thanks, when its time for a cage I'm just going to have one built nicely. I don't mind spending some coin by investing in my life through safety equipment. I don't need a cage for rallyX but for stage rally is a requirement. also on that note, I have some new seats/harnesses on the way with a new steering wheel shortly after that. The next updates will be pretty significant. :)

Understandable, wasnt sure how serious you were getting from a cage standpoint. Not sure where you are located, but in Akron, Ohio there is a great cage builder, did an amazing job on my FC for w2w. Let me know if you want more information.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 1:42 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
My bolding. Does this mean there is some serious news on the way? Trip to TRF by any chance? Are you taking the final plunge?

Nope not yet. Ideally I would like to stage rally THIS car but due to RA rules I cannot be a beginner in group 5. So I will have to rack up "experience points to unlock that level" with NASA and rally school(s) in the meantime. Don't need a cage in rallycross but yes I would likely have TRF do my cage, but stage rally for me is on the 5 year plan/goal. Or buy a golf or something G2 ready then sell it when I'm done.

Still need hans and various safety clothing, among some more work on the suburban (see frankenburban thread) and general licensing/entry fee cash.

I would have ordered 5 point SFI cert harnesses and etc but they would expire by the time I do take the plunge, however the seats are FIA cert and fixed back so its legal for NASA, PPIHC and RA. So in the meantime I went with some 4 points that are bolt in.

I already have a hub adapter for the steering wheel and a nice wood momo steering wheel but the wood is starting to crack and its too small diameter of a wheel for no PS and lots of sideways action.

its all about thinking ahead :) which is a prelude to this next engine build. Basically the next engine is a bassis for the engine that with replace that one...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/21/13 2:18 p.m.

Yeah, I find it odd that you can now run an open light car with a novice license, but not any of the group 5 cars. There is the waiver for previous motorsports experience. With all the rally cross you've done, plus if you ran Magnum Opus if it continues as a NASA Coefficient 2 or 3 event, Rally WV which is a coefficient 2 and the Summit point rally spring as a Coef 1. I bet you could talk to Mike Hurst and say 'Look, this is a bone stock 13B) making 140hp. Can I run?' You might get away with it. Power isn't important for Sno*Drift.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/21/13 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Yeah before I run a rally I would love to do the full oneal experience.

If I saw a G2 rx7 for sale I would just snag that up in a heartbeat. Last years magnum opus there was a black and yellow 88 NA.

I may co-drive at Magnum Opus this year...

Also due to getting spendy, I splurged and bought a new oil pan from mazda (75 bucks). I plan on getting the banzai brace too, I want NO pan leaks, fluid leaks are bad for tech and especially bad for ice racing.

and this next engine is getting loctite on every thread. I have issues had with front cover or pan bolts backing out due to vibration from solid powertrain mounts.

5 year plan is to be doing stage rally, at least having fun and doing it. Being competitive will come after that.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/25/13 8:23 a.m.

Okay pics as promised. I do not have interior shots and wont for some time. however... In these bags are mint condition S4 4 port irons. These side plates are in great condition, no wear and still show the original machining marks. Un ported currently.

Got bored when I had the powder coat-er still, left to right: t2 oil pump, bling'd out WP housing, mazdaspeed motor sports comp front LCA bushings

for these that I've had laying around. again more powdercoated stuffs.

Powdercoated front cover, NEW mazda oem oil pan and competition pan baffle.

oh my and what are those stat gears???? Yes they are from the Rx8, enhanced oiling properties from the 3 window bearing and hardened gears. capable of 10krpm out of the box.

And now some shots of the housings, picked up some s4 NA housings, in great shape! look how dull the surface is and there is no flaking! just some normal ammount of corner seal wear.

They are un ported as of yet and I have to install these badboys from another set of "good" housings:

And what you cant identify, from left to right: FD corner seal springs Compeition needle bearings FD apex seal springs inner FD apex seal springs outer FD oil pressure regulator (rear) front cover gasket E-shaft compeition plug jets FD side seals FD side seal springs

all new in box from mazda :)

whats left to acquire: S5 NA 9.7:1 engine rotors rx8 e-shaft misc gaskets and seal kit. corner seals

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/25/13 3:16 p.m.

Should get an electric water pump so you can ditch the blet-driven one. More efficient and you can cool the car without it running.

No cavitation at high RPM too, since it runs independent of engine speed.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/25/13 5:25 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

I've debaited that, but I have no cooling problems. Oddly enough sounding I know but for a rotary car that doesnt have cooling issues.

Its not that the electrical system can't handle it (alternator is from an FD) but with the vented hood, griffin radiator, spal fan, wrapped headers, heatshield for intake manifold and generally nothing in the engine bay, there is no need. That and I have 5 or so water pumps laying around.

I like the idea but here is order of importance.

1. seats/harness/steering wheel
  2. address some brakes/bearings/bushings/shocks
  3. rebuild engine
  4. redo intake
  5. redo exhaust.
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/25/13 5:51 p.m.

The wear on the edges is not from the apex seal, it's from fretting against the side housings and thermal goofiness.

Every engine I build gets the sides of the chrome beveled just a little bit. Prevents flaking from happening. I just run a real fine file around the perimeter to round it a bit. I learned this from someone who's been racing rotaries since back in the days when they'd take apart RX-2 engines for the carbon apex seals, and mill them down to 3mm thick to use in the RX-3 engines...

Anyway, this is also why I torque the tension bolts to 23ft-lb, 25 MAX. Anything to keep the rotor housing from crushing when the engine gets hot.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/26/13 10:45 a.m.

File or Sandpaper?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/13 1:43 p.m.

A fine jeweler's file. Not the chrome surface, the edge of the chrome.

Not a whole lot, just to bevel it a few thousandths.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/26/13 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

okay, makes sense. When I think file I think rockwell rated files.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
5/6/13 7:50 a.m.

quick update to updates:

Right there is a complete rotary engine, but there are still some things that I want to aquire before I assemble and now I am starting the prep work of cleaning every damn bit that is going to be re-used.

Also made some progress on the chassis for the last race on the current engine (may 25th)

safety first!

now the car is even more unstreetable and not many people below 6' I think are able to drive it now.

also we managed in the process of leaning over things and stuff that I broke another center console, going to need to source a new one of those.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/25/13 9:14 a.m.

So I have not updated this in a while:

You know when your a GRM-er when...

You know you are rotarded when...

I've have had these for the longest time but never got around to installing them. I powdercoated them (and the brackets) myself when I had the get up and then had mazdaspeed competition bushings installed.

mmmmmmmm tires... Normally I reserved these wheels for road tires only but they look too damn cool to be not utilized essentially...

Also not pictured are new 205/55/16 WS60 Blizzaks for ice racing season. (potentially) I should be saving for a house but wheel-to-wheel ice racing during every sat/sun of Feb sounds more excellent...

Completely re-wired and re mounted these: nice GM sealed weather pack connectors, no more shady trailer plug connector.

oh... herro there... Just on the backs right now, fronts need attention too.

Did pretty good at the day/night rallycross. took 3rd out of 11, only had 1 clean run all day but it was good for RWD FTD!

lots of blue smoke, burned a lot of oil, hard to start in 20 degree weather etc. Only had some minor drama. Fan control relay failed and the engine overheated, coolant pouring out of the overflow and somehow at this same time the oil pressure sending unit failed but we had plenty of oil pressure.

We ran 3 drivers that day, (my 2 roommates and I)

1 2 3 4 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ks9uQMYKiMoaGoXqolljb7esaGN46E2yJPSx84IhDd2Se5riHlcc6uLHYxolhNhq