1 2 3
jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/25/21 1:14 p.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:

Glad you made it home OK.  Hope your ownership doesn't leave you shoe less.

So long as I have beer in the fridge, I'm OK.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/21 9:04 p.m.

Can I get in line for nexties? 

I think it needs the supercat engine I have. 

5/26/21 4:52 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Can I get in line for nexties? 

I think it needs the supercat engine I have. 

I haven't started to get to the point of disillusionment and thoughts of abandoning the project yet, but request noted.  I'm hoping to whip the thing into shape and drive it for a while.

It's a Jaguar, of course it leaks.  Kitty litter should come standard with a used Jaguar.

Looks like it needs a steering rack rebuild.

6/11/21 12:42 p.m.

Making at least some progress -

Replaced the very bent tie rod with one that is much straighter.  Jaguar used a standard ZF rack and Rock Auto had the part for not much money.  However, it looks like the tie rod on the passenger side was also replaced and the dust boot wasn't secured, which didn't do the rack any good and I think that's where the PS leak is coming from.  I'm wondering if I can buy the seal kit and stop the leak or if I need to buy a rebuilt rack.

The car is throwing a P1646 check engine code which indicates a bad heater on the passenger side O2 sensor.  Checked the sensor and the heater is indeed open.  Jaguar put the damn thing in a ridiculously tight spot.  The workshop manual suggests taking off the "middle muffer" which is most of the exhaust system.  Argh.  I gave up on getting the thing out.  Managed to get a crow foot on it from the top but couldn't get any oomph on it. 

I called a couple of places and wasn't finding any love for old Jaguars.  The third call was to a local independent shop that does a lot of BMWs, etc.  Guy knew the car and said "those are really hard to get to" so I figured we were on the right track.  He agreed to do the job for $117/hour and use my part with the warning that it won't be cheap.  It goes in next week.  Good news is that I got my plates extended 60 days so there's no rush to do it anymore.

6/11/21 1:01 p.m.

I've been looking at the hood and nose and trying to figure out what the paint needs.  Was expecting that the hood would need a repaint but decided to see if I could take off enough clear coat to get it to the point of being able to spray another coat of clear without the color basecoat. 

In the spirit of starting with the least damaging option, I hit it with some medium-cut polish.  WIN!!  After a couple of hours with the DA polisher the hood was looking good enough that I had to hit the rest of the car too.  Ended up going until nearly midnight with the medium polish, followed by a finish polish, then wax.  Today I feel like I worked out hard yesterday, but the results are worth it.

Still need to fix that hit on the nose.  Have a bottle of Evercoat Polyflex and waiting for an Amazon order with a 3" orbital sander and some other supplies.

6/11/21 1:04 p.m.

Final vanity shots -

Once the nose cover is fixed, the body will be a solid twenty footer.  You can really see the difference between the nose which didn't get compounded and polished and the rest of the car.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/12/21 6:27 a.m.

Nice work!  Let this be a lesson/learning.  If the clearcoat isn't flaking and completely gone, don't be afraid to attack the paint.  I tried some medium compound by hand and it didn't do much.  I should've used the DA and tried harder.  Glad to know it came back to a shine.  That is a gorgeous looking car.  One of my modern day faves.

6/16/21 4:25 p.m.

YES!!!

The plates no longer have an expiration date and the car feels like +75HP.  Awesome.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/16/21 6:51 p.m.

Hooray!  That was an awesome car while I had it.   Glad to see it is getting another lease on life 

8/4/21 7:31 p.m.

Did some bodywork on the nose.

The PolyFlex is neat stuff - flexible, sandable, and pretty easy to work with.

The end result doesn't match all that well, and that's after 3 resprays.  Trying to decide if looking at my non-matching paint work is worse than the cracked nose.

I'd like to find another parts car in the same color I could grab the bumper cover from.  I also need a drivers seat bottom -

8/11/21 12:03 p.m.

Sorry about that seat.  It was pretty stiff when I got it.  I treated it every couple weeks trying to bring it back.

Even mismatched, I think the nose is an improvement.

8/26/21 9:28 p.m.

The Jag gets a bath

to celebrate hitting 100K

The car is a nice day top-down driver.  I think the top has been up three times since I bought it - a couple of times to get a bath and we got caught in a quick thunderstorm one evening.

4/25/22 9:39 p.m.

Hmmm...  Wonder how they feel about pre-existing conditions?

I can't help but wonder who would respond to this shady crap, much less give them $$.

Edit - Thought it would be amusing to do a google search of the claim administrator.  The BBB website is an interesting contradiction:  The BBB rating is A+, the customer reviews are 1.25/5 with lots of horror stories about work that wasn't covered.  Strange.

4/28/22 8:56 p.m.

Man, that's a computer that needs its algorithm checked if it's offering an extended warranty on a 2000 Jag :-)

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
4/28/22 9:28 p.m.

It probably got sent because you keep ignoring their very important calls 

BobTaylor
BobTaylor New Reader
4/29/22 4:54 a.m.

Yes, these English cars are complete...
...but I love them! I'm referring to the amount of repairs, largely preventative of course, that are done at 53,000 miles

8/17/22 12:49 p.m.

I've lost momentum on this and think I'll offer it to the next owner while the weather is still nice enough to fly and drive it home.  It's been a great car and SWMBO will miss it.  The top is still down, and we drive it to the beach, out for dinner, over to friends, etc. when the weather is nice.  There are still some things that could use sorting out:  I never looked into the ABS light that was on when I bought it (have the sensor and the cable from the PO, just never did anything with them), a power steering leak (I just add fluid occasionally), the dash gauges need wiring (the car came with the wiring kit and instructions), etc..

Send me a message if you're interested in becoming the next caretaker of this car.  I'll post it to the For Sale list later today.

jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/31/23 10:07 a.m.

I had a call from Barry's sister and he has passed.  (Barry - Hasbro - is the GRM guy that bought the car.)  That sucks.

She is handling the estate and can't find a title for the car.  I can get her a replacement Wisconsin title for the car and sign it over, but it's probably a good idea to make sure that the car hasn't been titled in Georgia.  (right?)  Is there a way to figure out where a car is currently titled?  Once the title is sorted out, I'll put up a For Sale post for them.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/23 11:08 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

I had a call from Barry's sister and he has passed.  (Barry - Hasbro - is the GRM guy that bought the car.)  That sucks.

She is handling the estate and can't find a title for the car.  I can get her a replacement Wisconsin title for the car and sign it over, but it's probably a good idea to make sure that the car hasn't been titled in Georgia.  (right?)  Is there a way to figure out where a car is currently titled?  Once the title is sorted out, I'll put up a For Sale post for them.

Oh no!!!

I bet there is a way to search the vin in GA where Barry lived - that should tell you if he ever applied for one. 

Also I know he had some x1/9s as well. The group may be interested in those. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
3/31/23 11:15 a.m.

I just went back and checked my texts from him. I know he was looking at suspension refurb on the jag from the last time we chatted but I don't have much else Intel on how he was using the jag.

Ug. 

Please let me know how I can help.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
3/31/23 11:24 a.m.

I bet someone could try to cancel the registration (or at least start the process) and that would tell you if it was indeed registered in GA or not. 

https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/

3/31/23 9:04 p.m.

Man, hate to hear this.  Jwag, I sent you a pm

4/1/23 10:59 a.m.

Robbie - thanks for the link.  There's a title status link there and it comes back "Unable to verify the status of title. Please ensure that the information provided is correct." on the VIN so I'm guessing he never titled it.  I think the best way to deal with it might be to get a duplicate Wisconsin title and backdate it to match the original title and sale.  Other thoughts welcome. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/1/23 11:20 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

Robbie - thanks for the link.  There's a title status link there and it comes back "Unable to verify the status of title. Please ensure that the information provided is correct." on the VIN so I'm guessing he never titled it.  I think the best way to deal with it might be to get a duplicate Wisconsin title and backdate it to match the original title and sale.  Other thoughts welcome. 

That's very possible. Are there plates on the car? (I assume no but better to be sure I guess).

4/4/23 11:43 p.m.

The car is in Georgia and For Sale again.  Sadly, since Hasbro has passed, his sister would like to sell the car.  I'll update my old For Sale thread.  If you PM me I'll send you his sister's contact info.

I visited my friendly local DMV office today and picked up a duplicate title.  I'll copy the sales details and forward it to his sister so it should be ready to go very soon.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uKUW3uhIlkQBqctzat9GeUsTitzLCWW8sPPBOGSz0sMipkvGggAdJ8CtSrtW1NaX