Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/20 9:18 p.m.
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/7/20 6:59 a.m.

How many Miata's pop a head gasket by 71,000 miles?  Is this common?  

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

My experience is mostly with NAs and I didn't think this was common. Also not sure if this is a decent deal even at the $2500 the ad now calls for.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/7/20 8:58 a.m.

Up here (Michigan) that would sell in a heartbeat just because it won't be rusty. I'm the VP of the largest Miata club in Michigan and I've never known a head gasket to go, so I have to wonder what's really wrong with it, or what did they do to make it fail. 

calteg
calteg Dork
10/7/20 1:53 p.m.

I'd bet that one (or both) of the fans has stopped working, causing it to overheat. Fan failure seems way more common than a blown head

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/20 8:38 a.m.

Looks rather funky, but well priced for what it is.  Wonder if they did a compression test and got low readings due to broken tbelt?  Just spitballing.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/9/20 9:03 a.m.

I'd be all over that if transporting to PA wouldn't cost a healthy percentage of the purchase price.  Anyone in the Northeast coming home from the Challenge with an empty trailer?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/9/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Talk to Curtis.  I know he's going down with an empty trailer but I don't know if he is coming back with one.

greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
10/9/20 1:00 p.m.

The ad is now deleted but if it truly did have 71k as I read there's a chance it sat for many years leading to an untimely hg failure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5iTS8GJpU39HOsVRkE86Kb37yDRv9qlTyuG7aC8bCANDR0wmi6UjSnH5mXAKPTAu