Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/6/22 2:53 p.m.

EDIT: I put this in the wrong category, so I just reposted it in Cars For Sale since it seemed like moving it wasn't going to happen: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1963-ranchero-project-mine-affiliated-entangled-etc-cheap-save-me/199618/page1/ Feel free to delete this thread.

In Portland, Oregon (actually in Vancouver, WA in indoor storage at the moment).

There are, I think, two threads because at one point I had a gap so long I forgotten I'd started one. I got a little done on this, then there was some mayhem, then we moved and remodeled, and I'm actually back at wiring-and-drywall in the new shop, right about where I was the last time I was about to make progress on this car. But the shop is nicer and someone else is doing the drywall this time. smiley

The first Ranchero intro thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/ransoms-1963-ford-ranchero/61874/page1/

The oops-I-forgot-I-already-had-a-thread thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/ransoms-1963-ranchero-resurrection/124004/page1/

The only real repair that's been completed in my stewardship is replacing the rusty inner fender apron where the battery sat and repairing the cut-up radiator core support. The GRM audience can be divided into groups who will probably consider the job I did "pretty darn good!" or "fine" with a couple of "ugh, now I gotta fix it again." But I think most of the folks in that last camp are too pro to start with this car.

A lot of this summary is probably covered, maybe better, in the other threads linked above.

The worst news: It's got the world's worst rear fender flares. It's like they sawzalled off the outer 3" of a VW Bug and screwed it to the quarter panels then bondoed over the joint.

Related good news: It got sideswiped and that nearly removed one of the terrible flares!

Other related good news: I acquired replacement quarter panels I cut two off another Ranchero, then discovered that one was already pretty bondotastic, then found out that reproductions are available so got a replacement for that side.

Related bad news: Woody called it way back in the original thread: Outer halves of the inner fenders are not available as reproductions, and what's attached to the car is worse than starting with a sheet of steel.

I have odds and ends like new mirrors, gas pedal, battery mount tray... Rounded up an Explorer rear end and extra short side axle to do the narrow-the-wide-end-and-shazam path to limited slip and rear discs. Oh, and a Scarebird front disc conversion kit! It's on a fresh set of Wheel Vintiques steelies, and with a terrible groan I recognize the zero-mile Kumhos are well on their way to aging out... *sigh* Oo, a freshly rechromed front bumper! And an aluminum ebay radiator.

It's on a wider than original '67 Mustang rear axle. It went with the wagon wheels filling the flares, so you either need to keep it flared (NO! At least not like this...), finish the Explorer axle project, or get a Falcon axle. The engine is a 302 out of an F-100, somewhere in the receipts is the rebuild at a gas station many, many years ago. Trans is a C4 automatic. The car was originally a 6-cyl/manual IIRC, and I think still has the three on the tree shifter in place. Power steering but not brakes, which are still drum all round (I haven't rounded up the parts that go with the Scarebird backets; IIRC S10 calipers and a Maverick master cylinder?) At one point it was running well enough to coax it up and down the driveway, but I've always wanted to change too much to bother trying to get it running well or sorting details. I do think it's close enough that I'm hoping to put everything back together and verify it drives (or at least moves) before it goes away, but that won't be immediate.

Embarrassingly, it looks like I don't really have any good pictures that are more recent. It hasn't really changed apart from removing the smashed flare so you can see the butchery underneath, having the front fenders and hood put loosely back on for moving and storage, and the wheel swap. Right now it's so tightly wedged in the storage unit I can't really get meaningful pictures, so what's in the threads linked above will have to do for now.

I know Falcons are going up in price, but I also know this one needs enough serious bodywork to keep it from being all that valuable. I got it cheap and spent a bit of time and money rounding up parts. I'm hoping there's a GRMer who wants to take it on and thus make me feel good about keeping the price down in exchange for not having to deal with The Public as such. So, uh, how about One Thousand Dollars?

In theory the interior paint on the garage will be done on the 20th, and then I'll probably try to use the open space to build handrails before moving All My Crap in, so I probably won't fetch the Ranchero 'til well into October, though if someone's all wound up we can probably figure out how to move enough stuff out of the way to get it directly from the storage unit.

Jesse Ransom
9/6/22 2:55 p.m.

I usually receive PMs sent through GRM, but do ping this thread just in case.

Jesse Ransom
9/6/22 2:59 p.m.

Oh, there's also a T5 from I don't recall which year 5.0-powered Mustang (I believe it's a "World Class" T5) and one from an S-10 to donate its tailshaft housing to put the shifter in a sane place for the Falcon.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/6/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Jesse Ransom
9/6/22 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Why are you so far away? I've always been more or less here.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/6/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

If you were on this side of the Mississippi river, I'd have probably already sent you a deposit.

Jesse Ransom
9/6/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Ach. I'm sorry the logistics are awkward. And I'm losing out on BBQ to boot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RM9PVPjOI2d9354b5SdAm3KKGpuQSPiptIegynk4ZGYBvrXaU66l2VO5IBK2AW9A