nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/23 1:13 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1324072235115120/ - Heavy patina on the body, and probably nothing left underneath. From the ad: "Car has been sitting for 20+ years and the chassis underneath has rusted away. The original drivetrain is still intact and the engine has a Hermes intake with a single Weber 45mm side draft carb."

If the drivetrain is worth anything as a part out, maybe use the shell to re-body another chassis?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/23 3:57 p.m.

That body and interior is somehow still in better condition than mine even after a year of work on it.

eurotechms
eurotechms New Reader
3/23/23 4:11 p.m.

Shame bet it was quite the looker back in the day. Another ill get to it one day restorations...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 4:23 p.m.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen or noticed this before. The badge says "Europe"... is this an early badge or something else?

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

According to BMW CCA Hack Mechanic Rob Siegel (who also wrote a book about restoring his Europa): "Regarding the "Europe" badge, Wikipedia says "The Series 1 or S1 Europa (also known as Lotus Type 46) was announced for sale to European markets on 20 December 1966. The first cars were delivered in France in February 1967. Volkswagen owned the rights to the Europa name in Germany, so cars for sale in Germany were badged Europe rather than Europa." I've never seen one with a badge that actually said "Europe," but this one IS a very early S1 car."

although the ad says it's an early S2... I originally saw the Marketplace ad posted in a local BMW 2002 group that Rob frequently comments in...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 8:54 p.m.

Well the good news is the S1 backbone frame was bonded to the fiberglass body, so at least with this car it shouldn't take much effort to separate them.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
3/23/23 9:07 p.m.

European model. Some countries got that badge. What I find interesting is the decal on the sides

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
3/23/23 9:10 p.m.

In reply to nlevine :

Side markers are S1. Can't tell if the side glass is fixed or if it has power windows. Maybe this is a S1 with S2 upgrades? Love those wheels but the price is a bit optimistic 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/23/23 9:26 p.m.

What gearbox did they use ?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/23/23 10:06 p.m.

Looks like there are power window switches on the center console.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/23/23 10:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

What gearbox did they use ?

I have a friend who was the original owner of an S2. He said that his car came equipped from the factory with a "one of one, Formula Ford gearbox". When he couldn't get a clutch for it, he traded that car in on a new Twin Cam Special.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
3/23/23 10:39 p.m.

Yup. Missed that. 

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
3/23/23 10:48 p.m.

Doubt 1 of 1 but Lotus did use what was available.  These were the transition cars from the kit Era to true manufacturer status with the Elite and Esprit. Actually it'd be kinda cool. Bet it shifted a lot better than the Renault unit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wi2kPAqzCgNthZSyIuRN4l3u2NildO1T4gVYsQJIoHhsTAYVm3OLD6G6EZfCPTO8