1 2
TargaToy
TargaToy New Reader
10/10/19 2:15 p.m.

Hello, guys.  Long time reader and lurker.

I'm offering up for sale my 85 Supra which I picked up a few years back for the sole purpose of teaching all 3 of my daughters to drive manual transmission.  Each one learned in it and then used it as their "first car".  In almost every case, they were the only girls in their school who could work 3 pedals...and the car was among the coolest in the parking lot every year.  Right now, it's sitting outside and only occasionally serving as a backup vehicle.  Between other car and motorcycle projects...and weddings, I don't have any time or desire to tinker with this car any longer.  I'd like to see it go to a good home where it'll be appreciated and driven.   If anyone is interested, I live on the Delmarva Peninsula (Maryland) and would recommend that you bring a trailer.

The facts:

2.8L DOHC straight 6 with 5 speed and limited-slip IRS.  183k miles.  Motor runs very nicely and everything under the hood is original--no mods.  Power sunroof works.  Retractable headlights and fog lights work.  When I purchased this car from the original owner, everything worked except for the stereo.  I still have the stock radio in my possession but have replaced it with an aftermarket unit.  At this stage, the cruise control has stopped working and I have not explored the cause of that.  Also, the digital clock in the gauge cluster no longer works.  I did install the BillyM shift bushing kit which took a lot of the wiggle out of the stock shifter.  Digital pictures really do the car a bit more justice than reality would dictate.  I'll attach a few but wish to divulge all that this car needs.

Issues:

Battery--it needs one.  

Paint--there are points on the lower fenders and hatch lid with rust-through and some general oxidation in places with clear coat flaking.

Body--no major damage.  My son-in-law backed into the nose with his Jeep and bent the header panel between the headlights.  Didn't break the paint.  I pushed it out best I could.  Guys on the celicasupra forum sell these used.

Suspension--all original and intact.  Needs bushings and dampers.

Exhaust--There's a hole just above the tailpipe in the back of the muffler that makes the car sound...AWESOME!

AC--works but needs the occasional charge.  

Brakes--I replaced both front rotors and calipers.  The left front caliper had a slow leak from a seal from the time I installed it and at the time, I didn't have the time to fool with it.   A month or so ago, I started the car to move it and had a very soft pedal.  When I topped off the system and went to bleed the fronts, the valve on that same caliper snapped off (in the closed position). So, it needs a caliper.

Tires--very thin tread.

Interior--Very comfy and nice adjustable seats.  Upholstery is slightly sun-faded--and so is the carpet.  Some of the factory chrome plastic edging on the front seats has given up/chipped off.  I believe that stuff is the same as channeled door edge guard you get by the foot, and can be replaced.  The vinyl sills at the bottoms of the rear windows has completely died and split. Also, the retractable cover for the cargo area is started to split.   

Power antenna--motor turns whenever the car is started or turned off.  However, the antenna no longer telescopes.  It is, fortunately stuck in the UP position.

Drivetrain--Rear diff has a slow drip at the input shaft seal. I believe the output seals are good. 

Radiator--Shows signs of VERY slow seep around filler neck. You can see the green oxidation in the last photo.

Weather seals--Door glass seals nicely when closed--no leaks--but the sill seals are shot so the glass rattles when the windows are partly open.

That about sums up the love that this car might need.  It's fun to drive and has good low-end torque.  The spare tire is intact on a PERFECT matching 5th rim and I'm pretty sure it's never been mounted.  There's a MOMO steering wheel in the pictures but I'll be keeping that for another project so the stock wheel is going back in the car and it'll need covered or replaced. 

Feel free to ask questions or PM me if interested.

-Conrad

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/19 2:27 p.m.

Where are you located? Thats a nice looking car.

Edit: doh! See it in the description now.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/10/19 2:33 p.m.

YOU ARE KILLING ME, I love those cars and a great price.  

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/19 2:52 p.m.

Dead sexy @ a great price! GLWS!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/10/19 4:56 p.m.

Oh boy.  How much rust is underneath?  Any chance you could stick a camera under there?

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/10/19 5:07 p.m.

Oh Lord, one of the cars I drooled over as a teen.  my wife will kill me, my wife will kill me, my wife will kill me.....

TargaToy
TargaToy New Reader
10/10/19 5:56 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The last time I was under there I was impressed with how sound the underside was. IIRC that was when I replaced the in-tank fuel pump. 

I’ll try to get some shots and post them.

TargaToy
TargaToy New Reader
10/10/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

And my wife will consider you a hero...

So just weigh that out  

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
10/10/19 8:23 p.m.

Looks to be in very good shape from the photos, you should be proud, especially after 3 kids worth of learning to drive...I always liked these, but own too many cars.  Would love to come test drive it and relive 80s Toyota awesomeness, but then I'd take it home.  And I have no wife to weigh in either way :P.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/10/19 10:13 p.m.

I'll take it!  Been wanting another since I had one in high school.  PM sent (should show up in the email you registered with) with my contact info.  

It's funny,  but I have a brand new set of Eibach springs in my garage still in the box.  I bought them in the early 90s when I owned an 85 Supra,  but it caught fire and was totaled before I had a chance to install them and I've been hanging on to them all these years.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/19 10:52 p.m.

Dang, possibly sold on the same day.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/11/19 5:07 a.m.

This morning I woke thinking that I should just fly and drive for this.   Thanks for keeping it in the family Cotton, this increases the chances of seeing it for sale again some day.

TargaToy
TargaToy New Reader
10/11/19 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Hey, Cotton.  It's yours if you want it!

I'll reply to your email.

Thanks!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/11/19 7:32 a.m.

In reply to TargaToy :

Awesome!  I definitely want it.   I've always missed my old MKII. When you reply to my email please include your zip and I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling on the shipping quote.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/19 7:33 a.m.

Very cool car and great price. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/11/19 8:45 a.m.

This probably would not have survived my twin boys as learner car so this is for the best.  And my wife will not kill me.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
10/11/19 1:53 p.m.

One of my all-time favorites as well.  Wish I had the time for it.

Conrad, now show 'em your other project.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/11/19 5:15 p.m.

Well, this is definitely happening.  The Supra is paid for and the shipper is booked,  so now we just need to get the pickup and delivery dates nailed down.  Very excited on this end.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/11/19 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Congrats. I used this independent shipper to move a Prius from Ohio to  Illinois.

I was just one leg of his loop-trip which started out of Florida . I recommend just reaching out to him directly. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/19 6:34 p.m.
Cotton said:

Well, this is definitely happening.  The Supra is paid for and the shipper is booked,  so now we just need to get the pickup and delivery dates nailed down.  Very excited on this end.  

Gah damn, Jeff! you are fast! 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/11/19 8:01 p.m.
yupididit said:
Cotton said:

You know me man.  You need to come to Nashville once the new garage is finished and check out the fleet.  Bring that big Benz of yours!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/19 8:21 p.m.
Cotton said:
yupididit said:
Cotton said:

You know me man.  You need to come to Nashville once the new garage is finished and check out the fleet.  Bring that big Benz of yours!

When will it be done?

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
10/11/19 10:12 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Cotton :

Congrats. I used this independent shipper to move a Prius from Ohio to  Illinois.

I was just one leg of his loop-trip which started out of Florida . I recommend just reaching out to him directly. 

I was on the receiving end of this in IL. Highly recommend this dude

BBC

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/12/19 12:23 p.m.
yupididit said:
Cotton said:
yupididit said:
Cotton said:

When will it be done?

I really hope by the end of the year.  It's a somewhat challenging build site,  plus Nashville is very busy construction wise,  so things have been slow going up to this point.

FourBlades
FourBlades New Reader
10/12/19 7:50 p.m.

My buddy had this exact car that he bought brand new when we graduated college in 1985.

I would love to show up at his house with it and blow his mind.

Too many cars already.

John

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cbvmZHbqKShQeIEXa9yb9jZ964FvbWkXnTqhOqG5tCDTc5z6T8RWngxRmk4DcWo0