1 2
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/18 11:51 p.m.

I think it's time to move it on down the road. I haven't driven since the autox a couple weeks ago, and I hadn't even started it for weeks before that. I also realized this evening that it's becoming a shelf. 

The details are all here in my build thread, though sadly the pics are not. Here's the high and low points.

Good:

• Rebuilt 350 with mild cam, new Holley 650dp, and new HEI distributor. It has 10 autox runs and about 300 miles on it
  • Z51 package w/HD cooling, 1.94 turn lock-to-lock steering, and higher spring rates
  • Completely rebuilt stock brakes
  • New radiator, alternator, and fuel pump
  • New Riken Raptor tires on 18x10 wheels
  • All lights work & bulbs are new, except headlights
  • Brand new windshield 
  • Power window mechanisms overhauled
  • New ignition switch and lock
  • Recovered steering wheel
  • Uncracked dash & rest of the interior in very good condition for being 33-years old
  • New rear hatch struts
  • Diff fluid flushed & with new synthetic fluid & LSD additive

Bad:

• Digital dash does the disco - it lights up & flashes randomly, but doesn't display any info
  • Neither the heat nor a/c work. I believe the heater core is bad(it's bypassed), and the a/c compressor is rebuilt, but the fan won't turn on
  • Has cracks on the driver's side 1/4-panel from a tree limb
  • No radio
  • The TC clutch on the trans doesn't lock up, I've not tried manually overriding it
  • The weatherstripping around the doors/targa top/hatch need replaced, it leaks in the rain
  • Has a slight battery drain from somewhere in the interior

It's still wearing its Challenge livery, but will be on the yellow wheels below.

The original acrylic targa top is cracked, but an uncracked fiberglass one is included. Both are plasti-dipped black.

It runs/drives/stops very well, and is easy to drive at the limit. The Bilstien shocks are possibly original, but they're not blown. I removed the rear swaybar for autox, but it is included.

Also available separately/negotiable:

• OE 16" turbine wheels
  • Stock TPI system
  • Original Bose radio & speakers, not working but worth a few $$
  • New front suspension bushing kit
  • I think I'm forgetting some things...

I'm pretty firm on price, but may consider trades or partial trades.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Pete Gossett
3/11/18 6:29 p.m.

...And my first offer was a trade for an 06 CRF 230F. While I don't know the specifics of that model, I'm 100% sure I can't afford the hospital bills from owning it. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/18 7:12 p.m.

Good luck with the sale.  It was kind of bitter sweet when I unloaded my Vette.  Your car was a fun ride for all of us.  But , I'm having fun with my Volvo.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/11/18 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Why do idiots always want to trade old dirt bikes?

Pete Gossett
3/11/18 7:59 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Why do idiots always want to trade old dirt bikes?

Because they can't afford the hospital bills either?

At this point the trades that are on the top of my list would be an NA6 Miata(especially if it was already STS prepped), or Festiva/Aspire(with a swap/parts/mods). Though I'm certain someone will offer something completely unexpected that catches my interest at some point. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/11/18 8:26 p.m.

I offer a ps3, an rc car, and a corolla. 

Pete Gossett
3/11/18 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Of those three the Corolla is the only one I'd have any use for. Lol

Pete Gossett
3/12/18 2:37 p.m.

Hmm... I just received a trade offer on this, but unless it's worth more than the Vette I don't really have a use for it. 

Pete Gossett
3/12/18 3:55 p.m.

Now an offer of 2000 Escalade 4x4, with 147k on chassis, but supposedly only 40k on the engine & trans. However the paint & interior are trashed. Somewhat tempting, but no. 

I'm kinda enjoying this though. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
3/12/18 5:19 p.m.

The offers to trade on CL for it may be an entertaining 90 page thread here.laugh

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
3/12/18 5:48 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Hmm... I just received a trade offer on this, but unless it's worth more than the Vette I don't really have a use for it. 

that's worth $5k up here if its running/driving

Pete Gossett
3/12/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

It is, and that thought crossed my mind, but I'd probably have to sit on it until fall to get the max return on it. Then deal with towing it up & dealing with buyers up there. 

Pete Gossett
3/12/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

They seem to be coming from a broad cross section of society too. I guess there's more people who like C4s than there are people willing to admit they like C4s. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/18 9:29 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I guess there's more people who like C4s than there are people willing to admit they like C4s. 

Im unsure if i should raise my hand or not.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/14/18 2:14 p.m.

I'm tempted to offer you your old Miata in trade, but that isn't the car that I need right now. 

Pete Gossett
3/14/18 8:10 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I was going to ask if you'd be interested in selling the suspension off it?

Pete Gossett
3/25/18 6:35 p.m.

I had my first real-life tire-kicker today, so I spent some time getting most of the Challenge decals off, swapping wheels, & giving it a good cleaning. 

The guy ended up being a bit...weird. Supposedly he was checking it out for his son-in-law in college at Mobile. At ~6’2” and ~300lbs he could barely mold himself into the passenger seat. He did say the car was in better condition than he expected, and he wasn’t put off be the fiberglass damage at all. I’ll still be surprised if I hear back from him though. 

Pete Gossett
3/30/18 10:20 a.m.

I guess I won’t be selling the Vette anytime soon - I can’t find the title. It was in the center console, but I’m pretty sure I removed it before the Challenge last year & put it someplace safe. I have no clue where that place was & haven’t had any luck after spending an hour searching this morning. 

Oh well, at least IL has online registration renewals. It expires tomorrow. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/30/18 10:28 a.m.

You should be able to just go to the DMV and apply for a lost title, pay a fee and get a new one, since the DMV records will confirm you as the owner.

Pete Gossett
3/30/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Danny Shields :

I can, but I’m in MS and the car is registered in IL. I have the title, hopefully eventually I’ll remember where I put it. 

Pete Gossett
4/3/18 9:07 a.m.

I found the title!

It was buried under 10lbs of E36 M3 on my workbench. I really need to clean my garage...

Since I need the room for a pair of Miatas, I’ll make a Challenge-friendly deal for someone: $2000 for the Vette + $1000 for all the spares. There are enough parts on the car that you could sell off & reduce your Challenge budget, plus more than zero out the parts package. 

kneebone
kneebone New Reader
4/3/18 10:34 a.m.

Totally enjoying this thread, you'll sell it, or, like you said, someone will get your interest with a trade.

If it was on the West coast (Oregon), i would take you up on that deal.

Good luck!!

Pete Gossett
4/3/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to kneebone :

Shipping can be quite reasonable if you have the patience to wait for a good deal. ;-)

stephen
stephen New Reader
4/3/18 4:41 p.m.

I'm a pretty patient guy, let me know if you don't get any bites soon.

What does shipping to Portland, Oregon cost? $1000?

Thanks, Steve

Pete Gossett
4/3/18 7:22 p.m.

In reply to stephen :

I think if you’re patient you could find someone heading back your direction empty who’d do it for closer to half that. I know John Welsh has a guy who’ll typically haul from FL to OH for around $250, and it looks like you & I are just over twice the distance apart. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bBuOqZ3OMGMX4kIzVtdm8CFORkxUy7iPA9C52d6VwpByppIKbDSYPvx2QK4ULmm3