Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/1/21 4:05 p.m.

Not saying it's not worth it- I don't know race cars for squat and I'm sure it's a bargain, but a 10k neon hurts my brain. 

My dick can only get so erect. 

johndej
johndej Dork
2/1/21 4:40 p.m.

I'd be tempted to see if bring a trailer might take it...

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
2/1/21 4:55 p.m.

I would send BAT  an inquiry. They love cars with stories & history. The right buyer might see it. 

If I didn't have 6 neon and a bunch of turbo dodges it would be setting here. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/1/21 5:16 p.m.

Wow. I remember when I was a kid and these were the new hot stuff in showroom stock racing.

Now it’s come back around and it’s old enough to be a bit collectable.

I guess that means I’m getting old or something.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow. I remember when I was a kid and these were the new hot stuff in showroom stock racing.

I own a neon that is older than me. Unsure how that makes me feel. 

alldave
alldave
2/3/21 3:52 p.m.

Just to confirm, it can be licensed for street driving? Mainly asking because my plan would be to drive it home - though that'll raise the miles by a goodly amount.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/3/21 6:31 p.m.

In reply to alldave :

I'm gonna guess you're not in the north.

I don't want to queer the sale but here up north in the snow/salt/rust season, driving anything pristine on the street (or on an uncovered trailer) is something I wouldn't recommend doing until late March. 

alldave
alldave New Reader
2/4/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Drunkonunleaded :

Thanks for your honesty. I was looking over the equipment and wondering about that, not to mention whether it could pass the physical NJ inspection. I am coming from way out east. I'll look up trailer rentals. Yes, I'd probably ask if I could put down a deposit and pick up later if not using Reliable.

wae
wae UberDork
2/5/21 9:35 a.m.

PM sent

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
2/6/21 9:27 p.m.

This is pretty awesome...

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
2/7/21 7:54 p.m.

Yeah they're getting pretty rare, and these pedigreed ones almost never turn up.  I bought a low-mileage ACR years ago and it was a blast, but I sold it for some stupid reason.  Best of luck with your sale!

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/21 11:11 a.m.

Interested if still for sale.

Racingcomputers@yahoo.com

Regards

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/21 12:06 p.m.

If it weren't winter and in Michigan, I'd love for our host to be able to send JG up to get some seat time with it on track to review. There's history with showroom stock and neons have been a staple of the community for decades, this would be one of the last chances to review a factory prepared effort for what it was and to compare it to what's available today and what one could build for themselves if starting from scratch. 

Put me in the camp of thinking that it's worth every dollar. You're not getting a clean neon in that condition for $2000, let alone an ACR. Then factor in the cage, The limited slip, the suspension. You quickly get to that number before even factoring in the history and that it was developed and put together by the factory. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/21 3:29 p.m.

Yeah, it's the story that makes it special. I'd also see if BaT would take it. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I own a neon that is older than me. Unsure how that makes me feel. 

I'm older than the Neon, Lexus, Infiniti, hell son I'm older than the Rolls Royce Corniche. 

RacingComputers
2/21/21 1:38 p.m.

Old, who's old, Schrader accuses me of spotting for Ben Hur.

That's old

Still interested OP.

Thanks

RacingComputers
2/25/21 4:21 p.m.

Email receoved.

Thanks

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/28/21 1:02 a.m.

Additionally, there is a GREAT album of photos from the 1998 Grand Prix of Minnesota weekend located here: http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1998/USRRCTA/Neon/.

I attended the Grand Prix of Minnesota in 1998, so I probably saw this car in action.  smiley

(The GP of MN was well organized and a blast to watch, but unfortunately only lasted for a couple years...I imagine the organizers ran out of financial backing, and the city government was lukewarm at best about it.)

jsturdy388
jsturdy388
12/29/21 9:49 p.m.

Still available?

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
2/3/22 6:36 a.m.

I was at the Detroit Grand Prix in 94, definitely watched these race.  It was shocking to see how fast and loud the Grand Prix cars were.   One of the Neons lost a wheel coming on to the front straight, I remember not thinking much of the lowly Neon.  

My FIL had one that he drove to work and back for 200k electrical gremlins put it out of its misery, he loved that car.  Crazy thing, my FIL and Dad, who I watched the race with are both gone now.   This car just reminds me of both of them. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/22 12:43 a.m.

If this is still for sale this summer it may need to come south and become a dedicated HPDE car and possibly go vintage racing some day.  

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
3/14/23 11:24 a.m.

Sold.  Please delete.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GaMm64cZ90nZXK8VKVqNuHtqzSdihtyOuoSZBrxjQqIP6ZCRCf7IfL9Z8V17odUR