preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/22 10:27 p.m.
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/28/22 10:39 p.m.

That is actually in pretty decent condition compared to the other ones i've seen. smiley 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/28/22 11:51 p.m.

The several I've seen for sale, in the past 40 years have all been in much better condition. But not for 200. Not even prior to the crazy. 
'Course even with all their glass in place, and 'glass intact, they have all been non runnersblush

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/29/22 7:35 a.m.

It wouldnt be bad. Super low tech. Like an old golf cart. Update it to lithium packs from a Leaf and a nice high amp PWM controller. Make it as fast as you want. 

also i think those are "citi cars"

edit: citicars https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar

made in Sebring Fl back in the day. I wonder if anyone got on track with one at sebring, most uninteresting lap ever at sebring. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 4:10 p.m.

Fast is possible, but safe at over '70s golf cart speeds. Not gonna happen! Heck modern golf carts are faster and safer. cheeky

now drop a , well, butt ugly (but interesting) body on a modern side by side... might be on to something 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/22 4:27 p.m.

I've seen one on the loose in Grand Junction. Missed my chance to pull over and get a picture with it. But at least one still functions :)

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I remember them new; although not quite driving yet, I was already hard core into cars. 
Never seen one in use - not even back then!!!

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
7/29/22 7:12 p.m.

IIRC, when Consumer Reports tested one of these, during the brake test the bolts securing one of the calipers sheared. It got a Not Acceptable rating, placing it in the rarefied company of the Subaru 360, the Suzuki Samurai, etc. 

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
7/29/22 7:19 p.m.

Ah, I found it. I was wrong, it was the Elcar 2000 that had the brake/suspension failure, although the Citicar was also rated not acceptable.  Can't belive I remember this stuff from reading print magazines back in the day. 

Here's a recap. https://thechez.car.blog/about/research/magazines/consumer-reports-october-1975/

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/29/22 9:19 p.m.

IIRC there were more of those sold in the US than any other electric car until the Leaf came along. That's an impressive amount of time to hold that record.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WWwGWqcSzfUMMSsu84CXIzZNWksNnwYocgeQcQ1qfalgxAlT2OdWSj360S5a3QnA