1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/22 9:06 p.m.

Well, someone asked why I didn't advertise this car here. For once, you get what you ask for.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited, 6MT, with recently fitted low-mileage 2016 motor (with paperwork), 2020 OEM airbox and 2017+ tail lights. Approx 152k on the chassis, less than 30k on the engine. Comes with a second set of wheels (bronze Enkei RPF-1s fitted with Falken RT660s).

Put this together as a daily driver I could occasionally take to an HPDE, with an eye on improving on-track reliability. Not a garage queen (hence the miles) and yes, it's been on the track a few times. Clean and clear WV title in my name in hand, WV inspection until 2/2023.

Mod list - from memory, might be missing a mod or two:

•  FTSpeed catted header w/ HKS overpipe and Perrin 2.5" exhaust. Car also comes with the OEM header
  • Openflash tune for the above, tablet comes with the car. Pretty much eliminates the torque dip
  • JDM Aero underpanels
  • Yellow Konis with stock springs
  • Koyo Radiator
  • Jackson Racing oil cooler
  • Killer-B oil pickup
  • Oil pan baffle plate (GReddy, I believe - I'll have to check)
  • Mishimoto metal coolant header tank
  • Metal coolant filler neck and silicone radiator hoses
  • Minor brake upgrades - braided lines, Carbotech XP10 pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid that's a couple of months old
  • Verus Engineering forged clutch fork
  • Verus Engineering fuel flap
  • MTEC clutch spring for better clutch feel. Makes the clutch slightly heavier, but it's barely noticeable and even I with my recurring clutch foot issues can easily manage it.
  • Alpine headunit with Carplay/Android Auto

Some additional recent work on the car:

• Clutch replaced with a full OEM spec Exedy clutch kit when I had the engine replaced
  • Engine mounts replaced with new OEM mounts
  • Replacement engine started throwing the dreaded P0018 so I had the whole timing set and all four actuators replaced so we only had to go in there once
  • All four brake calipers and rotors replaced last year - front were remans, rears brand new OEM Subaru. One front caliper replaced again in the last couple of months after it waved a white flag on the track

I've got it on the Faceballs at a new low low price of $12250 and am more than happy to apply a noticeable GRM discount - call it $11k even.

May consider a partial trade for a winter-beaterish car. Ideally AWD, wouldn't say no to a SAAB or Volvo V70R, the latter obviously with some cash going the other way, or a straight up trade for a good condition 1st gen Ridgeline.

BoxheadTim
7/20/22 9:09 p.m.

BoxheadTim
7/20/22 9:14 p.m.

Picture with the Enkei RPF1s:

BoxheadTim
7/20/22 9:25 p.m.

And because this is GRM, of course I'd consider a Miata as a (partial) trade.

Build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2013-subaru-brz-the-salaryman-build/181557/page1/

And yes, this was one of the cars that really triggered my inverse Midas touch. It's been behaving itself since the brake caliper issue, has survived a couple of HPDE days with no new funny noises and a 500+ mile road trip.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/20/22 9:59 p.m.

This looks like a really good deal in the current market.  Wish I could justify it to myself.  I suspect it won't take long to sell.

NC240Zed
NC240Zed New Reader
7/21/22 1:31 p.m.

Not well versed on the twins; is the engine replacement and timing issue typical? Seems like a fun DD, feel like it's reliable for that? A/C cold?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/22 1:33 p.m.

Oh E36 M3.  I'm glad you are far far away.  But damn that could be a fun fly 'n drive

Edit:  Double E36 M3.  You aren't actually far away anymore.  I thought you were on the west coast.

*puts on thinking hat*

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 1:49 p.m.
NC240Zed said:

Not well versed on the twins; is the engine replacement and timing issue typical? Seems like a fun DD, feel like it's reliable for that? A/C cold?

Re the engine playing me the song of its people - seems to depend on who you ask. Failures, especially on the early ones don't seem to be that uncommon on tracked cars, but then again some people have tracked theirs forever and never had an issue. It should have had all the potential reasons for the original engine failure addressed by using a later engine and all the oil cooler/oil pickup/baffle plate shenanigans.

The timing set issue again is not that typical, but it's also not exactly unknown. Usually it's one of the cam phasers deciding to take a vacay, but given that I was paying shop rates for the replacement and it's almost the same amount of work, I had the whole timing set replaced with all four phasers so we don't have to go in there again.

A/C is cold, heater also works. I've DD'd it off and on since I had the replacement engine put in with no further issues (other than the one front reman caliper starting to stick on the track, but I replaced that already). That includes longer trips like a backroad trip down to Lewisburg WV and back.

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 1:50 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Moved to this coast about three years ago.

Happy to pick up a GRMer at Dulles airport if they want to do a fly & drive

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/22 1:57 p.m.

Ok, you got PM.  I need to think through logistics and have a quick chat, but yeah... I 99% want.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/22 2:01 p.m.

$11,000 is a steal. I hope it stays in the GRM family.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
7/21/22 2:31 p.m.

Do you want a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport that has had an exciting life?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/21/22 2:39 p.m.

I'm trying to talk Prodarwin through that last 1% so I don't have to buy it.

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 2:58 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Do you want a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport that has had an exciting life?

That depends on the kind of exciting and how much damage that did...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
7/21/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

It has mild body damage on one side (we have been driving it this way for years), a crunchy 4th gear, an EJ20 bottom end with EJ25 AVCS heads on it, and 207k miles.  But it also runs and drives and has sweet Hella lights, King springs, and a Primitive skidplate on it so there's that.

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

That does sound a bit more like an exciting project than I'm currently looking for.

moxnix
moxnix Dork
7/21/22 3:45 p.m.

What kind of miata would you be looking at for trade?

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 3:50 p.m.
moxnix said:

What kind of miata would you be looking at for trade?

When it comes to Miatae, I'm pretty much open to all models. No massive preferences although I do appear to have a specific weakness for NAs.

BoxheadTim
7/21/22 9:07 p.m.

Pending to ProDarwin.

fnh
fnh New Reader
7/21/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
7/21/22 10:54 p.m.

I'm assuming this is sold, but let me know if it doesn't :)

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/22/22 11:30 a.m.

Golly-gosh is a a pretty color. wow. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/22/22 1:29 p.m.

Ah man. I would be interested in this given the price but I simply do not have anywhere to put anymore cars. I really need to work on selling my XJR. I'll pm you.

BoxheadTim
7/22/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Will do - I think you're #3 in line right now.

BoxheadTim
7/22/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

PM replied to.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qFo6v5c6uLYCeFEbxkI5mqPAvSgYrRDGj9kaAXjMIsU2BQdclSKy8Rx17fkOZmmm