nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/26/22 11:04 p.m.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/1979-mercedes-benz-240d-sedan-low-miles-1100-c-a9a4a8096b

It looks like it has some needs, but if those 47K miles are accurate, it should outlive most of us...

1979 Mercedes-Benz 240D Sedan **Low Miles**

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/22 10:35 a.m.

This car looks really nice. I wonder how much will it go for. 

IIRC the California spec diesel cars had some unwanted emission stuff that would kill the engine. Might have been the 300s. 

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
12/29/22 12:26 p.m.

Slow as sin but very nice condition 

128racecar
128racecar Reader
12/30/22 8:46 a.m.

The Arizona sun and heat hasn't been to kind to the interior, but I've seen lots of parts cars with the same color interior that have held up, so parts are out there. The miles are shockingly low. Would be a cool arrive-and-drive. It will get a good price, but may still be a good value if you plan to keep it, as the interior will dissuade some flippers from going crazy on the bidding. I used to own a 1974, 1979, and 1980 240Ds and 1982 300D, and did all my own service work. They are slow, but bulletproof. If you do the basic service stuff and replace the age/sun aged rubber parts, this car will likely outlive most buyers.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
12/30/22 8:59 a.m.

One more thing- if you are thinking about buying it, don't forget to check for rust. Just because it has low miles, has California plates, and currently resides in Arizona doesn't mean it's not there. Because it is a sunroof car, I would want to see a picture underneath the car behind the driver and passenger seat, as well as an interior shot of the floor behind the driver's and passenger's front seats with the mat, carpet, and insulation pulled. Water would tend to get past the sunroof weather seal, and travel down the B pillar to get to this area. Here is a YouTube of what to look for on these cars. When my son sold the one I gave him, we shot a video to link on Craigslist. The Mercedes forum folks picked up on it because it showed all the bad stuff to look for, and it now has a surprising 75K views!: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAaYPmDq2g&t=85s

Marc in Indy

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
12/30/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

Hunting for a BMW 2002, I've seen rusty cars in California,  Colorado, Arizona.... Damn, they love to rust. Same, to a lesser degree with the w123

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XENrU35mNiVjm8As5vkuCAkJjgEAp6zITcvHErcRUZQd8iyLaAWDCYgCiE4RUahY