miller555
miller555
4/14/20 2:45 p.m.

Hello, I'm not really sure exactly where to put this so I'll put it in a couple forums trying to find the correct one. I have a few questions about a vehicle that I recently inherited after the death of my father and I was hoping to be able to find someone who might be able to help me appraise the vehicle so I don't get screwed over while trying to sell it. The vehicle in question is a Dodge Dakota Sport 1994 which my father had converted into a convertible. it has a removable hardtop and roll bars which are currently not on the vehicle. He also had the vehicle lowered by several inches. I believe the height of the vehicle is at the lowest legal limit in the state of Ohio. The miles are just under 20,000. The reason why the vehicle has not seen Much use, after my father had gotten the conversion he noticed that the roof would leak and was not adequate for a daily driver. He decided to keep it in storage until he got it fixed however he never acquired the money to be able to finish the project. I'm not sure if the engine is in an original Factory conversion, the engine a V8, is either something that he purchased extra from Chrysler or he had a part kit added to the engine. But he always mentioned that the engine was more powerful than a factory model. The vehicle also has mag wheels And is a manual.The vehicle will still start and sounds great. Vehicle has a few problems, the biggest one is the one that I mentioned earlier about the roof leaking after the convertible conversion. Another problem that stems from the conversion as well are the windows are hard to roll up and down and we'll probably need some work to get finished. There's also been some damage to the upholstery since it has been stored for so long. I plan to eventually get the vehicle washed but it's difficult because of the roof. there's a layer of dust on the vehicle and on the wheels so please take that in mind when looking at the pictures. I'm sorry if the pictures seem awkward I was unable to take the vehicle out of the garage.

https://imgur.com/a/TEqMg3Z

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/20 3:02 p.m.

Hmmmm.....This is a tough one. I can go out in the marketplace in Denver which puts a premium on anything 4X4 and get something like this for $2500 only it's a 4X4 and no cut top. Magnum 318 was an option for that year with the NV 5 speed. Looks like headers were added. 

Personally, I would try to realign the roof and get it welded back in place and rattle can the welded area. Then put it on CL for $2500 and see who bites. With a cut roof....as it sits....maybe $1500?? 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/14/20 3:11 p.m.

These were available as a factory rag top, and I have heard they all leaked toosad

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/20 4:24 p.m.

20,000 miles is remarkable for a 1994 and is maybe the truck's biggest selling point IF you can document the progression of mileage readings through maintenance records, history reports, maybe even owner's notes or whatever.  Without documentation, potential buyers will tend to not believe the odometer reading is true. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/20 4:54 p.m.

I'd price it at $5000 obo and see what happens. You might find someone who thinks it's the best thing ever & will be thrilled if you accept $4k for it, or you may end up dropping the price little by little & be happy when someone finally hands you $1200 6-months from now. It's just too unique, yet not collectible, to have any accurate assessment of its value. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/14/20 8:06 p.m.

I'm in Ohio and am a Dakota fan. It's a $1-1.5k truck, and I'm interested.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/20 8:48 p.m.

That's a weird one. Without knowing in debth what motor is in it and proof of milage I'd say around a 2k truck. If your local I can take a look at it and see if I can figure anything out. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
4/14/20 11:42 p.m.

Could that be a home built hard top on a Shelby?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
4/15/20 12:13 a.m.

I would clean it and wax it up good, then put a $4k price tag on it and see what happens. Some people love oddballs things like this and would love to show it off.

I think all the Shelbys were auto trucks.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/20 6:04 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

I believe so also. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/20 7:29 a.m.

I can't help much because I can't get the pictures to open.  Look through the paperwork and the interior for labels or info on who may have made the kit for whacking the roof.  Most people just don't hacksaw the thing off with no clues.  If it's a kit, perhaps the manufacturer has resolved the leak issues and it can be a decent 'vert to someone.

Let us know how this ends.

Dan

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/15/20 7:36 a.m.

I built one with my dad in 98 or so, I believe it was a snugtop kit. It was awesome and leaked like they all do lol. As others have said, polish it and try to sell for $4-5 (more documentation the better) but it's unlikely to find a buyer at that. The real "dodge built" versions have started seeing an uptick so maybe that will bleed over but it hasn't yet.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/20 9:19 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

I would clean it and wax it up good, then put a $4k price tag on it and see what happens. Some people love oddballs things like this and would love to show it off.

I think all the Shelbys were auto trucks.

The Shelby's were all Red or White and they were 89's with autos and bench seats (with Shelby cloth).  That front end is the later style.  Chrysler made the V8 available as an option in the later trucks, but they were only 318's.  Many swapped in the 360 from the Ram to get a little extra displacement.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/20 11:55 a.m.

I would buy it because mid-sized trucks are the size of my 1990 full size now!

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/15/20 12:23 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

As would I.  A convertible truck would be interesting, but maybe not in rainy PNW.

Though, I'm weird and would want one of the 4-cylinder ones as that's all I would need for my use.  Add a supercharger/turbocharger and/or swap it to a 2.4L DOHC from a PT/SRT-4 and have something quick and a bit more efficient :)

That saying, I wouldn't kick a 360 out of bed ;)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/20 12:59 p.m.

I though they originally came with a 3.9 V-6.  No matter, so light out back it won't hook up anyway.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/15/20 1:10 p.m.

That thing absolutely rules and if I already didn't have a driveway/garage full of vehicles I'm not using, I'd be all over this. The only thing I don't have right now is a minitruck or a convertible, so two in one? Score.

As for being lowered to the most legal limit, I don't think Ohio even comes close to caring about modified ride height—up or down.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
4/15/20 1:22 p.m.
914Driver said:

I though they originally came with a 3.9 V-6.  No matter, so light out back it won't hook up anyway.

• 1987–1988 - 2.2 L (135 cu in) K I4, SOHC, 97 hp (72 kW)
  • 1987–1991 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) LA V6, 125 hp (93 kW)
  • 1989–1995 - 2.5 L (150 cu in) K I4, 99 hp (74 kW)
  • 1991 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) LA V8, 170 hp (127 kW)
  • 1992–1993 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 180 hp (134 kW)
  • 1992–1993 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 230 hp (172 kW)
  • 1994–1996 - 3.9 L (238 cu in) Magnum V6, 175 hp (130 kW)
  • 1994–1996 - 5.2 L (318 cu in) Magnum V8, 225 hp (168 kW)
  • 1996 - 2.5 L (150 cu in) AMC I4, 120 hp (89 kW)
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/20 1:38 p.m.

Those are '65 Mustang seats with aftermarket upholstery on them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gt4dFWWapFFdr4EzO5zXN4OV90FemGSDZC5PnkWerTM1vIFU4xKSNo3nsUaRhOT5